1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what's the trick to shooting long barrel guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yellow foot, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellow foot

yellow foot TS Member

Been trying to learn to shoot trap with a BT99 and scores are all over the place. I have an adjustable comb and Graco on the stock. I am 99.9% sure the gun fits. So what is the trick to shooting a 34" barrel gun. I can shoot my 30" skeet gun and get better scores.

2. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Hard to give a good answer without seeing what you are doing, but I might venture to say SLOW DOWN. Make a smooth move to the bird.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pattern your gun... high or low? Keep your head down and practice. Fred

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

There is no trick.

I would say your guns do not have the same, or close, point of impact. Take both guns to a pattern board and find out what the difference is, you will probably be suprised at what you will see. Just because a gun looks ok looking down the barrel does not mean it shoots straight.

Tom Strunk

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find a 32 inch barrel for your gun and give it a try. HMB

6. powderburn

powderburn Member

I agree w/ the 32" statement. If you insist on a 34, slow and deliberate.
    32's swing better in my opinion. better for all over the field.

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Just-a-Shooter has your answer,listen to him. The mechanics of your Skeeter are different...Slow down,speed will come.. GOOD LUCK

8. Frye

Frye TS Member

It's the BT-99 Blues...the only way to cure it is to send the gun to me for proper disposal.... PM me for address.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with Tom S. about the two guns having the same POI, I'd say they don't either.

Shooting a pre-mounted gun and using the upper body as a single unit to move the gun, barrel length would only come into play depending on several things. How well we see peripherally would be first in my opinion. Using the forend hand to push or pull the barrel would make a big difference too when it comes to making a proper bird/bead relationship.

If, and it's a big if, yellow foot's guns happen to have the same POI, his problem more than likely lies in how he moves his guns for trap shooting.

Hap

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Pattern, shoot, shoot.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There is only one place where two inches of barrel length are significant. It is not on the end of a shotgun!!

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

POI.........BT-99s have a 70/30 poi, most "skeet" guns are flat 50/50, the problem I suspect has nothing to do with bbl length

John C. Saubak

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I suspect the 2" difference is really in your mind. If your eye is on the bird, it shouldn't make much difference.

If short barrelled guns worked for trap, we'd all be shooting stubby little 26" field guns and Stoeger would be selling a lot of coach guns.

The real issue is whether it's shooting where you're looking, and that means spending some time at the pattern board. One suggestion, based on my own experience with a Graco recoil reducer is to crank the recoil spring as firm as you can get it. I pull a gun back into my shoulder when I shoot, and I was collapsing the springs, which gave me a variable pull length on every shot. You don't want spongy springs. Although a Graco is good equipment, I never could shoot the darn thing and got rid of it for a Perazzi. You can probably make it work better than I did, but start by cranking it down.

14. yellow foot

yellow foot TS Member

Thank you all for your reply.....I have been to the pattern board. I have what I would call a 60/40 pattern. Center over my mark and a bit high. The gun seems to shoot were I look when I'm on the board. I have even tried bench resting the thing to make sure. I'm used to shooting a 30" gun and find it hard to believe that the extra 4" would make as big a difference as I am having. I have also tried adding some weight to the barrel to slow and smooth out my swing. The Graco is set I think correct ....that is, firm but not mushy. Would hold points have any thing to do with the problem I'm having. Right now I'm holding on the corners for 1 and 5...a bit off center at 3 and splitting the difference between 3 and 1 and 3 and 5 all at about 11/2 feet high. I see the target good when it comes out and I am a two eyed shooter. Spotters that I trust tell me I am some times right high /low and then left high /low. Is it just me not being able to shoot a BT99.
    I have talked to some that say they had the same trouble and after going to another gun there scores improved.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

bobdog, Arnold Reiggers shooting accomplishments with a 30 inch barrel gun (read trap history) say that barrel length works just dandy.

I've shot rounds from the 27 with a 21 inch turkey choked barrel breaking about the same amount as I do with a 34. I said they worked, not the best choice but they work.

yellow foot has issues more important than barrel length to figure out to solve his problem. Hap

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

It's harder to move a long bbl gun than a 30 in. one--maybe the gun is a little more bbl heavy as far as balance is concerned--if you're used to swinging 30 in.bbls you'll notice the difference in speed--if both check out to same p.o.i.,it's probably the weight /balance that's out of whack for you--if you can stand to shoot the longer gun,you'll eventually work it out--my question is why not stay with what's comfortable and works for you? Pi## on what everybody else thinks.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I sure believe in Tom Strunk's analysis. Just basic, best practice first thing to look at. Also: The BT-99 is, for many people, "whippy", a fast moving barrel, hard for some to be smooth staying at that nano-second of proper sight picture. I know others suspect the opposite, so experiment with 1-2 oz. weight at the barrel end. Also, Riegger shot a Model 12, so we can't compare barrel length, on length of sighting plane. Hope this didn't stir the pot of information into some confusion...but look at what Mr. Strunk and others, including self have said, investigating point of impact and balance.

You may consider buying a book that best describes set up of a new to you gun:

Trapshooting: My Life's Adventure by Phil Ross. Advertised here; it helped me with set up. It's a relatively new book, published this year.

Regards,

Chango2

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

My trick is to not tip over since I added a 34" barrel to a Remington 1100. ROFL

I did it for giggles and when I shot poorly, I kept experimenting. After a while my scores came back up and then some more. I find with the 34" on the 1100, I hold the gun lower on the house. It many only be in my mind, but I think the 34" does not require you to be as perfect, since it seems to have more forgiveness factor if you squeeze without the perfect picture. I even used the 34" in doubles and shot well. The farther back I go, the better it shoots. I now enjoy Pondos like I never did before. Give it some time and keep tinkering. I am really glad I stuck with it. I now have added a 34" Beretta and hope to soon add an additional 1100 with long barrel. YMMV IMHO Omaha

19. woodsman

woodsman TS Member

If the move to the target is good, and it shoots where you look when shooting at paper, the issue could be trigger timing difference between the two guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.