1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT'S YOUR POLICY ON NON-MEMBERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loophole, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

WHAT

How does your club handle non-members who patronize the premises. Our club has a policy that perevents nons from shooting. We have nothing about "hanging around." As an IRS classified club, wouldn't we be in danger of losing our classification if we were to be open to non members? Let me know how you handle this situation at your club.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We let them shoot on their first visit for member price. next time they come and do not join the rates go up. They can still shoot. We have a lot of free food off and on and we charge non members to eat also after the first visit. We gained 50 members last year and I think this policy was a good part of why. Our member fees will be $25 this year and shoots are $4.00 members and $5.00 non. Lou M, Pres Melba GC

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

My first question is are you refering to people who just show up out of the blue, express no interest in joining and just want to shoot OR non-members that are brought out as guests by a member. The clubs I belong to are not open to the public but are open to members with guests with limits on the number of guests and number of guest visits. If someone shows up and says "I have been looking for a club and I saw your sign and heard the shooting" one of us will probably take them in hand as a "guest" let them shoot a round and show them around the club. When they leave we will probably give them contact info about joining.

--- Chip King ---

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

For Trap we charge non members an additional $1.00 to shoot. On

Wednesday night and Saturday morning our gate is open to the public.

Card key entry all other times. Rifle and pistol they have to be

with a member unless we hold a sanctioned match.

Because it's a "public service" I doubt you would be in danger of

losing your classification. IRS has a 1-800 number. Just call and ask,

they are normally very helpful.

Mike Cunningham ATA Life Vet

Mother Lode Gun Club Jamestown, CA

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One club we have a Member and a Non-Member price. Another club charges "Member" price, but the peron MUST be a guest of a Member. There is a three time limit to being a guest for any shooting event. After that, they must become a member.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Non-members are treated as guests and allowed to shoot for the same price as members, if they come back next week they'll be encouraged to join ($25).

Whad'ya mean by "hanging around"? If you're talkin' GROUPIES.........if they're good lookin' we won't throw 'em out.

7. maka

maka Member

Shoot at 3 different clubs in NE. WI. Sheboygan, Manitowoc, & Geen Bay. Each are open to public and charge $1.00 to $1.50 for non members to shoot. No pressure to join at anyone. Most are glad to have the buisness.

8. maka

maka Member

Note: the 3 clubs I mentioned in above post chare those fees in addition to regular shooting fee for a round.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You can be punitive or friendly!

I prefer the friendly clubs but...

Some clubs let you shoot at member rates, but limit the number of visits. You may also be required to be a guest of a member.

I've been charged as much as $4 a round more per 25 as a non-member. Sporting clays clubs are all over the place on non-member rates. I was at a lost for words at the end of the day after shooting skeet on a first visit to a club in Florida. When I told him we had shot 8 rounds (two shooters) I thought they misunderstood and were charging me for 16 rounds. I had not checked the non-member rate before going out. I don't make that mistake anymore...

Also, been charged a $10 - $15 per day fee to shoot at private clubs. Those clubs usually have limited membership and you must be a guest of a member. Usually limited on how many times you can visit per year.

Saying all of that, if you are truly an IRS tax exempt club you really need to check with your accountant, as you can easily blow your tax exemption once you hit certain income levels from non-members, especially if you run a bar and/or kitchen. As I understand it, you can't give out temporary (one day) memberships to get around it.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

We do it a little different. We charge members, half members and non members the same price. The first time a shooter shows up, he is a non member. When someone shows up several times he is a half member. When he shows up frequently, scores a few times and loads the trap now and then, he is a member.
    We don't have a membership list, we have no dues, but we know who works to keep the club going.

Pat Ireland

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Non members pay more but their first visit is at member price. Membership $45.

12. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

tschoenke,
    What do you mean by an IRS classified club.
    Robert

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Sedalia, MO, trap or skeet $3.50 mem. $4.00 non. Rifle, pistol and swimming pool are restricted to members and their guests. Memshp. $40.00 per yr.

Buz

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It all depends at my club. If it's a female and decent looking, she can practically shoot for free if she's the flirty type (depending on size of Ta-ta's) she could more than likely drink alcohol for free as well and can come to the club as many times as she wants, especially if she brings friends. If you're just some slob off the street, I don't think you'll have time to even open your gun case before you're told to get the Hell out of here and not to come back.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most clubs I'm aware of have at some time received money grants from someplace, if I'm not mistaken one of the stipulations with these grants for range improvements is that the range must be open to the public.

John C. Saubak

16. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I am not sure of your IRS status. If you are a 501.c7 tax exempt club then you are allowed to have non-members as guests of members but your are not allowed to be "open to the public" . As a 501.c7 club you are only allowed a small percentage of your income to come from non-members. Check the tax code and look for the 15%/25% rule. You are also taxed on income from non-members (guests) unless the member pays for the guest, and if they do you have to keep records that they did.

You need to know how you are charted with the IRS.

You are also allowed up to $1000 income from interest. Anything over that is taxable.

Our club was audited several years ago and you do not want to go through that. It was painful but the IRS agent was helpful and helped us get into compliance.
    Feel free to email me for more info.
    Bob

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

Club I shoot at charges same for all.Only difference is members can attend monthly meeting and vote on items that need voted on.

Doug H.

18. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

All the clubs within 30 miles of me let all people shoot for the same price. Dosen't cost any more for non-members targets and they get members of other clubs and people vacationing in the area to dhoot and not get charged more to stop in and shoot.

19. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Each membership at our club receives two guest passes to use as they choose. The pass allows the guest to participate in any venue at the club as if they were a member.

We do have employees working at the club. Volunteerism is slim to none. So we need to charge accordingly. Our hours during the summer season is Wed thru Sun noon to dark. This coming summer we will be open 7 days a week during July and Aug.

Our rates are...$6-member, $45-prepaid 10rd card, $7-non-member. Membership is $40. A membership key for the gates is $20-nonrefundable. The key purchaser(member only) can use the rifle, handgun, and archery ranges during closed hours. Last year, only 20 rds of trap were shot at the $6 member rate, everyone else bought the cards.

Our kids summer league is fully sponsored by the club. Last year we had 15 kids shooting a 10 week league. The club paid for targets AND ammo.

A new key must be purchased every year. At the beginning of each new year, all of the locks are changed. We had a problem in the past where members were making copies and passing them out to their buddies from out of town. One day a few years back, our club manager stopped at the range during a closed day and there were 13 people using the rifle range...none of them were members.

Our new Range Rules now state that nonmembers on club property during closed hours will be charged for trespassing, and a member furnishing a key will be booted from the club.

Also, everyone entering the clubs grounds must sign a form stating that they are responsible for all of their actions.

Our club is a 501-c(3). All of the retail income the club makes has the sales tax included in the price and it's paid quarterly. The club also donates a couple thousand dollars to the local charities each year. We also provide to the Sheriff's Dept, the neighboring Police Academy, and the MN DNR, the use of the ranges at no charge.

Doug

nssclub.org

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

At my club, we charge everyone the same $4.00, member or not. I don't know what skeet charges, I don't shoot it.
    Our club is 169 acres, from the top of the mountain down to the ocean. Use of the rifle, skeet, trap, handgun,black powder trail walks, archery ranges, and trout pond are free with membership, Monday through Sunday, 0900 - dusk. Camping in our campground is also free with membership. Guest day passes are $20/day for use of all open facilities. The $20 fee covers our resident caretaker and liability insurance for the guest.
    Our memberships are up this year. I paid $150 for a family membership, which includes use of facilities, newsletter, $2,000,000.00 excess liability insurance per person, membership in our provincial wildlife federation and the bimonthly magazines from them. The membership fees cover our property taxes and fixed costs, so we have to volunteer or raise money for other projects, like putting power into the archery and handgun ranges.
    Another club I shoot at charges $4.00 for members and guests, but guests pay $3.00/day for liability insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.