1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your mental picture for 2nd shot in Dbls ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hi, I only have 8-10 rounds of Dbles under my belt .. and am hoping to improve this summer. I have singles dialed in pretty good ... and my move to the 1st shot in Dbls isnt bad - but - I just cant develop any confidence in my move to the 2nd bird. Trouble is - either my move is slow .. or the trap at my club throws weak birds ... but the 2nd bird always seems to be at peak ... or just starting its decent by the time I get there. I never know how far "under" to shoot at the bird. Also, if my gun is moving over from the first shot in a somewhat level plane (for sake of arguement) - do I keep swinging level if the 2nd bird is dropping. Or, should my gun also be dropping to track the bird ? My mental computer for the second shot - is a little cross-wired at the moment. Would enjoy hearing what works for you, Brian

ps ... I should mention, I am RH and shoot the "straighter" of the 2 birds first.

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

Brian, congrats on your quest in doubles, the secret to great doubles is shoot the first target quickly, THEN THE SECRET IS WHILE YOUR CHEEK IS FIRMLY ON THE STOCK, MOVES YOUR EYES AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO THE SECOND TARGET,the gun follows a split second later when done this way, the second target seems to be "hanging" there is slow motion incinerate em!

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bigben is right, shoot the first bird quickly. To be very fast shoot the first bird without moving your gun. It's called trapping or spot shooting the first bird. Hold a level gun on the flight path of the first bird and pull the trigger when you see the bird come out of the house. That's right, you pull the trigger while the bird is still under your barrel. This allows you to make your move on the second bird while it is still rising. It makes doubles shooting alot easier to master. HMB

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Good advise. Don't think about it, just shoot it!
    Break em all

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sarge, I know (4) AA doubles shooters that shoot 90/10 or 100% POI, both barrels. Don't assume your way is the only way. Same with chokes.

Sarge must have re-thought his post and deleted it.

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

My mental picture is that of a target flying away completely untouched...

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Doubles target are never consistent and a lot of factors enter in,wind,what kind of trap they are thrown off of,how they are set to start with,Don't think about whether the target is rising or falling just try shooting the leading edge and your gun will move in the same direction as the target,you have to shoot them where they are at not where they are suppose to be.My experience is you will be behind the second target more often than you are above or below them so follow thru is also important.Jerry

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bigben has good advice, certainly you want to take that second target when it is high in the sky. (not desending). But don't think you have to rush and be sloppy to get this done. You can make the most of your time available to shoot the pair by not wasting it on unnecessary movements such as stopping and starting the gun between shots. This isn't something you will perfect in a few rounds so be patient and continue to practice. Smooth and repeatable is what you are after. With accuracy comes speed but the opposite is not true. Don't rush things, just don't waste any movements.

Now we all tend to learn the best by actually doing something with just a little guidance as we go. A good (professional) instructor is one of the better investments you can make in this game. If you get a chance to take a clinic - do that as soon as you can. In the mean time pick up a DVD by one of the pros and watch it a few times. I like Phil Kiner's coaching style and can recommend his training materials.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Learn to shoot the first target as fast as you can with consistency, then the second target is a much easier quest than if it's falling far away...

10. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I am beginning to think the doubles machine at my club .... throws some lazy targets. I mean ... I do shoot the first target quick. Not trapping quick (tried it - didnt work for me) but .. I hold the gun pretty level just off the line of flight of the bird. As I see the bird come flying by ... just a little, quick "bump up" with the gun into the correct target picture and BOOM ... and I am quickly looking for the 2nd bird. But no matter how quick, it seems that 2nd bird is already level or just starting down. I should go to other club shoots and see if they throw doubles targets any differently. Anyhow - thanks again. Brian

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Brian;

I am in agreement with hmb, you have to break the first shot extremely fast, so you can shoot the second clay before it levels or starts to descend.

The first shot in doubles is actually a "trick shot"...handled differently than any other trapshooting target.

You have to develop the timing and confidence to "shoot at the flash", and not wait for the usual bird/bead relationship on the first shot.

I know doubles shooters who take the second bird when it levels or is on it's descent, but I don't know any good doubles shooters who shoot that way.

And yes, learning doubles takes a lot of practice.

bluedsteel

12. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

just shoot the targets when you see them speed will come with time and practice, don't worry about how far under, just keep your head down and look at the target, trying to trap the 1st target will work at times but not allways, looking at the target only allways works.

13. Steinkruger

Steinkruger TS Member

a guy at my home club told me that he is the best at reading the trap while shooting doubles.... oh crap he also told me not to tell anyone his secret!! oh well

14. ljutic73

There is no excuse for missing a first target...keep that in mind when developing your timing on that target...get the first one figured out and your average will go up...

15. leadvail

leadvail Member

Well, that explains 48- 50 of what I get. Bob

16. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

You don't want my advice...This is what it looks like when I see my doubles score. GaryL.
    slugbug1_2008_0303100.jpg

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The first shot in doubles is no trick shot and you don't need to shoot at a flash or set an elaborate trap. Just sart your gun on the edge of the house just below where you know the bird is going to come out. Call for the target and follow it up when you see it. (not before) Take the shot when you have good target resolution and then move on to the next target without stopping the gun. Look at the second target, not your gun barrel while you are transitioning, this will keep you from wasting time and overswinging/stopping the the gun. Shoot the second target when you get there, don't make panic moves as they just waste time.

There is plenty of time to do this and still catch that second target before it starts dropping. Guys that shoot really good doubles scores don't necessarily have cat like reflexes and they don't fire like they have a full auto. They are smooth, deliberate and consistent.

Practice is required but more importantly, good practice not tricks will make you smooth and consistent.

18. ljutic73

When I took Britt Robinson's clinic he'd have you shooting first targets until you got consistent and increased your speed to that target...only then would you shoot at a pair...

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Now for the moment of truth. Please post your ATA doubles average. My current ATA Doubles Average is 96. What is yours? HMB

20. Shawn

Shawn Member

Wolfram laid it out pretty well. You will need to fine tune your hold point with practice you will figure out what works best for you.

Good luck.

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mental picture shooting rifle