1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the Secret to Gun Fit ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Seeking knowledge about why a gun fits - or not. Just received a 1981 Citori trap I bought online. When I mount the gun naturally - the center bead is off to the right edge of the front bead. I can get the beads aligned, but I have to pull the buttstock in closer to the center of my chest and drop it down just a tad. Doing this aligns the beads, but places more "barrel" between them - so now it will shoot a little higher.

Wondering why this gun is like this - but yet - 3 guns I have used before this have all fit me just fine (Rem 11-87, BT-99, Browning Special Sporting Clays). All 3 previous guns had standard stocks and the Citori trap has a monte-carlo stock. Could that be the reason why ? I thought LOP might have an influence - so I removed the pad and checked the gun mount - still the same problem.

Lastly, I like the gun alot and want to keep it - what can/should I do to make it fit me ? Bend stock, adjustable comb, adjustable pad plate, ???

Thanks for any advice, Brian

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Depends on the stock and you. Are you right or left handed. Look down the stock and the barrel and compare with your other guns. You should be able to see the difference. For the cheapest fix an adj comb and possibly an adj butt plate should allow you to get it set up like your other guns. Then find a god fitter to help set it up for you. Larry

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

For me the secret is closing my eyes and mounting the gun. If it comes up good fits well and when I open my eyes I am looking right down the middle of the barrel. It fits. If eye is not down barrel move it until you are and see if the comb feels good, if this feels good and your head sort of locked into the gun then the comb is where it needs to be. Then you only need a adj. butt plate to get the gun to fit. If comb does not feel good when eye is in the right place, where does the comb need to be, so that it does feel correct. Then you may need both the adj. comb and adj. butt plate. Good luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

An adjustable comb seems to be the best thing working for you to align up your eye with the barrel.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's far more to an individuals proper stock fit than adjustable combs and pad plates can take care of. Body shapes, hight of cheek bones, length of arms, width of shoulders, thickness of shoulder, height of the eye pupil above the comb are a few that must be considered. Not all stock makers or builders of aftermarket stocks take everything into consideration either. We learn from the beginning to FIT ourselves to about any stock and call that a fit because we can align the beads in a figure 8 position! That's just not true and it shows up in shooting consistency big time! Watch your buddies shoot when they have a new stock made? It's easy to tell the ones having a truly fitted stock to their proper measurements too, they are shooting consistent scores practically from the start! If he's struggling, it doesn't fit properly and he's attempting to fit himself to that stock also!

Hap

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This question cannot be answered in one short post. However, the answer is out there should you really want to know. I highly recommend Rollin Oswald's book:(click the title)

The Stock Fitter's Bible

7. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Call Dennis Devault 330-456-6070 He will explain why a factory mass produced stock doesn't fit.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I can tell if a gun fits after all the adjustments are made, it #1 shoots where you are looking and #2 it don't kick the shit out of your face. If you can get the gun to this point you can get the rest of it figured out.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before you spend a lot of money to make the gun fit, I suggest you shoot it first and see if it hits where you are looking. HMB

10. bluskyshooter

Thanks for your replies guys - much appreciated. Anyone know a gunfitter in northern Ct area ?
    Brian

11. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

For me it was a professional who knew how to fit the gun to me. I've never shot better

12. chuckwagoncook

chuckwagoncook TS Member

Tell me more about Dennis Devault, I need to get my gun fitted. Anyone else in Ohio area?

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 4 contact points of the shotgun..MUST be perfect.. The buttstock must fit correctly in your shoulder pocket..with the correct recoil pad..and the correct shape for YOU... The length of pull must be correct for your style and finger placement.. The comb must be comfortable..and put your eye directly over the rib.. and at the correct height for YOUR correct POI..for your style of shooting...and the forend must be comfortable in your hand for a correct grip on it..

Add to this a properly balanced gun for YOUR style of shooting.. and barrels that are alligned correctly for proper POI..

The correct choke for your sport.. plus a clean,crisp trigger than is consistent... EVERYTHING else is up to you.. Note there is no brand name attached to any of this.. your 311 Savage..or a $15,000 shotgun..will all do the same thing IF these are correct.. All Good.. Mike

14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Depends on how far you want to go. You could put an adj comb and butt pad on it and then go to one of Dennis' clinics. He'll have you shoot at some paper to check horizontal and vertical alignment. Horizontal needs to be dead center, but vertical is a matter of trying it out on straight aways. Up on the comb raises the pattern and vice versa. Tweak it for smokage. Don't worry about going too far, you can always come back.

My 3200 was canted so I tweaked the butt pad until that went away.

Length of the stock, I don't know about. I've just put a thinner pad on my gun so we'll see how it goes.

You could have Dennis do a custom fitting.

Check out my self-fitted 3200 at the Website Address above. Forgot how good it feels until I started shouldering it again as the snow melted. I just love it, but I have hours into it. Notice the nose to keep my hand from rising up. There's a groove for my finger tips and the grip is formed to keep my trigger finger pulling straight back. Palm swell and thumb groove makes it feel like a driving glove. Yeah, it's extreme.

The best part about fitting a gun is you get to test it out.

Good luck. Joe

15. bluskyshooter

Joe - Wow ! Thats some "serious" stock fitting you have going on there ! I can imagine, though, once (or IF) you get a modification like that dialed in just right .... it would be fun to shoot and give you alot of confidence. When you get it finished - do me a favor and paint, stain, color that bondo somehow. Brian

16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yeah, I'm getting lazy. There's a process out there that's used for putting camo on stocks. They can paint wood patterns on it too. Couple of hundred bucks. Was going to do it this winter, but the rasp on the comb got a little too close to the hole for weight (not in pics). Shipping tape keeps it from scratching. I don't care about looks. It's just a tool. Getting psyched for spring. Having a new load pressure tested...can't wait. Good luck with your project.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Off the top of my head.............have an adjustable comb installed and then give it some cast-off at the comb (move the comb away from your face).

John C. Saubak

18. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

i cant tell you -- why should you be able to shoot better than me----lol

lots of wise advise from some great shooters---i would second a pfs and then get a custom stock if you really want wood---

i got a custom fitted stock from perazzi---worked out awesome---i lost 40 pounds---does not work any more----pfs is what i have now and i love it---

19. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

It won't do much good to go to a stock-fitter if you aren't willing to spend the $$$ for a set of custom wood.

20. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Check out this website: www.gunfit.com Most combs are not properly lined up, we adjust ourselves to fit the comb instead of the comb fitting our face. Very hard to be consistant that way.

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.