1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the idea behind combos?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

I'm not sure I completely understand the idea behind combos. What is the advantage of having a single barrel and another set of double barrels (O/U) for the same gun?

Yea, I know....to shoot doubles. But what's wrong with using the doubles gun to just shoot singles??

Chuck

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Chuck one reason to shoot a single barrel for singles and handicap is that most are lighter weight and also a lot of people likes an Unsingle barrel with high ribs that way it is less heat waves and most unsingles will kick less than a top single barrel.

There isn't anything wrong with shooting a over and under for all the games but I like the smoother swing of a single barrel better myself plus most of the time we shoot 200 16 yard tagets a day instead of the 100 like most do in doubles.

Foghorn

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my 34 inch singles/handicap barrel and a shorter 32 inch barrel for doubles.

Pat Ireland

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Many people, myself included, find that a longer, 34 inch or more, single bbl allows a more precise sight picture, and shot placement for singles shooting. A combo then permits shooting doubles with the same stock so that all dimensions (LOP, comb setup, etc) are identical to the singles set up. Thus moving from one to the other only requires a simple bbl change. I would note that on many combos, the single bbl has a adjustable rib but the double bbl does not. In this case, adjust the stock so that the double bbls shoot where you want them, then use the single adjustable rib to set the single bbl shooting where you want. In this way, no changes are needed at all between the two sports other than switching bbls.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

More money.

Seriously, Chuck, there is nothing wrong with using your double for everything.

Many new to the sport would not recall this, but back in the day, many Perazzis (the dominant competition gun at the time) had mostly non-selective triggers as well as fixed chokes. The fixed chokes and inability to quickly select the firing order of the barrels, combined with the need for different chokes for different distance events (handicap), made things a real pain, equipment-wise. Perazzi not only got you for a whole extra barrel, you in many cases also needed a "top first" trigger assembly to make that extra top barrel go bang. Krieghoff added the twist of an adjustable rib on their un-single, and it was off to the races.

It just kind of took off from there...once people got used to that big price tag for the combo, some enterprising gun-makers started charging that much for an entire single-barrel gun. Now, the "grapevine" has succeeded in convincing many shooters they need that expensive single-barrel to break handicap targets...and so they've sold their Perazzi combos and traded up to the boutique guns, while reverting back to something else for doubles - thereby negating one of the supposed advantages of a combo in the first place (not having to adjust to two "different guns").

Progress!

Now, with all the selectable triggers, interchangeable chokes, and adjustable POIs, it probably makes less difference than ever. Assuming it's not defective in any way, and you can adjust it to suit you, just shoot what you got and get good with it.

6. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

There is nothing wrong with using an O/U for singles and handicap. If it works for you, god love you. However consider that if you are shooting in a strong cross wind the O/U barrels provide more sail area for the wind to affect (push against).With the single barrel the wind will tend to flow more easily around the barrel. In a strong cross wind, after you call for the target and go after it (a straight away) the wind can push your O/U gun barrel off of your track to the target. Personal experience here in Florida. My two cents worth.
    Mike Battista

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I like buzz-guns's post

8. redix

redix TS Member

Buzz-gun is right! But isn't more guns, more fun? For the manufacturers & marketers, that is.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Hey there just cool ok, I have my eye on the Cynergy Trap Combo. Not that I will be getting it anytime soon but still my new intrest. If you need it buy it. If you like it buy it. if you want it buy it, If you can afford it buy it. I have a 30" XT I use for everything. Just make sure it fits you.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Chuck, the bottom line on the mantra in favor of a combination set is that you are using the same stock, the same receiver, the feel of the same triggers, recoil pad, and LOP so you have more focus on shooting birds instead of which gun am I shooting. I personally think this is 90% rationalization for owning the more expensive gun and find reasons that are a step backwards to some. First, having a single barrel gun and a doubles gun gives the average Joe a backup to his singles/handicap gun. Secondly, I've never had a combo set and have never found it strange, weird, or uncomfortable to have two separate guns; one for single bird events and another two bird events. Third, I've shot some terrific scores when shooting my over/under at all events in times in the past and still see a number of great shooters doing that now. Last, if you want to have a single barrel that does all, look at the auto loaders and you can have 2 or 3 of them for the price of many O/U guns and a 1/2 dozen for the price of most combo sets. So, if you're comfortable, like many I know, shooting your doubles gun for all events, by all means stick with what works and you're confident in. If you ever want to venture into the two gun group, hey, check around for a good buy and give it a try....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Another vote for buzz-gun's comments! Great Points. Best Regards, Ed

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

And a fourth for buzz. If I had it to do all over again I'd keep the first trap gun I ever bought, a Superposed Broadway 32" O/U. Then I'd send the barrels down to Wilkinson to work his magic on, plus I'd have him do the triggers and install his choke tubes. While I was waiting I'd have a custom stock THAT FIT made. I'd end up with a nice handling, good shooting gun that wouldn't kick the snot out of me. Then I'd use it for everything.

Second choice would be to buy a good International Trap gun with a custom stock and use that for everything.

Third choice is what I am now considering. I have two new barrels for my gun, and am going to send them to Wilkinson. I also have two stocks, one high comb, the other low. The only reason the barrels are not down there now is I can't decide whether to have him set my O/U up for doubles, or to put choke tubes in so I can shoot the O/U for everything.

I'll also say that most combos aren't. They are so mismatched you may as well be shooting different guns. It took me three tries to get on that was perfect. Sticking with an O/U for everything certainly simplifies life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.