1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with a Butt Ugly gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What

I am in the market for a 4E Knick. One that has lost its collectability, either because it was refinished, or because its needs to be refinished. Lo and behold a 4E appears on Gunbroker that would seem to fit the bill. Unfortunately, it has a real ugly Butt. First it was shortened and then it was brought back to a normal length with black spacers. I know that it will shoot the same regardless of how it looks, but this stock is just too unattractive.

Why do we care how our guns look?

Lou

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

As I had it explained to me one time: Guns are like women. I feel better when I have a good looking one with me. Larry

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Lou :

Sometimes the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Speaking of ugly Butt's I have seen some in the past but they sure can cook a good meal so sometimes you have to look ahead of the im perfect things in life if you really want a good one.

Im sure it will give you better service than a pretty looking Butt on the gun because it might have not seen as much use and fondling so to speak since a lot want's a Butt with a good shape and figure on it so you know we shooters like to show her off a lot more like this one below.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/guns/?action=view&current=itacah.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

But im happy with my Skunk Wood on my model 12 because it is always willing to do it's part if I can do mine so maybe buy the Ugly Butt one and just make it all black since it has a start on it anyway!!!

Foggy

[​IMG]

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Nothing is wrong with a butt ugly gun if it breaks more targets for you than an expensive high grade. You can buy lot of pretty guns if your butt ugly gun wins your events and makes you feel like a winner. The best way to make people envy you is to shoot winning scores with your butt ugly gun beating those who have spent a small fortune on a high end gun.

5. Bushmaster1313

I am in the game as much for the guns as for breaking the targets.
    If I wanted to break more targets I would not be looking for a 50-75 year old gun. Would probably go with one that had an adjustable comb, adjustable LOP, adjustable rib and the ability to take various chokes.

But my Model 12 (19.5 inch barrel) is almost Skunk Grade.

In fact, in honor of Foghorn's "Skunk Grade" I've decided to dub my Model 12 "Business Grade". Any nasty who sees me with my Model 12 will know that I mean business.

[​IMG]

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

ugly guns are like mopeds, fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see ya!

tony

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Back in the 1980's I used to attend turkey (games for money) shoots in which my friend Bob shot an old Winchester 1200 trap grade pump with a 30" fixed full choke. He called it "the ugly gun."

The gun has been used as a loaner for many years at a shooting range and was very well worn. About 30% of the metal finish was gone, the front bead was missing, the rib was held on in two places with bent finishing nails and the stock was cracked. The public range also used to shoot steel shot.

Bob purchased the 1200 when the range closed because he had observed that many shooters that used it always shot good scores. It became his favorite "turkey" gun and he won a lot of money with it especially when shooting from very long range. He shot Federal paper 3 dram 8's and Federal Premium copper plated 7 1/2 pigeon loads. Bob claimed that the gun shot a perfect pattern. He was never out of range no matter how far behind the house the shooting position became.

One day at a shoot after beating about a dozed shooters in a "killer", one of the defeated shooters commented that "the gun was so ugly that he wished that he had never seen it."

Bob softly chuckled and said "A whole lot of people wish that they had never seen that gun!"

Ed Ward

8. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Glock -- world class Butt Ugly, but they work - always.

I love my Beretta AL 391 with synthetic stock. I can use it for a boat paddle if needed. Great hunting gun. Also works every time.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

If one shoots a really good score with a really ugly gun, the gun suddenly becomes beautiful. I once had a very beautiful M-21 with lots of gold inlays. After shooting just a few doubles with the gun, it became very ugly.

Pat Ireland

10. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have a friend with a 5E that is a whole lot uglier than that one. He is fully capable of making a new stock for it but says he shoots it so well just the way it is that he is going to leave it alone. It has about 3 inches of spacers and a spliced in comb. Makes me wince every time I see it.

11. Bushmaster1313

If I HAD an ugly gun that I COULD shoot really WELL, it would be really, really BEAUTIFUL.

But if I am going to buy a classic gun just because it is a classic, I want it to be pleasing to my eye. To take a 60, 75 or even 90 year old gun to the range, and to shoot with it as well as I can, is what I call a fun afternoon. When the gun looks good to boot, that makes it perfect.

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.