1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the reason for a combo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UplandBri, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UplandBri

UplandBri TS Member

What

What's the point of a combo trap set. Single barrel and O/U that is.. Why not just shoot the O/U all the time?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

My single barrel has a different choke and a different POI than either barrel on my O/U set.

Of course I could shoot the O/U for everything and change those each time I shot a different discipline, but that would get old real fast.

Some people shoot an O/U for everything, most don't though.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I shoot a combo because I like fixed chokes. Also, the unsingle moves better than the O/U and is less affected by strong side winds, etc.

That being said, I wouldn't feel under equipped with a fast handling O/U with a set of good choke tubes, a good selectable trigger and an adjustable rib and comb. No center ribs would be a plus.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Many shooters(myself included) just find that a single barrel works better for us at singles. Balance,weight,etc all combine to make a better handling gun for those single targets. But since you just as obviously have to have 2 shots for doubles, then being able to use the same stock for the doubles game by just changing to a set of o/u barrels means no adjustments in how it fits, feels, etc which in turn means, hopefully, better scores at doubles. Hence, the popularity of combos.

Jim R

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Choices are: One gun does all the work - that requires an O/U or an autoloader to cover single and 2 shot games; then there's two guns for all - that would usually require a single barrel gun plus an O/U or autoloader for the 2 shot games; last is a combo and changing barrels on the same platform. The mantra for those that own combos is they like the fact that the gun, comb, trigger, et cetera is the same with either barrel and that helps handling it for any game. The combo sports prestige and really looks cool in the case and certainly may help those that don't want to deal with different guns for 1 or 2 shot games. I generally advise beginners to consider starting with an O/U or autoloader just so they can experiment with "other" games before mortgaging the corvette to shoot and experiment. Most that have selected an O/U that matches the bang-for-the-buck theory have remained happily with their one gun for all games.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

According to Giacomo.. No multiple barrels should be fit to anygun.. He said the wear on the locking bolt.. and pivots were much accelerated.. He'd much rather a seperate receiver.. properly fitted.. and just add or change trigger group and or butt stock for the longest life of all parts..

Having said that. If the dynamics of the guns fit YOUR style of shooting..YOU will find certain advantages or disadvantages with any set up.. For the most part.. I think shooters begin by looking around.. and feel under gunned if they don't shoot what the guy next to him shoots...

I spent alot of money finding out that for ME.. the TM-1/BT-99 was my ultimate trapgun.. shy of a Titanium Seitz.. I spent many dollars building a titanium Cole.. that at the end.. I recreated the TM-1.. LOL..

I think the biggest plug for a single barrel gun.. is.. IF you like really long barrels.. You can shoot a 35" SBT..and still have dynamics.. With a O/U.. for the most part.. the stock 34" O/U's are sluggish for me..

The 31.5" MX10 O/U Perazzi I built with 1.36KG barrels will do ANYTHING I need them to do.. BUT.. I gave up 2.5" of barrel.. I built a lightweight set of 34's.. and at 1.52KG..if it were my ONLY gun.. I would not feel handicapped at all.. Then again.. trying them all is fun.. You learn as you go..and hopefully hep someone make a correct decision early in their shooting career..

I hope this helps a little.. The short version.. is shoot plenty guns.. Find what works for you.. If you get a combo..look for an extra receiver so you can set one gun up for singles.. and one up for doubles.. When the extra money comes along.. All Good.. Mike

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Never sould figure that one out.....not that I wouldn't have bought one back in the day if I'd had the $$'s....

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

PBB, what you relayed about Giacomo's thoughts seem to make sense. The locking block and the barrel will have the right wear pattern if they are mated permanently. But having said that, you could get quite a few locking blocks replaced for the cost of a new receiver:)

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Agreeing with PBB and Avaldes points, I've seen combos where the single barrel is danged near wore out and the O/U barrels look nearly new. The wear factor has to have some sort of effect on mated surfaces.....Bob Dodd

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I'm glad you see Giacomo's side.. But you are leaving the $800 hingepins out of the equasion..

I'm not saying its a must.. but for many of our shooters here that shoot 20,000 plus rounds a year.. It would be my long term goal.. Rich just sold a receiver for $900.. and one for $1000.. Even if you used your forend complete and buttstock.. till a deal came up..you'd be ahead of the game.. Most Perazzi shooters keep a spare trigger.. For doubles.. I perfer a slightly shorter stock..so I'd be changing wood anyway..(or in my case.. a PFS)..

I'm not saying to do it now.. But when a bug bites to get another gun.. Save some money and get another receiver and wood.. Then.. you have a backup gun that a primary copy..(Alot of shooters shoot a K or P gun.. then have a Beretta 391 as a back up./???) Vastly different dynamics.. Better than nothing.. but a copy of the gun you regularly shoot seems to best idea to me.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.