1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHEN 1100 WAS KING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

When the REMINGTON 1100 was a pretty common gun for trap shooting did they use different barrels for doubles / singles / & handicap ? I wasn't shooting trap at that time & I have the Remington Trap video & they shoot 1100s - since Remington was involved in target shooting I was wondering if they had different barrels or guns for each event .
    Thanks fro the info.
    SOUP

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Before there were choke tubes, we changed barrels if we felt the need.

One of the reasons for the popularity of the 870s and the 1100s of the day.

ed.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

hit:

It was also common for 1100 shooters to carry a back up gun and/or a box full of spare parts.

Been there and done that...

sissy

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

30 inch full choke works just fine for all three events~~~no need to change barrels~~~

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You bet. Other than being a great shooter changing barrels cheaply was one of their major plusses.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the 2 biggest lies in shooting and hunting---#1 a guy with a bird dog says" she's never gotten out, that far" #2 a guy with an 1100 says " that's the first time it ever failed to fire"!!!! but i will say- 1100 shooters normally whip my butt in long shot games ( they are aimers) and i admire them for being loyall to their arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

What? It's not still king???lol

Ken Rucker

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

No Ken, it isn't. When it comes to autos, Beretta dominates.

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Only in your mind, Joe!! LOL!!! They will never dominate at my house.

Ken

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Nor at my house! Jeff

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have all 3, Beretta, Super-X 2, and many, many 1100's.

The 1100 feels better than any of the others. Don't ask me why, it just does. Whatever fit/balance/weight parameters there are, I still like the 1100 feel.

Think I'll sell the other 2.

HM

12. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Over time, I repeatedly put aside my expensive guns and come back to my 1100. Just so darn easy to shoot!

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, believe it or not, I'm not being bias...unlike others. I've owned many Remington autos and I still like them (heck, I still shoot my 20ga 58 the best for Skeet) but I've made the switch along with many others because of reliability issues. It's no accident that Beretta autos dominate in Sporting Clays, nor is it accidental that the dove hunting outfitters have switched (you can't deny this fact...but, you probably will). It really is an apple/orange comparison these days. If I only used a gun for waterfowl, it would be the Benelli....what ever the best tool for the job.

I do see many Master class Sporting Clays shooters use Beretta autos and I know of not even one (nor have I heard of any) that use 1100's. I can't even think of any A class that do. Is a Beretta auto perfect? No, but none of them are really. I do believe that you can easily make a Beretta auto ultra reliable though.

When something better comes out, I don't care if Mossburg makes it, that's what I'll shoot.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't recall the Model 1100 ever being the King. The model 12, yes.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Which autoloading target shotgun is "best" depends upon your priorities. If utter dependability is the main goal, the Berettas are the gun for you. But if you're recoil-sensitive and want a gun that will extend the time you are able to shoot, there's nothing better than an 1100 or its Remington kin.

I was strongly considering buying one of the Beretta autoloaders until I read and heard first-hand that they kick significantly harder than 1100s. In fact, I have what I consider to be a very soft-shooting 870TC and one Beretta shooter who used it for an event when his gun broke down (yes, they do break down, too) said it felt no different to him than his Beretta.

I'll stick with my 1100.

Ed

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Last time I attended the final Eastern Zone shoot held in Hamilton, Ontario I returned with two disabled 1100's-not enough spare parts. I subsequently purchased the real king of semi-autos-a Winchester SX-1!!

17. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have two 1100 trap shotguns. One of which I had the Remington armorers go through at the '07 Grand. I seem to hit the targets halfway decent with them, but over the last years time, I have had two extractors break, one bolt buffer break, and one link twist. This is more malfunctions than all my other shotguns combined. I usually shoot factory one ounce loads, so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe I am just unlucky when it comes to the 1100?

I think that Tron may be giving good info with regards to the Beretta autos, I purchased a 391 trap several months ago, and have not shot it as much as the 1100's, but I have not had one problem with it. I just cannot hit the targets as well with it as the 1100.

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have three 1100's and two of them are the 70's vintage. I had to replace my forearm support and operating handle detent ball and spring when returning from the 2006 Iowa state trap shoot. The gun never failed to fire for me and I did not know anything was broken until I took it apart for cleaning. I have had the gun since I bought it used in 1976 and although I did not shoot registered trap until 2001, I shot the crap out of it on everything from quail, steel loads at ducks and geese, sporting clays and of course a few rounds of trap and skeet every year. Parts are very cheap and available from Remington or Brownells at prices starting at $3.
    I have nothing against Beretta's other than they cost about twice as much to buy and 10 times as much to buy parts for.

19. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I Believe that "LEO the King" completed his Grand Slam with an 1100

20. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I love my 11/87 Premier trap and 1978 (or so) 1100 TB trap, each with a step rib 30" barrel. They shoot where I look and are very reliable. I clean them after every weekend shoot or 500 rounds and keep extra "O" rings handy.

The shoot so soft with a 1 oz. 1150fps load. E3 powder is very clean and works well in my 1100's.

I stopper shooting my 870 this year as the 1100 is such a joy to shoot.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.