1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Wheel Weight Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ouch, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

On more than one thread about shot making I have read not to use truck wheel weights. Having access to truck wheel weights I am wondering if they do not work or ? Thanks, Richard

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

they are mostly zinc and not lead. their size is obvious compared to regular sized wheel weights,dont use the strip type either.

bill

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I've used gobs of truck wheel weights, melted just like lead, made good shot too.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does zinc melt? If so is it similar to lead?

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Zinc will melt just like lead if you get it hot enough which you do not want to do. A tiny bit of zinc will ruin a whole lot of lead. It destroys its flow characterisitcs and it won't make shot worth a sh*t. Zinc weights will float to the top of a pot of wheelweight lead with the clips at first. Skim them off with the slag, flux and you are good to go. I use a casting thermometer to make sure I never get my lead over 700 degrees when melting. That way you can't accidentally melt a zinc weight.

Jeff

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Zinc weights have the letters ZN on them. Yes will mess up your pours be it sinkers, bullets or shot. Look for them in near future as lead based wheel weights are on their way out do to new regulations. Bill

7. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

The problem with large truck wheel weights is that they contain Babbit -- and Babbit (from personnel experience)causes the lead to want to stick to the drippers -- in other words it will not flow through the holes -- then you will have to remove the drippers and clean them out same as a plugged hole -- take my word for it avoid large truck weights -- it you don't believe me call Jim Stewart the guy that builds the Shotmakers -- 256 587-0107

8. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

320090T:
    What size shot were you making when you melted all those truck wheel weights? How many times did you have to clean out the drippers so the molten lead would flow through them? Did you redrill your dripper holes?
    Mr. Stewart will tell anyone that is making #9 shot with his shotmaker not to use truck wheel weights at all. Give him a call at 256-587-0107.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.