1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

When a dyno run goes very wrong

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A sad day for a Shelby owner.

ss

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

So much for built Ford tough!!

Sure did sound bad a$$ though and i'm not a Ford guy.

Matt

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

cool and I was just looking at one at the nearest Ford Dealership. $54k

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I bet it was the guy sitting in the trunk that caused it! Every dyno I have been on they never have someone sitting in the trunk. Birdtracker

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

also an engine guy near me had a 500 inch blown Hemi explode in a dyno room and it actually blew the back wall out of the shop. Birdtracker

6. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I remember years ago Ernie Elliott had one blow on the dyno & it is definitely a sight & sound you won't forget.

i_shoot

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I do know that when you pay for a Dyno, you sign a waiver for any damages incurred. I saw them dyno my Harley and thought they'd blow it up. Generally they take it to redline thennnnnnn just above.

8. sanremo

sanremo Member

Very un professional dyno run, sounds like they ran over redline. also sounds like the clutch blew!

9. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Yep,by the tone of that engine before it scattered im sure it was way over red line !!!!!!!!!.It kinda looked like it may be a good crew to have on a new realality show on the History or Discovery Channel.

Sandy Holehouse.

10. neofight

neofight TS Member

Judging from their casual stroll about the scene, this may not have been their first rodeo. "Hey Manny, do we have time to break a couple more?"

11. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

SAD thing to do to a nice car...

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Looks like the engine swallowed a valve, and it appears to be oil smoke coming out the exhaust.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

That was pretty mild compared to a few I saw in person. Might have something to do with the blowers on top, but there were parts flying everywhere. We had concrete partitions to contain the bad ones. That was back a few years when we were interested in how many horsepower we could produce before one let go and what worked to help keep them together. These days, we had used the dynos for verification of emissions systems and calibrations.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Over-revved and over-boosted....sad to see a fine machine ruined...hope the tuners were responsible for a new mill

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. TOOLMAKER 251 hit this one square on the head. The flames were from the oil that was sent everywhere when the piston and rod left the engine via the oil pan and block.

ss

16. grntitan

Looks/sounds like the Turbo self destructed to me. You could hear the turbo or turbos spooling up. I don't think put'n a valve thru the piston would cause the flames. It usually just locks it. My understanding of the vid was (2) seperate pulls on the dyno. I could be wrong though. I drive a semi and have had my share of blown Turbos. When you blow a turbo the exhaust smokes like an old Steam Engine. It can suck pieces of the turbo's fins into the engine and oil goes everywhere. Just my guess anyway.

SS--Did it say somewhere what actually happened? I didn't see it.

Matt

17. Mapper

Mapper Member

Was that a yellow shift light up on the dash that came on before it let go? That would explain a lot.

18. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Matt,

Im in full agreement with you.That thing injested parts of the Turbo,then stuff went flyinn in all directions.

Sandy Holehouse.

19. white rattler

white rattler Member

I could be wrong but I do not think that the Shelby runs a Turbo. I think that they have a supercharger on them. Anyway it was a pretty low end looking shop with a bunch of home boys. Trevor Dawe.

20. grntitan

Trevor--Actually your right and i'm wrong. Hell it says right on the Vid that its a "Supercharged GT500". Sure sounded like a turbo spooling to me. I stand corrected. Maybe time for me to look at some reading glasses. It was clearly marked in bold red letters.

Now if they were running some NOS on it they could have had a seperation of the mixture. This causes the fuel to stay in the intake called "puddling" which can ignite in the intake and go BOOM!! Just not enough info to determine. I believe this only happens with wet kits. Most have switched to the safer dry kits which help prevent this. If they have backfire ports in the intake it can often prevent serious engine damage and could mimic the flame up they had. Then you can also have the issue of running NOS and having it run too lean and causing preignition. Just not enough info. We are all guessing...........

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dino runs gone bad

dyno runs gone bad