1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHATS WITH WENIG

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 27-T, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 27-T

27-T Member

Is Wenig Gunstocks still in business? I sent them an e-mail, some time ago, with some questions about making a stock for me, but have not received a response. Has anyone else had this problem? If they are out of business, who else is a good stockmaker for a custom trap stock.

2. joehunter

joehunter Member

I was just with them at the Sporting Clays Nationals in TX. What email did you use? Did you call? They are best in the business.

Joey

3. Landshark

Landshark Member

They were very busy at the NSSA world skeet shoot when I was there. Nice folks.

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Dennis DeVault is considered by many to be the best american trap stockmaker in the US. Wenig is also one of the best, though they sometimes do suffer from communications issues.

5. monroesc

monroesc Member

They have been in Texas. Just got a call from them today about when to expect my new stock. 2 weeks--can't wait!!

Sara

6. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

Calle them today,they answered the phone and my questions

7. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Ordered a stock from them for my daughter about 4 weeks ago and they told me they were way behind because they were busy. I got it today. Very happy with it. Now it is off to local paint shop for some fancy paint work. Will be a birthday gift for her. It will be going on a older 1100 rem trap grade. I got the ladies high comb stock that was hand fitted to a in shop gun. Looking forward to the finished stock.

8. 4painter

4painter Member

well , i beg to difer, their is this stock maker in grand juntion co. he makes all setiz stocks, and custom ones too, he puts the best finish on in the busness. his name is phill sims, email is the walnut maker.com

9. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Called them today, placed an order, they quoted 2-3 weeks for a machine inlet stock and fore-end. Very helpful, very knowledgeable, great experience. The phone is your friend.

10. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I have had Wenig make two stocks for me recently, one for a Perazzi MX2005 and one for a Beretta SO3EELL. Both stocks fit perfectly, were very well made, nicely checkered and beautifully finished. Best of all, I got several 25 straights with the Perazzi in a competition this past weekend.

Highly recommended.

Ted K.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Is Dennis D a custom order only basis stock man? Or does he have sets made you can browse and buy?

12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I'm with sanremo. I had Wenig do a stock set for me and it sucked. And they weren't EVEN interested in talking about it. Screw them.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Calvin,,,,,,Dennis is a "custom" stock maker and doesn't have an inventory,,,,,that I know of, but you can call and find out for sure.....

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I emailed Wenig yesterday about a replacement 20 ga 1187 stock and they emailed me back today. 2 weeks to get one. None in stock.

15. 1oz

1oz Member

It still is a few craftmen out there in Cole Camp Mo area that can do excellent stock work at excellent prices

16. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Back on wed I posted about an order I placed that day. They quoted 2-3 weels delivery on my machine inlet stock and forearm. They called today and it's ready to ship. Fantastic service so far. Can't wait to see the stock. Stay tuned!

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a custom stock of their best English Walnut made for me in 2005 with the fitting done at the Grand. Everything was fantastic - the way I was treated, the selection of wood and the finished product.

averaged_2008_0303410.jpg

Fred Wenig and Elbert Smith were great to deal with and even dug around for a better forend blank for me than the one with my stock blank. Here is a shot of them; Fred has my blanks and Elbert is holding my KX-5 with its try stock

averaged_2008_0303411.jpg

But two or three years ago, I called with the intention of having a stock made for my Beretta 687 and the man with whom I spoke just seemed "cold" and impatient so I asked for Fred or Elbert only to learn that they no longer owned the company. I decided that for all I shoot any more, the factory stock would work fine.

Shopping for a stockmaker was an eye-opening experience. I spoke with everything from a very friendly husband and wife selling wood off a card table on the sidewalk

averaged_2008_0303412.jpg

to well-known craftsmen who acted as though they didn't want my business at all. Wenig's staff made feel welcome and comfortable; I didn't get that feeling when speaking with whomever that person was a few years ago.

Ed

18. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Giacomo is retired also ..

we must move on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.