1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel Weight price ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ccampbell, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccampbell

ccampbell Member

Can anyone give me an idea of the going price for used lead wheel weights per pound?

Thanks,CCampbell

2. plinker611

plinker611 Member

scrapyards in my area are giving .15/lb for mix'd weights,.30/lb for sheet/ingots,and they wont sell any,as far as you selling i wont go over .35 cents per lb when i buy them,not too shure what the going rate in your area is ,mark

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Just a note of warning here.

As the cost for WW's is going up the percent of lead in that bucket is going down...

There is a push to stop the use of lead in WW's and it is starting to show in what is being collected at tire shops. I can remember when you'd get just a handful of alloy weights in a bucket of WW - the rest would be lead (or truck weights), now it is running close to 25% of the bucket. Expect this number to only go up.

4. bpratl

bpratl TS Member

I own an Automobile repair shop and we do a lot of tires; and as I am also a pistol shooter, and do my own casting, I grab the bucket when it half full.
    Each time I sort it out I find about 10% less lead and more iron/zinc weights.
    It is just a matter of time before there will be no more lead wheel weights.

5. plinker611

plinker611 Member

ive been working for a large automotive group,and have had access to all the w.w. from 8 tire changers for the last 16 yrs,it all started 5-6 yrs ago when imports quit the use of lead w.w.,3 yrs ago the domestec quit useing lead,and now some states(il,and ca.)have banned them ,the independent tire shops,dealer ships,and repair shops are still putting on lead,the main reason's are, cost,the tree hugger weights cost twice as mutch,you have to use a larger weight to get the same weight,and some say they dont stay on as well. ive seen a 30%-40% drop in good weights in the buckets since ive been doing this.mark

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The local yard I went to on Tuesday had these prices:

Soft lead $0.10/lb

Wheel weights $0.03/lb

Was afraid to ask them what they sold it for.

Heck, I was junking iron and got $0.10/lb.

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Yes the wheel weights are beggining to suck! I had the last batch the a guy brought me for a shot split clogg my drippers. I hadnt had to sort them before ,and dont plan on it for others but I also have thought about not doing split jobs anymore...

Local scrap yards are rapeing all who bring it in,as they really dont care they dont really need our scrap as Joe Blow will sell them his. The local yard used to sell when it was locally owned, they were bought out and wont sell anything anymore.

Its comeing to an end put ads in local papers craiglist what ever, I did and it poped out my eyes.

Good luck!

Jerry Lewis

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Since nobody mentioned it...

"As of April 1, 2011, it is illegal to sell or install a wheel weight in New York that contains lead. The state joined several others that have enacted laws banning the manufacture, sale and use of lead weights. California’s law went into effect on January 1, 2010. Illinois, Maine, Minnesota, Vermont and Washington also ban the product, and several other states have considered a ban.

The automakers have already agreed to stop using lead weights as original equipment, and the three major manufacturers of wheel weights in the United States stopped distributing lead weights in 2009."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.