1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel Weights

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grunt, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most tire weights are Zinc alloy. Not many lead weights now.

2. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Is there an easy way to tell the zinc ones from the lead ones?

3. nudge

nudge Member

go to castboolits.gunloads.com and click on the stickies for the info on zinc wheel weights

4. Trap2sons

Trap2sons Member

Take a pair of side cutters and try to cut one. If it smashes or cuts it's lead if it doesn't its not. Or use a magnet
    Hope this helps

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

There are several 'types' of weights.

there is the classic lead weight - they are very dense and feel heavy in the hand - they are soft so you can bend large ones, or as was said, you can cut them easily. With a little practice yo can sort these easily and efficiently just by holding them.

There are zinc ones which resemble the lead ones, but tend to have a different clip - they don't bend easily so to fit the rim they need a different clip (these are sometimes called European weights). These 'feel' very light when held as compared to the lead ones.

There are steel ones too - these tend to be 'stick on' and are rather obvious.

There are lead stick on weights too (sometimes called truck weights) - be careful of these, they are often alloyed with zinc and even a few can really screw up a batch of lead - I reserve these for sinker casting...

You will know when you have zinc in your lead when the surface takes on a colored sheen - kind of a rainbow from blue through copper towards brown - rather than the 'silvery' color of plain lead.

6. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Just send them to me. i will sort the bad ones and send them back. LOL, Tim

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I think Harbor Freight has them right next to the Plywood Welding Rods.

8. 333t

333t Member

Many of the newer weights are made of iron or zinc. The iron weights will have an fe printed on them and the zinc have zn on them. The iron weights are easy to spot as they have squared off ends. Lead weights have curved ends. If you have the time, you can check for iron by using a magnet on the tip of the weight. The clips are all steel, so keep your magnet away from them. This info is general in nature and the some weights are too small to check with the magnet. The stick on weights come in lead, iron, and zinc. The zinc and iron ones won't melt and are easily discarded.

Phil

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Take a magnet and you will find the steal weights. As for the Zinc take a pair of GOOD WIRE cutters and try to cut a weight in half. Lead you will with ease and zinc you will not. I have pic's of zinc weights but I have to find it first. If I do I will post it.

10. Auctioneer

auctioneer_2009_0507246.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507247.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507248.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507249.jpg

Here are the pic's of zinc wheel weights. Look for the markings n the weights and do if you don't know the wire cutter test. Those two things will help you get the bad weights out.

11. Auctioneer

The ones that you see that I did cut through I had to work to do so. In the first pic's you will see on the corners where I tested the weight with the wire cutters. Not much of a mark but its there. Look for the ZN on the weights. That means zinc.

I went through a 55 gal drum sorting the weights. It took a good day to do so and yes I wore good leather gloves while doing so. Watch for razer blades and sharp things when sorting.

To help getting the weights out I used a steel bowl and a garden hand rack. Its about 10 to 12 inches long. You can pick one up at Lowe's Hardware. It has 4 prongs to it and its nice to just rack the weights in the bowl for sorting.

For the table so your back doesn't hurt I have it at my waist and I have a piece of card board on top of the table or bench if you have one. Sorting will be easier and cleaner for the table.

Take breaks often so not to over look the zinc when tired. That will happen. Have a buckets to put the ones you just sorted into while on the table or bench. The reason is IF or WHEN you do question if a weight of zinc went in with the lead you just have the bucket to go through again and not the barrel. Once you know your bucket is good then pour the bucket in to your barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.