1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what's there for the occasional shooter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jul 26, 2013.

1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

what

Myself and a few other club shooters that I shoot with like to occasionally go to a "big shoot". None of us keep up on our registered rounds and generally just pay the fees and shoot a 16 yard singles event and hang out some and then go home. None of us really understand what's out there for us at one of the bigger shooting events here in MI. Can anyone kind of steer us as to what sort of game or bet to look for at a registered shoot? Some of these guys can really run the birds but we just do it locally at non registered birds. thanks Bill

2. gundog

gundog TS Member

Just go do it, you will have fun. I would not play any options because you will find out for yoursef who can really run the targets. Anyway go do it its alot of fun. Good Luck.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just go to a big shoot and shoot singles. Even if you are shy on required minimums for the bigger shoots, you can still shoot. They will just penalize you by bumping you up in class. No big deal. The big shoots are a great place to see how you fit in the big picture. They are also great for people watching. You will also find good deals on guns and related items. Of course to shoot you must be paid up on your ATA dues. If you want to play a little money, play the Lewis.

4. lostandout

lostandout Member

look into the wmcc on trapshooter shoots every sunday

brian

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you're going for the "experience" of the event itself - don't shoot for trophies... register/classify for targets only to avoid penalty class and yardage, but see how you compete with others similarly classified. If you eventually choose to want the competition, then either make the time to get in enough targets to compete at your known ability or shoot penalty...

At our range, we throw 3-4 target-only events each year to give our guys and gals a chance to build up some known-ability at home (Naperville)... then, there are a 1/2 dozen local big shoots put on by Downers, St. Charles and Maywood... and with having known ability and understanding the basic premise of registration - my folks can go to any one of those and not be embarrassed during the process and/or penalized - because they have experience and some known ability in hand...

You'll always be welcome at any shoot... however, when it comes down to money and trophies - even the trinkets - shooters don't want their pockets picked...

Jay

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You have to like to compete. Are you competitive? If not, just have fun and don't expect to much.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Sounds to me like you should be a "games" shooter.

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

You would be better off to just shoot practice. Much cheaper.

1 OT

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Slayer, like you, I'm just an occasional registered Trap shooter. I like to go to the big shoots a couple few times a year just to see everything and enjoy the sport. It's fun to visit vendors, meet some people that you've only had Emails with and shoot with some really good shooters.

A great sport with great people.

10. tincanman

tincanman Member

Bet amongst yourself and keep your cash from going into the pockets of people who make a living shooting ATA targets. At any given shoot, even D class is being won with scores in the high 90's. There was a recent shoot off in Kentucky that took 225 extra shells to determine a singles champion. Granted, these weren't D class shooters, but maybe ATA trap is just too easy, * (there's a whole other thread).... Shoot for fun, bet your buddy that you'll smoke his score. There aren't too many out there making any money by shooting ATA trap.

11. missemucho

missemucho Member

Slayer:
    If you enjoy trap shooting you owe it to yourself to go to at least one of the big shoots. Lots of nice folks and some fantastic shooting on display. Who knows, if you shoot you might have a good day and a memory to last the rest of your life! Just don't play the options! I'm not a regular, though I've belonged to the ATA since 2004. I try never to miss the Fall Handicap at Linn Creek; some amazing crowds and the "big dogs" come out in force plus great vendors. Some day I hope to make it to the Grand just for the experience.
    John