1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's with the shell companies

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I the short time that I've been shooting, 7 years, there has been a complete change over by 2 of the top three shell manufactures.

When I first started shooting the only hulls that were reloaded came from Winchester and Federal. A few reloaded Remingtons but not many.

Seven years later you see Winchester AA's and Federal GM's laying about the trap fields like orphans. No one wants the new versions of these hulls. The only Remingtons laying around are so used up one wonders how the crimp held long enough for them to get to the trap club.

What were the companies thinking when they made new dies. I know cost had to a consideration, but how many customers have they lost because of this. If I buy new shells, I'm going to buy something that I'll reload.

I'm sure it cost them more in business than what they saved on the new dies. How many of you would go back to shooting AA's and GM's if they went back to the old design hulls?

ec90t

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm not sure where you live but out here in the Southwest people who shoot Remington Nitro's, STS's, Gun Clubs and just about anything else that says Remington on it would never let them hit the ground because the reloaders were standing in line to buy them up ... This goes back at least 10 maybe 12 years ... I used to save the Remington hulls for some of the reloaders but it got to the point where I had bags of them laying around in the garage until I got fed up and got rid of all the damn things and I have not saved any since ... I gave a Buddy of mine over 9,000 Nitro hulls at one time, if he didn't take them they were going into the trash the next day ... Now, I open the gun and where ever they land thats where they stay as far as I'm concerned or I save them and dump them in the trash ... I do not reload ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I buy AA factory and reload only new AA hulls which I much prefer over the smashed crimps from the last versions of the old style AA hulls. I reload em 3 times and the 3rd reload goes on the ground when I shoot Doubles.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Winchester caused a lot of problems.........after 25 years of touting the "compression formed" hull, and being the standard of the industry, they went chickenshit.

The machinery needed to be replaced. Now, a Riefenhauser (straight tube, separate base wad) hull is much cheaper to make, and the machinery costs less. (enter the Harvard Business School bottom line boys).

So Winchester chose the cheap route, albeit with a bit of trickery. They made the base wad so that the internal dimensions of the hull were the same as the old tapered AA.

There were a few problems at the beginning but the AAHS seems to load OK, and as long as you load them on a Mec you will never have the dreaded base wad separation.

The Remington Premier (non-metallic green color) was a great hull but it was a little difficult to load, because the case mouths were rather stiff. STS and Nitro, the next generation solved that problem by being thinner at the mouth.

I prefer Nitro's but I suspect I may be a bit anal since I use a 100% clone recipe right down to the primer.

I have used the same load in AA cases and it works fine.

Federal Gold Medals are very fine hulls but the wads used should be larger diameter, never mind what the recipe books say.

So they are somewhat out of favor. They are one piece, unlike the cheapie Top Gun and Target which have a separate rolled paper base wad which loses little chunks after 4 or so loads (increasing the internal volume)and crimps begin to cave in.

If I had several thousand Gold Medals I would be happy to use them but I guess they aren't sold in large amounts. Probably because the cheap ones got popular when reloading got expensive.

Today I see every color and variety of shells being used, and my explorations of the trash barrels are more frustrating. Lots of stuff I wouldn't even reload the first time.

I like to pick up Gun Clubs, reload once and toss. Same recipes as AA and STS.
    Other than the steel base, they reload fine. Plastic is not of the same quality as the better hulls.

The upside is I can color code about 6-7 different loads.

Can't wait to see what happens next. They will probably figure out how to make shells out of Saran Wrap.

HM

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I use both AA and STS hulls. My MEC 9000H likes the Rem STS better. The loader sometimes sticks on the AA hull during resizing. Otherwise, no problems. I use Windjammer, AA, and F-8 wads, and Red Dot and Green Dot powder. I haven't had a problem once I got the wad pressure right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.