1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheelchair Friendly Trap Field layout, Help!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by VNVET, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VNVET

VNVET Member

Were adding another Trapfield to out club and want to make it wheelchair friendly. I checked Rangeinfo.org and all they have is the standard ATA layout. Does anyone know where I can find a drawing with the dimensions for the concrete? The standard ATA 16 yd is 4' wide, if the runways back to the 27 line were 4' wide, would that be enough. Ideally the whole field should be concrete, but that's out of our budget. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

FYI ... take a look and compare the price for the forming material, labor and such vs. just laying concrete for the entire field. You might find that it just aint really all that much more when you pinch the pennies and look at the actual numbers.

If you can do 4' wide for all the paths that is more than enough for a wheel chair. Current ADA codes in construction allows a door to be 34" for wheel chair access so and your going 48" which is more than enough for anyone in a chair.

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I don't think it's any more complicated than making the walk ways a foot to 18" wider???

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think Tenn has actually done a bunch of this and might -- and the state might even have given grants in the sporting clays arena

It would be worth contacting them- you can probably find them online

Gene

5. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Here you go vnvet everything you will want to know about regs. for ADA

3 feet seems to be standard but I have seen the 16 yrd line closer to 4 ft to get back and forth with the mic stands present.

good luck

Dennis

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PVA is very active in trapshooting. Our club hosts a national event each year. I would definitely go there first for information. If you need contact info, I can get it from our club officers.

Link above.

Try emailing reedw@pva.org, also.

HM

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've shot on field pads that were entirely concrete and there's one thing to avoid. If you cheap out on the cement formula, (bags of cement to yards of sand and gravel), you'll end up with a very bright, white surface. This will be very annoying to the mid and long yardage shooters and may require painting the pads every year. I've seen them painted a grass-like green to off set this dilemma. All-concrete avoids all the forming in set up but uses more in concrete ($$) and the bright color may have to be dealt with annually....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. VNVET

VNVET Member

Were adding another Trapfield to out club and want to make it wheelchair friendly. I checked Rangeinfo.org and all they have is the standard ATA layout. Does anyone know where I can find a drawing with the dimensions for the concrete? The standard ATA 16 yd is 4' wide, if the runways back to the 27 line were 4' wide, would that be enough. Ideally the whole field should be concrete, but that's out of our budget. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

FYI ... take a look and compare the price for the forming material, labor and such vs. just laying concrete for the entire field. You might find that it just aint really all that much more when you pinch the pennies and look at the actual numbers.

If you can do 4' wide for all the paths that is more than enough for a wheel chair. Current ADA codes in construction allows a door to be 34" for wheel chair access so and your going 48" which is more than enough for anyone in a chair.

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I don't think it's any more complicated than making the walk ways a foot to 18" wider???

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think Tenn has actually done a bunch of this and might -- and the state might even have given grants in the sporting clays arena

It would be worth contacting them- you can probably find them online

Gene

12. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Here you go vnvet everything you will want to know about regs. for ADA

3 feet seems to be standard but I have seen the 16 yrd line closer to 4 ft to get back and forth with the mic stands present.

good luck

Dennis

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PVA is very active in trapshooting. Our club hosts a national event each year. I would definitely go there first for information. If you need contact info, I can get it from our club officers.

Link above.

Try emailing reedw@pva.org, also.

HM

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've shot on field pads that were entirely concrete and there's one thing to avoid. If you cheap out on the cement formula, (bags of cement to yards of sand and gravel), you'll end up with a very bright, white surface. This will be very annoying to the mid and long yardage shooters and may require painting the pads every year. I've seen them painted a grass-like green to off set this dilemma. All-concrete avoids all the forming in set up but uses more in concrete ($$) and the bright color may have to be dealt with annually....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

Some pictures at the above website show arc walks between the yardage runways, and concrete walks that extend from the clubhouse to every shooting field.

See the "facilities" tab at tucsontrapandskeet.com

This allows you to not have full concrete, but allows chair shooters to access the shooting.

Doug Sims

16. VNVET

VNVET Member

Thanks to all who posted replies to my question and you've given good ideas and things to research. I'm definitly going to research the Grants.......something I had not thought of. Once we get a design in place and especially if we can get some kind of grant, I'll post back here with the results.

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

At least 48 inches. All chairs are not alike. As a wheelchair shooter, I have to shoot on the dirt aside of the handicap lanes as they are mostly in the 30-36 inch range for width. The ground is usually uneven and I am leaning in one direction or another which I do not want. Also, ATA considers that out of the 'box' handicap yardage and I would have to get a dispensation from the shoot management. Not enough of cement to allow my wheelchair to sit at an angle to the house as most shooters feet are situated.

As far as getting help, contact a real wheelchair shooter. He will know a whole lot more then the so called 'professionals'. Even PVA has limited knowledge of specific wheelchair needs.

As the saying goes...'until you walk in my shoes..'.

Bernie

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as another thought ...

If you decide to pour the entire field with concrete have the concrete either colored green like grass in the mixing stage or have a topping colorizing done it while it is being finished. That will solve your color and glare problems that others are concerned about.

19. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

This is a good example of the "better side" of the people on our site. With all of our usual sniping and pot shots we lose track of the fact that most Trapshooters are good people.

20. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Our State Game and Fish Department has been running the Ben Avery Gun Club and at this time are putting in several wheel chair asscssable traps. In fact they should be done with this project if not now very soon. I would emagin you could get the info from them. I looked to see if I still had there address but I can't find it. try Googlin it and see what you come up with . I have also misspllaced my Arizona shooting schedual. It had there E-mail add on it. Try the Google. Rich.(inPeoria, A.Z.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.