1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the REAL difference between 99% and 100%

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682 Adam, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

First off ill state im from Australia so things are kinda a little different here, but i think this question is for all..

What is the diffeence between 99 and 100...apart from the obvious that you missed a target.

Ive been shooting trap for a bit over 5years and for the last 18mths have been a AA grade shooter, the trouble is i keep missing just one target here and there which usually kicks me out of any shoot offs and therefore any wins.

Its just REALLY REALLY frustrating.

I dont think its technique, maybe mental i dont know.

Any help greatly appreciated

Adam

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Adam

If you're consistently shooting 99's, and looking for advice here, you've got it backwards.

Most of the people on this website, myself included, dream about shooting that well, consistently.

You should be giving advice to us , not asking for it.

The 100's will come.

3. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

I should also make the point that we shoot most of our registered targets as double barrel, not single barrel like you guys in the states.

So 100s even 200s arnt all that rare. but it means you HAVE to shhot them to get anywhere near the money.

Even the singles i shot today all smoked except one lousy target.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Adam,

Are you shooting DTL or some variation of ATA where you get 2 shots?

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The difference is often your attitude. That little demon sitting on your shoulder always telling you "you can't do this" springs into action. Defeat him and you'll break that extra target!!

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I do not care how many shots you get - 99 is a fine score.

You may benefit from reading about and working on your mental game. Lanny Bassham has a number of books that will be helpful. Do a Google search.

Don Verna

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you're missing that target at the start or middle it's concentration. If it's on the last 20+ targets, it's pressure (that demon on your shoulder).

If it's the later, Frank Hoppe says to tell that little bastard to go to h4ll!

8. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I think the difference is called winning or losing.

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

1% On my way home, nobody remembers I was there or I am in the shoot off.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Practice with only one shot per target, learn to make it really count. Maybe you lose a little focus because you know if you miss you have another chance. When you start running consistent 98/99 single shot, I bet you will start shooting for the money in your "down under" version of the trap game.

Ducks

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's all about your comfort level.

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Practice with only one shot per target, learn to make it really count. Maybe you lose a little focus because you know if you miss you have another chance. When you start running consistent 98/99 single shot, I bet you will start shooting for the money in your "down under" version of the trap game.

Ducks

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Just an idea: tell us about the misses. Shore up against it until it goes away.

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't think or talk about the misses. When you drop a target, visualize shooting that target again and smoking it, then concentrate on the next target. When the round is over and you are asked what you broke, answer 99 proudly with your head up. Don't say "I dropped one" with your head down. Stay positive and the 100's will come, good luck. Harv

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

682Adam: It is all in your head, possibly a mis-mounted gun and you shot at the target anyway w/o taking the gun down and re-monting it and call for a target.

All mental.

I am also guilty of doing it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

A better question is what is the difference between a 99 and a 98. Anybody can drop a target, but it take a good shooter to then stay with it and shoot hang on to the 99, especially if the miss is early in the event.

17. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

Yes Timb99 we shoot DTL over here, we have 3 main games,

Double barrel(1 target two shots)which is what our grade is based on.
    Single barrel (1 target one shot)
    Points score (1 target 2 shots, 3 points for a first barrel hit, 2 points for a second barrel hit, no points for a miss obviously.

Joe
    The 2 misses i had yesterday, one in our double barrel, i can remember as clear as day, i moved from lane 5 around to lane 1, as the squad rytheme was pretty high when i got onto the pad it was my turn almost imediately, I loaded the gun, set my feat, mounted the gun and called for the target even before my head was on the stock.....so i know what happened with that particular shot..

The miss i had in the single barrel event....i havent the foggyest,i can remember crushing the empty before i tossed it in the bin but i cant remember the shot

Harv
    Your right there, when ever you ask anyone, myself included its ways missed "x" not hit "x"

Thanks for all the replys by the way, muchly appreciated

Cheers
    Adam

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Adam. Are your double barrel targets the same materials and size as in the States? How fast are they thrown and what angles.

19. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

Barry i think out targets are 110mm and of the same ingredients, our target maximum thrown distance is 46 meters at 43mph and the maximum angle is 22.5deg from centre

Cheers
    Adam

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A 50 yard target and a slightly wider angle than our old 3 hole target of (22 degrees), one degree wider at 22.5. Our's is 17.x degrees today and approx. 48 yards.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.