1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s the point of a COMBO set?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Honestly, I’d like some input about the rationale behind the Shotgun COMBO sets. I’ve learned that there is a single (usually longer) and a double barrel in a set and that they are weighted similarly so that the shooter is comfortable/familiar regardless of which barrel is in use. Why is this superior to a double O/U? A double O/U isn’t just similar, its identical. What am I missing when it comes to the COMBO?

Larry

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

you are shooting the same trigger and stock with a combo, i don't shoot singles or handicap as well with o/u. just a preference much like 71/2 or 8's. mark

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I believe what he is asking is "what is the advantage of a single barrel over a double?" The only thing that I know of is the slightly longer sight plane available with a single. Bill wheeler

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

completely different animal....you can shoot singles and caps just fine with the o/u, but you can do it better with a single.

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why the single is generally better than a double for singles? Just askin'. Bill

6. missed some

missed some TS Member

less wind resistance

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

they are usually choked differently, with the single barrel being tighter

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Singles don't block the bird as much as a double..Longer sight plane,Different weight distribution,Less wind resistance...SMOKIT

9. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I my Opinion which isn't worth 2 bits, The O/u in my case shoots a bit about 6" lower then my un single at 13 yards so on flat or wind blown singles I shoot it, Handi's and High singles shoot the un-single.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

What I want to know is why the OU is better than the single for doubles? That's the big mystery of a combo set.

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Its not..if you can reload fast.

12. Three Yellow Dogs

Three Yellow Dogs TS Member

IT is tricky to shoot doubles with a single!

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

There is no objective proof that one is better...they're just different. And different people do the same job well with different tools. If it weren't so, there would be only one trap gun for everybody.

As to what makes them different, moment of inertia is a big factor. An O/U, an autoloader, a top or bottom single and a true SBT that are as identical as possible in every respect will still handle differently due to different weight distribution and thus different MOI.

Consider a combo set. Obviously, the stock is the same. But if you weight the two setups the same, and even balance them at exactly the same point, the weight distribution will differ. Starting with the O/U, the weight of the bottom barrel is distributed evenly along the length of the top barrel. Eliminate that bottom barrel, but keep the overall weight the same, and where did that weight go? It went into the forearm and that portion of the overall weight that was under the barrel out in front of the leading hand is now situated between the hands. The result is a livelier muzzle, changing the dynamics of the move to the target. Clearly, the single barrel is different. Is it better? Some people think so, that's why they have combo sets.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Doesn't Leo shoot singles with the O/U barrels on his DT-10?

ss

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

Leo could shoot them with a sling shot and beat most of us.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, Leo shoots singles with his O/U..

17. skydiver41

skydiver41 Member

I have a Browning XT Trap Combo set. I shoot singles and doubles with the O/U. Why? For me, I prefer a lower point of impact for singles and doubles...in fact I prefer the same POI. I also use one of C&Hs chamber style mercury recoil reducers in the O/U barrel that I am not using. It adds 9 ozs extra weight and makes a huge difference in felt recoil. Then I can set up my unsingle for a higher POI for handicap...and I don't have to add washers to my adjustable comb to raise the POI for handicap like I did before when I was shooting my XT O/U for everything. The less changes I have to make to transition back and forth from singles/doubles to handicap the better. I once shot 100 singles then went to add 2 more washers for handicap only to find that they were already there. No wonder I was shooting over the top of those birds. KISS...keep it simple.

Mike Brown

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am not the same Leo that is mentioned above, but I went from three guns, single and two doubles, to a combo set, then to a single gun. Now all I shoot is a Beretta trap O/U.
    I cannot say I am greatly improved, but I used to do only well at one event at a time, now I seem to be more consistant when I change events. My life is simpler, and I do not miss hauling 3 guns around.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wind resistance? Really?

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

To be serious for a second, if you've spent a ton of money on a custom stock or an expensive recoil reducer you can appreciate using that stock and one receiver with different barrels for different purposes.

Yep Brian OU barrels catch more wind than a single, if you shoot in a strong crosswind you or at least I could feel the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why does leo shoot the top barrel on singles