1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel weights for making shot?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jmusic, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmusic

jmusic TS Member

I was considering shotmaking....I have a source on lots of used wheel weights.
    Was wondering if the hardness of the wheel weights will be correct in shotmaking or what the approximate percentage of antimony the wheel weights would most likely contain.

Jeff

2. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i am just getting into shotmaking and am trying to fabricate some sort of shot making machine and am still very much in the trial and error process i am getting every shape but round, lol its just fun to tinker around with it. wheel weights vary in antimony content but i would say on average they have about 3-4% so its just fine for trap shooting.

3. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Magnum shot contains 6% antimony. Wheel weights have a little more than mag shot. They can make excellent shot.

Pat Ireland

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pat, I don't know for sure what the antimony content is of wheel weights. It might vary from one maker to another, but Lyman bullet co. claims wheelweights are 95.5% lead, 0.5% tin, and 4% antimony. I can tell you that when I melt a 100 lb. batch of them and cast bullets they come out at around 8 BHN. after sitting around for several months they will age harden to around 17 BHN.

George

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

How the hell are you going to use a steel weight on an aluminum rim? paint the weights and use two-way tape? i call b.s. on that rumor.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Blizz old boy, I can tell you for sure that there are a lot of non-lead weights out there already. Most are from new imports. Most of europe has gone to non-lead weights. It will happen here also, It's just a matter of time.

Jim

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Blizzard, apparently you have not melted any wheel weights lately or you would already know that there are a lot of wheel weights that are not lead. I melted about two hundred pounds yesterday and there were a fair number that would not melt. I don't know what they were made of only that they would not melt. As for as it being a rumour, I believe you can find it online if you care to look. I also believe that they started with it last year in California. Jackie B.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If I were able to buy a large supply of truck wheel weights, which I read here previously, doesn't contain much if any antimony where would you go to buy it? Prices? What about arsnic(sp)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.