1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHATS WRONG WITH TRAP SHOOTING?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kingbang, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

How many times have we seen this subject line?
    What I am seeing is, attendance of a 2 day shoot is 50% or greater less on day two than day one. This I think is due to travel and shoot expenses.
    So I'll throw this out for concideration.
    I gathered up shoot programs back to the early 80's. Most of these shoots offered entries basically for "birds" only with daily fees added or included. The "trophy" for a win or runner up was a "pin" The club may also have offered "added prizes or money" that were donated or offered at the clubs expense.
    As a general rule,an event was around $14.00 per 100 without daily fees.
    Then $5.00-$10.00 for the class,yardage,ford,lewis,ect,ect,ect,options if you wanted to play. Keep in mind. These were squads of 50 plus. Today 15 is exceptional.
    Today, most programs INCLUDE the purse option.With an exception that there be 2 - 3 shooters in a class to qualify. Yet then state, EACH class will win, $50.00 for first and $30.00 for second or whatever,per event. So you have 3 A class,3 lady, 3 junior,3 sub junior and so on. So each class paid in $20.00- $30.00, yet the club paid out $80.00 PER event and class. Net loss is $50.00 -$ 60.00 per event and class. You see whats wrong here?
    So what if we have a program and offer $20.00 per 100 and dailys, Class money in and out.
    This way B,C D, don't pay for the A's, or any other class, each class has to show up or they get thier money back. A AA should be offered a $50.00 option per event as a challenge to any other A AA shooter.

Thoughts?

Dennis

2. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

well here we go.

I feel the larger shoots are screwed. the "satellite" grands have no money in them, probably has a lot to do, due to the excesive cost to hold one of these shoots, charged to the host club's by the ATA....

Travel costs are up, fuel, ect, ect.....

Calcutta's are a forbidden language anymore in reg., events, which is crap... turn your heads and shut-up if you dont like um.

well, that should get things stirred up???

Matt Nicol

3. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Well Matt 166 views and no takers

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong that a major turn around in the economy couldn't help.

Eric

5. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Organization the ATA why don't they do some thing about the cost of shells and supplys they take our money and we pay all the fees and we pay all the travel expenses why can't the ATA get with a lead company or ammo company and work a cost effective program for every one that loves to shoot ,come up with a purchasing plan for shells or lead and or components.

Because no one cares if you shoot or not, just you're self no one but you they don't care if you come or you don't unless you pay ....

There is never going to be a turn around in this economy as long as we are non producers of goods and don't manufacture anything we will have nothing and that's what the government wants you to have nothing we are giving so much now out of our checks and getting nothing in return we can't even work when we want to . the Wall streeters are the ones keeping the lead prices up and running the country ( ruining the country). $ 2900.00 dollars a TON for lead. outragous.

6. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

That's a hell of an idea, MX2005. Why don't you talk to your delegate and find out?

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mixer has it right. Adn kingbag needs to go shoot instead of dillying with a keyboard. King, it is the season. Go shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The shooting sports, most of the time, even when you win you loose. HMB

9. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I think trapshooting is a bargain compared to the 80s. $14 in 1985 is equal to $27.99 in 2010 taking in inflation. Most places I shoot are in the $21-23/100 range right now. Cheap compared to inflation.

maybe if people were out there shooting instead of talking about shooting, attendance would go up.

That said, I am off to the 2 day shoot now.

10. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

MX2005,I think you may add the environmental powers mining/smelting regs to some of the lead price issues. Excessive controls have caused only the strongest to survive and limiting the field. Doe Run is the largest secondary smelter in the US and is scheduled to close next year.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

balance365, during the 60s to early 80s, what you've written below was also true! EXCEPT, this tidbit, our sport was growing in membership numbers.

"I think trapshooting is a bargain compared to the 80s. $14 in 1985 is equal to $27.99 in 2010 taking in inflation. Most places I shoot are in the $21-23/100 range right now. Cheap compared to inflation."

Along that line of thinking, our sport should actually be growing today instead of shrinking an an alarming rate? Our retention rate sux for keeping new members long term. If it isn't the money or the entertainment bargain today, what's going on with our growth? The problems will continue till we figure out those reasons, that is if we truly want to figure them out? It's far easier to place the blame on something or another without attacking a real recruitment retainment problem in our sport. That's been the program for far too many years.

I too am headed out to shoot as our past ATA leadership saw fit to hook me on the sport long before changing the rules benefiting fewer!!

Hap

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If somebody gave you a choice...<UL><LI>drive a 100 miles to stand on hot concrete in the burning sun on a windless day, bugs up your nose, in your eyes and in your ears waiting your turn to fire expensive ammunition from an expensive gun in an attempt to shoot down something you can't eat or wear after waiting around for half a day having paid for the privilege of doing it, or

<LI>sit comfortably on your sofa whenever you want to in an air conditioned room with an icy beer next to you and your game controller in your hands laying waste to the demon alien hoard...</UL>which would you pick?

MK

13. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Seems the requirement to shoot trap anymore is a $10k+ gun, so many are taking their field gun to the sporting range. I’ve noticed lately at my club more shooters mid-week practicing than at registered shoots on the weekend?
    The last two shoots had <20 total compared to last year with >50? Fuel and fees are playing a part for sure. jmho

14. shelly

shelly TS Member

MK, that was a hoot, and so true.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sporting Clays kicked our behinds. Joe Average shows up at a Trap club with his Mossberg 500, feels out of place and never returns. Trap continues to market itself to aging, wealthy, overweight and dried up prunes (like myself). Softened up the targets so most 12 year olds can break 100's and took the money angle out of the game. What's left is a mere shadow of our once great game!!

16. shelly

shelly TS Member

I've attended dozens of sporting clays shoots and have never seen a Mossberg at any of them. Shotgun snobbery is just as prevelent in SC as it is in skeet or trap, although pink stocks are only required in skeet.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

So Shelly, you're telling us that all the Sporting Clays shooters you see are dangling $15,000 K-80's at every station. I'd say you're more likely to find a Beretta A391-at least in our area!!

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Sporting Clays kicked our behinds. Joe Average shows up at a Trap club with his Mossberg 500, feels out of place and never returns. Trap continues to market itself to aging, wealthy, overweight and dried up prunes (like myself). Softened up the targets so most 12 year olds can break 100's and took the money angle out of the game. What's left is a mere shadow of our once great game!!"

oleolliedawg:

Your blunt truthfulness is only surpassed by your incredible hilariousness. LOL!!

-Gary

19. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

UNKNOWN1
    I have spent many hot afternoons in the blazins sun at high power matches wearing a shooting coat and underneath that there was usually a sweatshirt to keep the ejected brass from blistering your forearm if it went donw your sleeve, I sweat like a dog and had to wash the coat after every match and enjoyed it immensley. I left the sport several years ago due to the prevalence of the ego's that the high master shooters had developed, I will shoot trap on any day I can, hot, cold or comfortable, I think it's more of a mindset than anything else, just wear light clothes and drink water, sweat and enjoy the company of others who have the same interest in the sport..Woody Sullivan
    P.S. here in central Florida it really gets hot and humid but trap is still fun.

20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the truth is the sport has been dominated by a select few, the rest of us are hopefuls, the money is gone, no one wishes to almost certainly piss it away, the economy is in the toilet, the country in crisis, and we still want to shoot trap.
    I would be if I could be, but my pockets simply aren't deep enough to support my shooting in the fashion I was used to. I will have to contend myself with intense periodic bursts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.