1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your 'Magic Arrow'?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I've had many 'Magic Arrows' over the years. There have been multiple BT-99's, souped-up Rem 1100's and a Browning Broadway. Even my Mossberg duck gun has been magic sometimes. Right now its a Winchester Model 37 on which I put a magic rib.

I guess the 'magic' is really manifested by how well I can stay focused on the clays, one at a time.

Cheers,

LA in MA

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I've got 2 that fit that category a Rem 31TC & an old Lefever SBT, both just were "me" when I shouldered them. Started out with an 870 then a couple M12s (which I couldn't get used to but they were "THE" gun when I started trap shooting) had O&Us--semi-autos--SBTs--SxSs--etc. Have been very fortunate to have been able to own many different smoke poles in my lifetime but these 2 are the ones I kept, sold--traded the rest. Usually shoot the 31 as I prefer the pump, to me SBTs area bit unhandy. Don't shoot much anymore either since my wifes bout with cancer & being 71 years old on SS doesn't leave too many discretionary funds. Will pass them on to the boys someday. Lets enjoy them while we can!!!!! Ross Puls

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

There is NO magic arrow...like we said in the military, it's not the gun...it's the gunner.

Most important is gun fit, the shotgun MUST fit you.A $10,000 and up gun is not always the answer either.You can not buy scores, but you can look good missing.

Always remember, get some good instruction and proper gun fit.

The top shooters of today will shoot any brand of trap gun very well, and you can bet it's fitted to them.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Here's mine. About the sixth Ljutic I've owned. The only one that is a keeper. It is a Pro 3 LTX. Lighter than a Mono Gun, especially up front. Shoots about 90% high. Took a few months to adapt to the POI for Singles but was dead on from the 27. Beautiful gun that makes me feel good just carrying it. Looks good even when I miss, although with it I miss less often. I have tried numerous Brownings, Perazzi (shot them for years), K guns, and others. If I were tempted to try another gun (which I am not) it would be a Seitz. Marc

luvtrapguns_2009_190649.jpg

luvtrapguns_2009_190650.jpg

5. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Prepare yourself for a common theme:

For me it's a 1980 manufactured BT-99 2 barrel set I bought at an auction. Fixed chokes and all. Don't shoot it much anymore (only want to shoot one gun and it's not much good for doubles) but I don't think I'll ever sell it. Someday I hope to teach my kids to shoot with it. It's not pretty, it's not fancy, but it'll shoot.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Ljutic 73 and my Browning Superposed ST-100...I've been shooting them for 29 and 32 years respectively. No reason to upgrade....if that's possible given what I have.

Ron Burr
    ljutic73_2008_030350.jpg

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Gold Tip XT 5575's

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not sure theres any magic in it but my BT99Pluses all fit like gloves and are as reliable as night and day

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My Mod 12 smokes clays and is just so much fun to shoot, the there's my 1100 T owned is since 72 it never fails to break targets, or take game. O wened an SKB 5700 Trap gun o/u that broke all the targets that I could want however it kicked like a mule.

10. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I am sure you know i am going to say my 90T and that is my ARROW. Now i must admit i sold My Silver Seitz # 194 (2) barrel set and have kicked myself for doing so. That Gun Was GREAT 1191X1200 Singles!!!! Joe joe90t

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

"WANT"

If you do not walk up to the trapline and absolutely "want" every target it will be tough to excel.

GS

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Visualization. Cheap practice, grind every one!

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

When I attended my first ATA shoot maybe 30 years ago, I brought my Model 12 three pin. I ran the first three traps, missed four at the last. I figured the gun was only good for 75 birds and have looked for 75 bird shoots ever since, but not found one. I have not shot an ATA shoot since. My lifetime 16 yard average is .9600, not too good. By the way, I sold the wonderful old three pin several years ago. I am looking forward to shooting ATA birds in the future.

14. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I have 2, both are brownings. BT 99 Grade III and a Browning XT Trap, I shoot them equally well, mid to upper 90s 99 with each at different times. I am still looking for my first 100 straight. This will be my 4th year of ATA shooting and my 5th year shooting trap. Woody Sullivan

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Shoot one gun (one reason I shoot a combo). Get it fitted properly. Get the POI dialed in.

It will be your "magic arrow".

Everything else is just BS. It is fun to play with different guns but I need to shoot a gun a lot to get really good and consistent with it.

I have shot well this year and was asked by a friend when I was going to "upgrade" to a Seitz. I looked at him and said, "What the hell for?!" With an average of close to 98 I will only wind up going through a 6 month or longer learning curve and may not accomplish anything at the end. When I "upgraded" from a K-80 Trap to a TS it took me 4 months to shoot the high rib gun as well as I was shooting the Trap model. It was a waste of money and time. I am not willing to go through that exercise again.

I see many guys try to "buy a higher score". Get the best gun you can afford (important to have a good trigger). Get it set up and go shoot. And shoot A LOT!! If you do not have a grasp of the fundamentals, take lessons from one of the top dogs - Nora Ross (especially if you are one-eyed shooter), Leo Harrison and Frank Hoppe are good too, I have worked with them and they are excellent. And the lessons are a lot cheaper than a new gun and/or wasting ammo doing things incorrectly.

ALL the magic is in your little pea brain.

Don Verna

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

As for anything other than a combo being BS. I bought my Browning new in 1980....I bought my Ljutic used in '83...and I've never been able to justify buying a combo since they became popular...not with a family to raise and a farm to run....

Ron Burr

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Can't show you... it's a family forum...

18. Nutso

Nutso Member

My 391....anytime I get in a funk I go back to that gun...not sure why I can just shoot it well, picking up the shells and doubles are why I don't shoot it all the time.

Tim

19. romie

romie Active Member

focus on the edge of the target

20. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned several. Hard to pick one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.