1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Haskins Bill, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wheelweights, please be aware that some auto manufacturers have switched totally and or partially to zinc wheelweights. This is to comform to European Union regs. Be sure and sort your scrap wheel weights and throw out or recycle the ones with zn on them. They will contaminate your lead ones and make them hard to cast. I don't know how much for shot but the lead will not pour well for bullets or sinkers!

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure I had some of them the last melting. The dealer asked if I wanted all types of weights. I said sure, so I took all he had.

He said there were about 5 different compounds they were having to buy now to meet Mfg's specs.

When I melted them, the lead ones melted easy, but some didn't melt at all, and some only became "limp" ( Being in my mid 50's, that has a new meaning)

I looked the properties of these metals up. It seems lead has a melting point of 621.5 F, zinc is 787.24 F, and aluminum is 1220.7 F

That could explain my experience.

Danny

3. snarepeg

snarepeg TS Member

Aready has on this side of the pond.

Have put all my wheel weights to one side, 70 percent zinc and trouble.

Melting pure roof lead/pipe/s etc and adding antinamony, no problems, snarepeg.

4. snarepeg

snarepeg TS Member

Aready has on this side of the pond.

Have put all my wheel weights to one side, 70 percent zinc and trouble.

Melting pure roof lead/pipe/s etc and adding antinamony, no problems, snarepeg.

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wheelweights, just wanted to get the word out there. Someone mentioned that the zinc ones will sissole slowly just like a throat lozenge does. That is enough will mix with the lead ones to cause trouble with your 'pour'. A few years ago at Jeep in Toledo they switched to all zinc so they would not have to sequence tires to the line with regards to domestic or export. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.