1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

===WHEEL WEIGHT questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gmangh15, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

I have a bunch of wheel weights I already sorted out. I have sticky wheel weights and clip on wheel weights. I want to smelt them down to ingots. Would it be better to keep them separate since the stick on wheel weights are almost pure lead or what. What do y'all do? I'm going to buy a shotmaker and am wandering what is the best way to go about this. Can I just mix the stick on with the clip on when I smelt it?

Thanks

Garrett

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Keep them separate.

Well smelting the wheel weights has become a question. I have melted some stick ons in past with ok results mixed with regular lead. Its come down to a science and lots of trials and errors. Roof lead seems to make decent shot good density mass. Lead pipe works nice. Remember your going to shoot it dont over analize it. Make a lil see if it breaks targets make more either the same way or change it up a lil bit depending on your results.

Reading what we put here isnt like actually being there watching someone actually do or haveing it explained. Your entering a REDNECK science and your going to get your degree if you hang with it.

We all have our own opinions on whats going to work and make good shot.

Best advice is have A LOT OF LEAD before you buy the machine. GET A GOOD LEAD FILTERING RESPIRATOR! Wear glasses and gloves.

Good Luck

Jerry Lewis

3. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

So from what I've seen and read its lookin like bout 1 lb of stickys and 10 lbs of clip ons to make decent shot.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I trash the stickies. I think the adhesive plugs up my drippers. I separate the stickies out and use them for casting bullets. I've even traded the stickies for wheel weights to the casters. And sold them on E-Bay, as well.

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

With the WW available now, be very careful to control the melting temperature.

Also, check the newer WW with a magnet(not on the clip, but on the ends) to see if they are magnetic. If so, discard, or re-sell to scrap dealer.

Even those non-magnetic ones, may contain zinc or other metals that melt at a higher temp than lead, so keep the melting temp as low as possible, and watch it all the time to get the best lead to start making shot with.

Some will say 1 1/5 to 2 lb ingots are the best, but make ingots small enough to melt in the ladle quickly to keep the ladle temp up, but again, don't let this temp get out of range.

Try to keep some pure lead ingots available to add to the ladle if it starts getting plugged and running slow. Sometimes just a tap with a leather mallet will start it running faster, again.

Experiment with it, but, like I have said, always watch it carefully all the time.

Stay with it and watch it all the time.

6. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

So keep the stickys(pure lead) separate from wheel weights and add 1 lb of pure lead for every 10 lb of clip on wheel weights????? I just hit the jackpot and picked up about 200 lbs of lead clip on wheel weights. They were dirty and a bit rough looking and it's gonna suck to smelt em but hey I'll take em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.