1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your position on "sold gun" return policy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Aug 15, 2013.

1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Do you allow an "inspection" period of a day or two if you sell a gun? That is... after you have received payment, you go through the process of driving to an FFL dealer, pay their fee and the shipping and insurance, have it shipped to another FFL, paperwork transferred, then as many as three to ten days later depending on how far it went the person says it's not what I wanted or it doesn't fit. Would you allow a return? Thanks, Dale

2. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Take many photos prior to shipping, and include the shipping packaging. I would make it clear up front that all handling and shipping charges would not be refunded and are the responsibility of the buyer. Also buyer's remorse is not a condition for return; the item must significantly differ from the description. When returned the item should be inspected for any damage before making a refund.
    Jack

3. romie

romie Active Member

First what did you loose.$$ take that out and move on. Treat them as you want to be treated. or just take his money like jack would do.
    Monty

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

If you expect to try a gun out, expect to pay for the gun and shipping both ways. Then wait to get your payment returned until the gun is inspected. A three day inspection period is generally standard. If you don't like the gun, your still going to pay the shipping charges.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

I do allow an inspection period. For pistols, that is, unfortunately, a visual and function inspection at the buyer's FFL. There is no way around that, because the pistol isn't mine anymore after I give it to my FFL (at least that is how it works in PA). For shotguns or barrels, I give a three day, FIRING, inspection. I insist on that when I purchase a shotgun or barrel set, so I extend the same courtesy to my buyers.

I don't sell problem equipment. I under-promise and over deliver, so I have no worries. I send lots of pictures and a detailed description. Even then, if, within the inspection period, the buyer decided he/she did not want the item, I would take it back. Buyer would pay shipping and insurance back, and reimburse me for my shipping charges and any FFL fees.

6. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

Whats your position on

Good advice ZZT.

Roger

7. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Whats your position on

Dale --call me 781-910-0313. Dennis.

8. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

Thanks Dennis, nice talking with you. Dale

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

I am not sure I can sell skill or ability to break targets. If the gun is as advertised, then the buyer keeps it! At the very least, if I have a weak moment, he will pay for all expenses I incurred shipping it to him! Tom Rhoads

10. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

As a seller: Describe the gun as honestly as possible and point out all defects. Take clear pictures showing any glaring defects and show every square inch of the gun. Leave nothing for the imagination of the buyer. Also, remember you own the gun and price it where you are comfortable. Somewhere between one dollar and the price of a new one is the true value. It's yours, and price it as you please. If someone doesn't like the price they don't have to buy it or you can negotiate to form a deal.

As a buyer: Ask all the questions you have and ask for additional pictures if needed. Confirm the key features like barrel length, chokes, bore diameters and types of trigger (Pull or Release) and any modifications from original. Ask about cracks in the wood, repairs, lever position when closed, etc. Then don't expect more than what was described and shown in pictures. I have found that most guns look slightly better in photos than in hand. Talk to the other party on the phone and get a feel for who you are dealing with. If there is a problem call them again and work it out, before flaming them on here. Ask and agree on a return possibility if there is a problem. Blanket assumptions are not going to lead to happy people.

The buyers who say "I'll take it" withing minutes of posting, have bought it with nothing more than the original info. Only gross misrepresentations should ever be addressed after these. I have found out twice that these fast shoppers don't always come through. I have had to list the items again and have had guys answer my request for payment 2 weeks later. Only then, when I say I never received payment do they say I have changed my mind. This isn't fair to a seller either so if your not sure don't pounce on a deal only to back out later.

I hope this helps, Duane

11. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

Duane, I agree with you but you said ask and agree to a return policy if there is a problem. What would be a legit problem that would obligate the seller to take it back? Thanks, Dale

12. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

Whats your position on

That is for you and the seller to come to an understanding before it is shipped. You say it is in perfect condition so if there are flaws that I don't like then it is coming back or you say it is complete or works perfectly....you get the picture. I think a lot is how it is described and "relied upon" as far as condition when you are looking and talking with him about it. I have always been one to say...if it is not what you want then send it right back and I will refund the money as long as it is the same condition as I sent out but they have to eat the cost of the shipping.

13. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

Dale, The only thing I would say is, if it was misrepresented or there was a defect that was hidden by the seller. Say, the barrel was bulged, rib was separated, stock was cracked, or it had a very pitted bore that wasn't mentioned or disclosed. I also think if your selling a shotgun online, so to speak, you should know the bore dimensions and degree of choke. It's hard to ever know what you really have until you have it in your hands. Just because it has a stamp or marking that says Full doesn't mean it still is. I bought a couple of Brownings and a Perazzi on this site and I was very happy at the end of each transaction. As fellow trap-shooters we should treat each other fairly on here and I think, for the most part, we do. I would rather buy here than on Gunbroker. Duane

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Whats your position on

Honesty and Integrity on both sides of the sale should eliminate any and all problems ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

I have sold several guns on this forum. Before the deal is a deal, I make it perfectly clear to the buyer that he can return the item within three days for a refund. If I failed to accurately describe the gun, I will pay shipping both ways. If the buyer wishes to return it for any other reason, he will pay the shipping both ways. I think this process keeps everyone honest and have never had a problem with any buyer. I did have one stock come back because there was a small crack in it. I did not see it so did not mention it. Buyer sent it back and I gladly refunded the purchase price plus shipping both ways. It was my error and cost the buyer nothing and that is the way it should be.

Bob

16. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

Duane, I am in complete agreement with you. I just don't think a buyer should be able to return a gun because it didn't fit or his wife got mad that he spent the money. I just don't have the time to drive back and forth to an FFL to ship a gun to several prospective buyers so they can play with it for three days then send it back because they couldn't shoot it well. Like tcr1146 said above he can't sell skill. Very well said. Thanks for your opinions guys. Dale

17. hejumper

hejumper Member

Whats your position on

I have purchased several guns on this website this year. I have also sold/traded mine. I would be happy to pay a "trial" fee of $100+ and all shipping, insurance and FFL fees if it was in the condition as advertised, but it just didn't fit my style. I've tried used guns at the range that look like they can smoke them all that I can't shoot near as well as guns a third their price. That is not to say the more expensive guns don't shoot as well as less expensive (eg BT's ) guns, but I couldn't shoot them well.

I will say that so far I have had NO problems with any transactions on this forum. In addition, the mentoring I have received from those I've purchased from has been invaluable.

Larry

18. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

Whats your position on

I agree fit or ability to shoot should not be a return.

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Whats your position on

I have purchased through a couple of gentleman here and requested/received an inspection period. I think it is unrealistic to NOT offer/request one. Purchasing sight unseen (even with pics) is like buying through catalogue...

Even NIB, LNIB should allow for returns. Have a policy on shipping charges and return condition. I bought as non-firing inspections, with the assurance the firearms operated. I agree to pay return shipping if its my choice, but I would expect the seller to pony up if there is a material misrepresentation.

Typically the seller is charging -ME- S&H in addition to the item...

You don't have to be Nordstrom or Orvis, to be a seller; but we've seen the stories posted here by some... Caveat Emptor...

Respectfully offered,

Jay

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Whats your position on

I have never offered a return policy. I describe my guns well and have never had a problem.