1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the Word on The Ford 6.7 Diesel Engine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I wish they still made the 7.3 engine but they don't. They replaced the engine with a 6.7. How is that engine doing and is it any good?

2. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Auctioneer - I'd go to the Ford truck enthusiasts forum (www.ford-trucks.com, or see above link), go to the 6.7 liter section of the forum, and start reading. Lots of good people there, and lots and lots of good information there. One word of warning though... sometimes these forums can make it sound like a particular engine like this is really bad because most only post on there when they have a problem, and few go on just to say "Wow, my 6.7 is really running great". Keep this in mind as you research, but it will probably give you a good feel for what people think of the engine and whether there are any serious chronic problems recently. Or... put up a post on there and ask! Good luck! Mike

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The word on the street is that the Ford 6.7 is head and shoulders above any of those Navistar dogs.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Navistar had big problems. I figured the Ford Phoenix would be done right.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The people i have talked to said it was a good engine but not an engine to be hopped up like the 7.3. The new engine makes a lot of power out of the box and will not take excessive turbo boost or excessive chip changes.

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I did quite a bit of research before I traded in my Dodge 5.9 Cummins a couple of weeks ago. Decided not to go with the Ram 6.7 because it's not the engine the 5.9 was. Was leaning toward the Ford 6.7 until I discovered that the short bed only has a 26 gallon fuel tank. That's not near enough so I went with the 6.6 Duramax with it's 36 gallon tank.

Car and Driver recently had a good comparison of the 3- it's at

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-chevrolet-silverado-2500-ltz-4wd-crew-cab-vs-2012-ford-f-250-super-duty-king-ranch-4x4-crew-cab-2012-ram-2500-laramie-longhorn-4x4-mega-cab-comparison-tests

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have a 7.3 and love it.. a good friend of mine and my bother-in-law has the new 6.7 They both say it has the horsepower from the factory and the pep of the other trucks they owned that had tuners on them. Only thing that they complain about is the MPG is not good when not towing. Only around 16 mpg
    Towing is still about the same at 8-9 mpg. That is loaded with a large 5th wheel camper and pulls it great. The fuel tank is too small is the other complaint.

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

FYI, the fuel capacity problem with the Ford Super Duty exists only with the short bed model. If you go with the long bed you get 37.5 gallons which is a bit more than either the Ram or GM/Chevy.

9. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

The small fuel tank is only on the short bed truck. You can get an aftermarket tank that holds around 50 gallons. I haven't found the need to do this yet. I typically get 420 miles city/highway with the small tank.

I now have 12,000 miles on my new 6.7 since January. Running great! It is powerful, efficient, quiet, and dependable. What else do you want?

The only thing special I'm doing is adding 4 ounces of Stanadyne "Purple" fuel additive to every tank. This adds lubricity to our 5itty EPA fuel that lacks sulfer which makes it hard on the high pressure (21,000 psi) Bosch fuel pump. Some people (me included) hope/pray this additive will extend fuel pump life 3x. There have been many failures at 100,000 miles.....with little warranty from Ford when they die.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

John Galt went (likely) went through a similiar list of trucks...and checked off the negatives and pluses of each as I did. We both now have 2012 Duramax Trucks as per his comment in this thread. Mine: 2012 4x4 Crew Cab GMC, short bed. Comfortable Sheepdog/Clydesdale of a tool.

The Chevy/GMC line 2011 forward have the act together. Better chassis, stiffer frame, more power, good fuel mileage. Some don't feel that the interior is "truck like"/plushy enough. I think the interior is pleasantly techy and understated, yet plush. I consider the Chevy/GMC diesels "the best" all around when the Allison trans is also taken into account. For heavy offroad use, I would guess that the 4x4 Ford or 4x4 Ram have a more appropriate front axle, but who's to say given recent GM upgrades on the big trucks.

My major complaint re. my GMC Duramax truck: Filler for DEF is inconvenient, high, and under the hood.

The Ford 6.7 is, I think, super quiet, and likely quieter than the latest Duramax. Amazingly quiet, and the Ford looks like a very nice package, beautiful paint colors, etc. Rumor has the Ford 6.7 being a bit thirsty compared to the others...I don't know for sure, spoke with an owner who had one of the first factory "chipped/upgrade" versions in 09-11 and he had a beautiful quiet truck.

Ram, ne' Dodge, well, a good old standard. Like the idea of a big inline six in concept for diesel use. But, the package is a bit long in tooth...consider the trans, etc.

All are good IMO, depends what hits you on a subjective note re. the details. Any one will do the job..hauling things up to their rated tow max and slightly beyond. The aformentioned Car and Driver comparo is quite insightful.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

On the original question: My 7.3 Ford was born in 2001, has over 100 thousand miles and has had two repairs; I replaced the water pump (coolant) just because it was dripping a drip or two on my driveway and I had to have the rearview mirrors automatic adjusting switch replaced due to a failure - the rest was all lube-oil-filter jobs and a set of tires. I have noted that when I take it in for the LOF jobs, it has 3 or 4 Ford 6.7s in for much more significant repairs. The operator of the shop I use WAS the Ford Dealer shop boss. He and all the other mechanics are still working together after the dealer folded thanks to the economy so I trust his suggestion I keep the 7.3 as long as possible. Other info is mine is a 2WD, F250 equipped to tow any sort of trailer from horses to 5th wheel RVs and that's been quite successful......breakemall

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have a 2002 F350 Lariat crew cab 4x4 longbox with the 7.3 liter diesel. It has an automatic, because I just couldn't find a manual transmission truck worth buying when I was looking. I have been more than happy with my truck. It now has 165000 miles, and the only repairs were new kingpins, needed when I bought it. It hauls a 12' camper, pulls a boat, and took 3 of us, all our gear, and a big quad and quad trailer in an enclosed trailer on a 1200 mile hunting trip, with no problems at all. Parked in the bush for 2 weeks in temperatures down as low as 35 below 0, I cycled the glow plugs twice, and it flashed right up no problem. Noisy and smoky, but it ran easily. I would recommend that truck and engine to anyone.

My job last winter was plowing, sanding and salting, and patrolling the highways. One of the trucks I patrolled in was a 2010 Chev 4x4. It was difficult to get into (I'm 6'4), due to a short door height relative to the seat, causing me to put my head in, then slide into the seat. It felt quite cramped in the cab, and the geometry seemed to be off. By this I mean the seat, wheel, and pedals were never comfortably arranged. I could adjust to my heart's content, but it just wasn't a comfortable fit. It drove okay, but I would never buy one, just because of the uncomfortable cab.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Why should I have to buy an aftermarket fuel tank when an adequate one should come from the factory? Anybody who thinks a 26 gallon fuel tank is big enough has never towed a fifth wheel camper. That wouldn't get you much more than 200 miles between fillups. To each their own, but I like to go much further than that and don't want to spend a couple of grand on a replacement tank or lose bed space with an extra tank.

14. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Who tows a fifth wheel camper with a short bed truck? To each their own....

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Many tow with short bed trucks. Articulated 5th wheel hitches are rather de rigor for the job. John Galt, can you weigh in on this?

16. kenf

kenf Active Member

Weak link on the 6.7 is the rods- if you start to modify/tune it. Otherwise they are in fine shape so far. Other interesting thing is the new intake/exhaust design allows the engine to breathe like a gas engine on the top end. A friend of mine built a twin turbo setup for his and currently is running in the 12's in the 1/4 mile.

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

"Who tows a fifth wheel camper with a short bed truck?"

Pretty much everybody I know, that's who. Take a look at any rv park and I'll bet you will find more short bed trucks than long. Long bed trucks used to be the norm but combined with a crew cab they are nearly impossible to park without sticking out a mile.

Short beds became practical for towing fifth wheel trailers after exended pin boxes became the norm. Slider hitches also are a big help if one is worried about hitting their cab. I used to have a slider hitch (articulated?) but never needed to slide it back so got rid of the heavy thing. Also, the newer trailers like my 2013 Cougar have scalloped the front corners of the trailer to allow more trailer/cab clearance. Why did they do this: because short bed crew cab trucks have become so common. My hitch is located where center of the trailer kingpin is one inch in front of the axle and with my short bed truck, I can't hit the cab at all going forward and, in fact won't hit backing up until about an 80 degree angle or more. That's plenty of clearance for me.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, I've seen just the opposite, John. The obvious preference is the long bed for 5th wheels and the few short ones I've seen had many with damage from crunching at the cab; some very severe. Perhaps it's a locality difference, I'm in the far west and those states and mountains......breakemall

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I'm guessing that you don't tow a fifth wheel Bob. I do and can't remember the last crunched cab I saw. Amazingly, I've never crunched the cab of any of the 3 short bed trucks I've towed with for the past 25 years. The reality is that crunching the cab isn't an issue anymore like it was before extended pinboxes and slider hitches came upon the scene. No way any rational person would tow a fifth wheel with a standard pinbox and no slider.

Funny, the only thing I see crunched around here are tailgates. I don't know how people manage to crunch them so often. Apparently, it takes a talent I hope to never acquire!

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

John, I towed 5th wheels over a 12 year period in the western mountains and such. First was a 26 footer whose brand escapes me, second was a 28 foot Alpenlite and the last a 31 foot NU-Way. I've since out grown the desire for a number of reasons but still have the truck; miss the travel dearly but without the drive to resume. Saw damaged short beds? Sure, maybe only 4 or 5 and as I said one of them was severe, clearly body shop overhaul but it had to be one serious idiot who did the "driving." Most of this time was before the notion of the slider hitches; at least to my memory but I never had the idea to consider one.

Saw lots of those crushed tailgates and bed rails where the nimrods would forget to ensure a solid connection and pull forward too! Got out of the desire just in time for the economy to tank or I'd be selling for 1/2 price or less......breakemall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.