1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your wad of choice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doughboy, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

I have 100% faith in "the real windjammer" from all yardages but am curious what you your thoughts are when you move back to the 24+ yard line. Do you feel the shot string "spreads" to much to use that wad when you move back to be competitive?

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Kurt..... The Windjammer will work all the way to the back fence and beyond. Wads, in my opinion, have the least effect on patterns, at any yardage. You can order special "spreader" wads, etc., but, a standard trap wad does pretty much the same job, regardless of the brand. Some will have more plastic build up than others (in my experience, Claybusters are the worst culprit), but they all will do the job. That being said, I prefer Windjammers for handicap and Downrange XL1 1oz. for singles and doubles...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

I agree with Trap2, both the Windjammer and the XL1. I use the Windjammer in Hcp. and also in a lot of game shooting. If I was to go to a one ounce handicap shell, I think I would use the Downrange Jammer XL. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The best one I've ever used (patterned) is the Rem. RXP, the old Alcan flightmax was very good also but haven't seen any of them for 30+ years, all others seem pretty much the same. Only ones I ever had problems with were D.R. pink XXL very inconsistent in sound and recoil lots of plastic build up, plastic came out of the bbl in strings, gave them to a buddy to try to see if I was doing something wrong he loaded 100 or so and had the same problems so he threw them away. Now using OEMs or C.B.s with no problems. Ross Puls

5. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Windjammers or Rem Fig 8

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use the Blue Down Range 1 1/8, Winchester white AAs and Federal 12C-1s

Ed Yanchok

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Windjammer/Tournament Wad for me at all distances. Ray

8. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I'm with Ross, to me the RXP tops the list I don't know why but that wad and 21 gr of Green Dot and 1 1/8 of hard 7 1/2s is my Cap load of choice, same load but 19 gr from the 16, the fig 8 is almost as good, but I prefer the RXP

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well I can't comment on the 24+ yard thing but my favorite wad is the Remington Fig 8 or the various copies of it. I use to be a big Remington RXP-12 fan until I started using the Fig 8. Through my gun in my reloads, I seem to get better more consistent patterns with the Fig 8 over the RXP.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Green and Blue Dusters. Nuff said.

Wayne

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am w/TRAP2 I use the Windjammer originals and Claybuster clone. even in my 1 1/8th oz #6 Longshot Shootoff loads,it lowers the pressures even though Longshot Loads are not high pressure loads.

I keep all my loads near 9,000-10,000psi for good clean burn.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Downrange Red Versalite seems to work well in my handicap load. The Downrange Blue XL seems to be a good wad too.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

AA Clones... like WayneO, Blue and Green Dusters for 12 gauge...

Jay

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have worked up a Caps load with three tablespoons of Unique and the Windjammer. Works well, low pressures, mild recoil, absolutely BOILS the target to the back fence.

I also load 24 gram and one ounce loads with a multitude of hulls, so use the pink CB, 12SO clone, White and Red Eight CB wads.

I don't have the fouling a lot of folks experience. I shoot Brownings, and they simply do not have rough bores.

I use a tired gooney-stone barrel hone to smooth out chokes.

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

Stay with the Windjammer all the way out to insane game yardages.

16. TD1958

TD1958 Member

In all my patterning experience the windjammer patterns better then the typical 4 pedal wads simply because the 4 pedal wad will not open as quickly and tends to push thru the pattern where as the windjammer open up almost immdediatly and not disrupting the pattern. Just my experience. Tim

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I spent extra for the Spolar Gold, but when Kevin came out with his new Fig8/Windjammer, I switched. It's a very nice product that loads well and gives constistant results. For 1oz, DownRange's Jammer XL is my favorite.

best...mike

18. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

When I shot more I was using blue dusters. Now I use whatever they put in Rios, Gun Clubs or Federal cheapos.

Joe

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The only wad you need is one that fills up the case and seals the burn. If you think one is better than another, spend some time at a pattern board. I don't mean walk up and look at the pattern. Shoot 10 to 15 rounds of each wad and count the pellets. I did. There is no statistical data difference between any of them. Not the ones that are 8 petals, 4 petals to the ones that are not split. If you think there is, then shoot that wad because you have confidence in it.

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.