1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with new BT-99's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by William Perry, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Perry

William Perry Member

Whats wrong with new BT-99

When I mentioned here that I bought a new BT-99 grade III a few days ago I got an e-mail saying it wasn't very good and should have bought something else. I own 3 Krieghoffs, and 5 Brownings. I've had very good luck with both brands overall. The service in Ottsville is great, but most local gunsmiths can take care of your Browning. What is everyones experience.

Bill

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whoever emailed you doesn't know what they are talking about. Now some of the older BT 99's are more desired because they shot higher but there is nothing wrong with the new ones. Good solid Trap single. I know guys that have shot the new model BT's back to the 27.

Of course its not a P or K gun but they also don't cost near as much.

Those Grade III are really nice looking. Have a kid on our Youth team with one. Nice wood on them for a modern Browning.

3. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I tell you whats wrong. Mine keeps breaking....................targets!

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The only problem with the newer BT-99's and the old ones too are they don't have a second shot. Other than that the older one's have ejectors while the new ones only have a extractor. The old ones more hand fitting, but had fixed chokes and standard bore barrel. New ones have a better overbored target barrel with a vast choice of chokes to suit everyone's tastes. Enjoy your new shotgun and may your best scores with it. break-em all. Jeff

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Since we are on the subject, I have shouldered a couple of stainless,(perhaps nickel,) BT-99s with grey laminate stocks that feel like putting on rabbit fur gloves. I would love to have one, but do they have issues or are they as good as other BT-99s? Jack

6. grntitan

The only BT 99's that had issues that i know of were the BT 99AR. They have an adjustable rib. I have heard they have fixed that issue. I think the grey laminate stock BT you are describing is just like the blued ones only stainless or nickle. I haven't heard anything bad about them. Seems like i heard or read that the laminate stock BT 99's were made for Zanders Sporting Goods and the BT 99AR's was made for Monsoors Sport Shop.

7. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Well I guess I will be the one to tell about the BT's.

Recently 3 people I know have purchased the new ones for youth, each of them are having forend issues. The screws are working up and making the forend hard to remove, in another case the forend actually split.

From talking to a number of people, Browning is not made like the older ones, they had a rod from the front of the forend into the forend, this seem to give it more strength. I am sure its just a cost saver, but they are getting a bad name for it.

Still love my BT, but mine is an older one and even I am having forend issues and Browning would not even give me a price to just replace my forend, its on a Golden Clay version even.

Deb

8. BUFFALO SOLDIER

BUFFALO SOLDIER Member

OhioGal hit the nail on the head, I just got my son's Highgrade BT 99 back after Browning had it for (3) Three months for a forend fix.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I'm on my second bt. The new one does not have forearm issue like the older one. Several shooters that I know had trouble with the screws on the forearm loosening up. This can be solved easily with glue or locktite, but you have to catch it before it becomes so loose as to cause damage. The new one may not have the problem because of the R.A.D. setup on the stock. Maybe less kick and vibration? Bill in MI

10. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

there are 3 things I dont like about the new BT-99's. 1) they are now cheaply made by removing the long rod in the forend, they took the long tang out of the grip, and they removed the ejectors. 2) these guns are only available in straight stock configuration unless you go with a more expensive upgrade to a grade 3 or higher. 3) the checkering is so abrasive and rough that I have to use gloves just to keep my hands from getting ripped up. these are just my opinions. BYG

11. grntitan

When did all these changes take place? I have a 2007 model and have had no issues at all. In fact we have 5 other BT 99's on our High School Trap Team and i guess we have been very lucky as they have operated flawlessly. I believe they are all around the 2003-2007 models according to Brownings serial number ID system.

12. 3357

3357 Member

a little blue lock-tite on the two machine screws and a little silicone adhesive on the wood screw (all 3 in fore arm) solved the problem on my wifes golden clays version.

13. William Perry

William Perry Member

Thanks for the input. So far the gun is a lot of fun. I'll keep an eye on the fore end screws. Most of the target model Brownings at my club have held up well.

Bill

14. Fiercepearce17

Fiercepearce17 TS Member

I have been shooting a Bt99 grade I since I was 18 (which was purchased new in 2007) I also just won the Virginia State Singles Championship with it last weekend so the gun shoots great.

Only problems I have had with it is that the forearm screws do have a tendency to loosen up, and the forearm starts to shake around some. But as stated in a previous post, blue lock-tite also solved that problem. Also, I have rubbed a lot of the bluing off in one spot but thats probably more due to my hands than the gun.

Will Pearce

15. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It isn't necessary to send the gun back for loose screws. Blue Loctite will fix it as Fiercepearce said. I would not hesitate to buy a new one. I have owned three of them and aside from the forearm screws, which I fixed, I thought they were a good gun. I shoot BT's better than any other gun I have ever owned and I have owned a few expensive guns... Always went back to the BT! And the ones with the laminate wood are nickel, not stainless.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If your going to buy a BT, find an older one with the engraved
    receiver. They are a much better gun than the current version.
    The current gun has been cheapened up with plain wood, no engraving,
    and I've been told some of the internal parts are now cast rather
    than machined. The current gun is also much harder to resell.

17. Franktri

Franktri Member

If you read the comments on this forum, you will eventually find that there is always someone who does not like what most people think is a good gun. I have a BT-99 Grade 3 and love it. My grandson and many friends own BT-99s and almost never do I hear anything bad. Besides,the price is right... Find anything better at the price and I'll eat my hat!!

18. JoeE1

JoeE1 TS Member

I have a 32" BT99 made in 1994 (ejectors), with what I consider grade 3 or 4 wood on it's way back from the Gun Dr.(delivery to be Monday the 12th per tracking #). Factory engraved receiver. Complete rebuild (bbl.forearm lug, bbl. receiver lugs, locking lug and new springs), and I probably won't be shooting it, as I shoot very little now and won't need two trap guns. I may have it for sale.

Joe
    joee1_2008_030314.jpg

19. arend003

arend003 Member

Had the forearm problem on both mine and my wife's BTs a trip to the gunsmith put in an insert inn place of the wood screw to except a sheet metal screw. No more problems with it coming loose
    Just my 2 cents
    Tom

20. Landshark

Landshark Member

I had a BT -99 and did ok with it. My only complaint was it was too light on the front end. I fixed it with a hang on bbl weight. IMHO they are a solid trap gun. Simple and tuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

whats wrong with the dude eye from the trap queen video