1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with a SKB?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

What

I'm at the Washington State Shoot, there's a nice looking SKB
    85 combo for sale $1700. Every time I pick it up someone tells me
    to stay away, they are nothing but trouble.
    What is the problem?

Thx Bill

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

They're not a bad gun, and that's a good price.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bill, bottom line is nothing is wrong with them. The company that makes them went out of business. SKB is tring to find a new manufactorer but still has not found one. They are good guns but have a bad or so=so reputation in the shooting world. They do have excellent customer service center that can and will go over that gun and install any up grades that may be needed at no cost to you other than shipping in most cases. Their regular wood leaves a little to be desired, but the up graded wood is very nice in most cases. They do lock up very nice with a strong lock box. Do send it to factory and have them go over it. Also the factory should have parts for 30 years, or a least a long time, so no problem there. Have fun and Break-em all. Jeff

4. flasch192

flasch192 Member

They been gettin a bad wrap latley for no reason. Some say they have had issues, mines been flawless,I bought a cynery combo and may just go back too the 85tss ........

5. Bill Roberts

Thx guys it looks like a nice gun.

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had an SKB Combo and loved it. It was really built like a tank and it was fitted to me so I didn't have any problems with recoil.

I loved everything about it except:

the trigger springs broke waaaay too often. I could not get through any shoot from December, 2008 till the end of March of 2009, the Florida State Shoot. Every single shoot, the trigger broke.

At the time, the gunsmith recommended by SKB lived and worked at the Silver Dollar, so if I could put my hands on him, he fixed it in 10 minutes. But, I spent a lot of time at the make-up trap.

Finally, in March of that year, he got some new springs from SKB. They didn't work any better and I traded it in on an MX-6 Combo which I still shoot.

I have a friend who has an SKB and I understand the springs are now in their third (at least) generation and she has had no problem since she got them in her gun.

But for the spring issue, I'd still be shooting the SKB and, truth to tell, if I found a combo at the price you have the opportunity to buy one at, I might jump in again.

Bob

7. Bill Roberts

Good info thx Bob.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Early SKBs did have bad springs ... but they did solve the problem with the tempering.

Newer springs work perfectly.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I shot one for over a year, 5 years ago...with no issues. It did break a spring right after I sold it.

Otherwise, good gun for the money.

10. Slugo

Slugo Member

should have told the obnoxious clown to put down the crack pipe...

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

While at the shoot go and ask the gunsmiths there. They will tell you what is good and what is not. If the co is out of business then parts are going to be a problem. If you don't have a gunsmith that will work on the gun then you have a problem of service. You need to look at all angles on the gun you are thinking of buying.

12. zaob1

zaob1 Member

I bought my SKB at Silver Dollar two years ago, and have not looked back since. It fits great and shoots straight. I have had no problems at all. Yes they are out of business per sey, but are still backed by a great customer support team. If you live close to the Dollar and need help, no one better. Buy, and don't look back. Great gun for the price.

Rick

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

best bang for the buck.

blade819

14. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

I have a GC7 32" Topsingle with a Monte Carlo stock and a adjustable comb and a Gracoil in super great shape in the box for $1400 + shipping. Prefer a face to face sale in Southern Michigan if possible or funds wired to my account. I will post photos in a complete post on Sunday. PM for details if you are interested.

MGM

15. sagepost2

sagepost2 Member

Bill,You have a p.m. Thanks Gary

16. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

My middle Son has been shooting his 85TSS for two years now and we have had no problems with it. It's a great gun. As for parts and service, SKB US out of Omaha is the best and you will not find any better support.

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I know it can happen to any gun (some makes more than others) but I was on the line just last week and a gentlemen had to leave because his SKB broke. Them not being in business anymore would make me not buy one or own one. Just mite tell you why the price is so low and it still for sale.

18. JoeE1

JoeE1 TS Member

when you buy a P gun, they offer a spare parts package. Wonder why if never needed? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn.

Joe

19. missed some

missed some TS Member

my kid's gun had 2 broken firing pins, a broken hammer and top latch problem, and that was in the first 3000 shells. it may be running fine i don't know because it went away.

20. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Bill,
    My 85TSS was imported in 2003 I think. No problems whatsoever in over 5k rounds. Soft shooting gun, crisp trigger. I use a Briley 0.030" Light Full choke (flush - not extended) that is perfect for singles and short yardage HC. I bought an older model BT-99 recently - 'cause it fit me well and all I have read says "its all the gun you will ever need". Well, let me tell you - the 85TSS feels and performs noticeably better. For me anyways !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do skb 3000stocks need epoxy to install

skb 3000 problems