1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the ultimate gun for the games?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joegriff, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegriff

joegriff Member

I gave up ATA shooting almost 40 years ago and took a 25 year vacation to raise two kids and a family, but never lost my love for the sport of trapshooting. Seven years ago I found myself single, kids grown and myself retired and the ability to do about anything I wanted. Found what I liked most "Potshooting" along with a few other things. I always shot and loved Model 12's But the dreaded flinch "got me". Inter a couple of release BT-99's. I shoot them well But still sometimes I go back to the old Model 12's. I've always been interested in the Guns others shoot. Mostly Model 12s, Next the BT's and a few 870's and Browning O/U's. I think I have found the perfect gun for the Games. I think it has to be able to shoot a 3" if needed and It must be ugly. Mine's a Model 12 30" 3" Square bolt with ugly stock wood kicked up to shoot a little high to see the target break. Yea, I known It can't come close to the Model 12 skunk grade that someone has on TS. com has but close. Show me yours and I show you mine. Joe

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Joe..... I, too, have a passion for "Pot Shoots". While I shoot mostly registered targets, I always manage to squeeze in as many pot shoots as I can during the year. I have shot Model 12's, Ljutics, BT-100's, 870 Comp's, Beretta 303's, and a host of others. My gun of choice for these shoots is a Remington 90-T. Built like a tank, heavy with no recoil, able to withstand the big loads I "sometimes" use, and, with a .745" barrel and a .711 choke constriction, it grinds up the targets from the "outback" with no problem when I do my part..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have always liked a Model 12 with Remington Nitro 27's from as far back as I can see them from ... I watch several guys tear guns (Beretta 303) apart with big boomer shells and they seldom win anymore than anyone else, so I fail to see the logic in the big boomer type shells ... I have always had a passion for a nice Model 12 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha maybe that is why I have five 3 inch Mod 12s!

I you have a 'flinch' install a RAD or any other recoil reducer on the stock!

5. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Joe, My advice is to pick up a nice used un-altered TM-1 Perazzi single barrel with a 34" bbl that has been un-altered. Porting is ok and actually preferred. Possibly the very finest single for the money and stocked properly doesn't kick anything like a Model 12. Will break the targets as far as you can see them. Won't break the bank either.
    Best of all the guns shoots a lot like a model 12!
    That and 50 cents will get you a phone call.
    If you do take this advice go over to Bruces and pick up a nice heavy blank of English walnut and I'll re-stock it for you.
    Hope we could shoot together again some day|! Phil in Colorado

6. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Joe,

Why not get a Model 12 with a release trigger in it? Should be the best of both worlds for you. For me, I shoot games with whatever gun I happen to shoot registered targets with. Right now it's a Kolar combo, but I have used a few Ljutics and Brownings in the past- probably did my best work with the Ljutics (and one was choked a paltry .0028"), but all of them work fairly well. Shoot what you have and have fun! That's what it's all about...unfortunately as I'm finding out switching guns too often is not the best approach!

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Joe, I was a Model 12 shooter for over 20 years, and I loved the way they point and shoot. But, I never cared for the kick.

Fast forward 30 years to the present and I now shoot a Ljutic. The closest thing you can get to the feel of a Model 12, but with a lot less recoil.

I'm loving it and kicking myself for not shooting one 20 years ago. But what the heck, I had fun.

Try one, you'll like it.

Hauxfan!

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

A 3 inch model 12 with a recoil device is the way to go for me and a box of 2 3/4 inch hi brass number 6's. Please keep this a secret as I need the money right now my 401K is wounded.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

105 mm recoiless rifle!

Curt

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Are not Ljutics on the used market fairly priced? They look stronger than a P gun for pot shoot loads. Don't mean to start anything with that statement, just that they look that way to me.

11. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I have to agree with walnutmaker. I have an old TM-1 with the striped receiver. 34" fixed full choke with an Eysterized barrel.I call her "Wilma", she likes 25 grains of SR7625, Winchester red wad, 1-1/4 ounce of 6's, AA silver hull. Smokes the target anywhere with this load. No roar, no flame and little felt recoil. I shot Model 12's for years and love them, but this cheap old TM-1 has far less recoil and feels better than my old shuckers.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A heavy gun or an auto, the beretta's ( 303) have been very good to me

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

In their day, an 870 comp 30" over bored fixed full choke was a tough competitor.

I have seen unreal shots made with all types and brands of shotguns ranging from a break action Winchester Model 37 to high end Kolar's, Seitz'z, etc.

As for me, I like my 1980 870 TA with a 1987 870 TC over bored barrel and the super full choke. 55 points of constriction.

Ed Ward

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

a Remington 870 Competition with factory full chike!!

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If you need a 3" shell to break them way out there something is wrong. I was breaking them from the porch, calls, seconds, thirds, and fourths at Kingsburg Saturday evening with 1 1/8 oz of 6's. That's my big load, I use 1 oz of 7 1/2's for calls back to 30. I like my 32" XT Trap. It is flat shooting, heavy enough to have discipline without being a tank, light enough to get started and swing hard. A full and a mod Trulock and I'm good to go.

16. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Perazzi TM gun 34" full choke (factory)

17. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Please clariy this, is the Perazzi TM 1 simliar to the single Perazzi vintage 1980.I had one and sold it and would like to get back to the traps again,there so many options now.These high ribs pros and cons?

Thanks
    CB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.