1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the thing on the end of the gun.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Ive seen many of shooters have this on the end of the barrel. Its either to the left of the right of the sights about 3 in long give or take and comes up about 1/4 in or so. It hard to describe but it looks like its used to make sure you dont look to far infront of the bird. I dont know if im right. If anone knows what im talking about can you tell me what it is and what it is used for?

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

it is to keep you from "crossfiring" called a sight blinder or something thereof. I use one with success.

3. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

That "thing" at the end of the barrel is a device that helps two eyed shooters from "cross firing". It keeps the non-dominant eye from seeing the front bead and the point to the target - that is left to the dominant eye.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's a little gimmick that supposedly prevents two eyed shooters from seeing something they shouldn't be looking at anyway... the bead. Much cheaper to just take the bead off the barrel and way more logical than hanging a billboard out there to provide something even bigger to look at.

MK

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

when you start crossfiring MK let us know how that works out for ya, it never worked for me, the sight blinder does, maybe it won't work for everyone, but as far as your billboard example, doesn;t work that way, mark crist

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The unknown one is not just unknown but unknowing. :)

There is a condition called binocular or physiological dyplopia. It causes you to see two images in the foreground.

Hold your hands up like you are shouldering a gun. Point your finger out. Look at the wall or out into the distance. How many fingers do you see? Shooters with dyplopia see two fingers. The blinder helps get the brain squared away with the correct image to track in peripheral vision - otherwise your brain gets confused and you don't know what the correct sight picture is when the target/barrel relationship is established (in your subconcious) which is when you pull the trigger.

It isn't about bead checking at all.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MK.... You can crossfire just as easy without the beads as you can with them! Re-read ffwildcats post again... Therein lies the correct answer... Crossfiring has absolutely nothing to do with bead checking, and what works for one may, or may not, work for another... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

9. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Champion makes several models...Cabelas, Gamaliel and Midwayusa sell them now...
    [​IMG]

I have one in white on my trap gun...the green, red and orange are too intense for me...

10. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

I've seen the scores that people who use sight blinders shoot, including missed some. It seems to work out pretty well for him.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

In jungle fighting it was a condom to keep the mud out.

12. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

wildcat

so i did the little test. I see 2 fingers. does that mean that i should try one of the sight blinders?

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The physiological dyplopia refereed to by ffwildcat can be a normal physical failure of convergence of both eyes (looking at your nose) or it can be a symptom of other problems but it is not involved is cross sighting. Cross sighting is when you normally non dominant eye becomes occasionally dominant. Cross sighting has to do with lateral dominance, not eye convergence.

Pat Ireland

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am so use to the Magic Dot that I have become comfortable. I have used similar gimmics...err...I mean tools to battle my eye dominance issue. For one I tried Keen Sights to no avail and resolved back to the tape on the lens.

Oh, Thanks to those who corrected that erroneous statement about not needing the front bead B.S.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Trapshooter on one end,muzzle on the other..............YUKYUK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.