1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the drill with a release trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What

What is the step by step with a release trigger starting with a cleared and open gun like a BT99?

If you have pulled the trigger can you clear without firing?

What do you do if you have pulled the trigger and the range master calls "cease fire"?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

All you have to do in a case like that is, while holding the trigger back, open the top lever. The barrel will sag downward a little to a lot and even if the trigger were to "fire" when you subsequently release it, the firing pin couldn't touch the primer.

I've never shot a BT-99 with or without a release, but that's the drill with most guns. In fact, I've never had the trigger "fire" after moving the lever over.

Ed

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What happens after you close the action on a live round?

Does pulling the trigger "arm" the ammer, so to speak.

Is there a safety?

4. AveragEd

When you set a release, the hammer actually starts forward a minute amount and is then caught by another sear that holds onto it until you release the trigger. Many trap guns have no safety and neither does a release trigger.

They aren't dangerous, just different.

Ed

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

What

Bushmaster1313:

I'm not sure what terms to use for the description so lets say release triggers have two conditions. The first is normal or the 'pre-set' situation. That would be the case before a shooter pulls the trigger to 'set' it. The second of course, is 'set'. A set trigger is what you have when a shooter pulls the trigger but before he/she turns it loose to fire the shot.

Any release trigger can be 'set' then returned to the normal or 'pre-set' condition without firing. For break open guns like a BT-99, the process is essentially what Ed described - open the gun and the trigger returns to normal.

The same is true of pumps and semi-autos. Open the action and they return to the normal or pre-set condition without firing.

sissy

edited addition:

You ask, "What happens after you close the action on a live round?"
    Like a gun without a release, nothing actually happens when you close the action on a live round.

6. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

If it were me I would get a snap cap and pratic with that. I wish you good luck, I really love mine it is so much faster and relaxing to shoot. If you need a live round just load a primer no power or wad or shot and try that. Just remember to keep the muzzle pointed down range.
    Pete

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Nothing happens after you close the gun. With a pull trigger, if you pull the trigger it will fire. With a release trigger you have to both pull and release the trigger to fire.

When you pull back the trigger you hear a click as the release hook engages. The gun will now fire IF you release the trigger. The safety is "don't release the trigger". So, don't set the trigger until you are ready to fire.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

As Ed said, just move the lever over to the right and open the action. Then when ready to shoot close the action and pull the trigger again to set it and when ready to shoot, release it. The way I do it is shoulder the gun, pull the trigger to set it, call for the bird, and when you are ready release the trigger.

9. AveragEd

Tell you what - I'm posting some photos of an 870 release trigger so you can get a better idea of what happens.

The first photo is of two triggers - the top is a release and the bottom is a pull. You can see the release hook and the notch it engages.

[​IMG]

This is the release after being set. You can see the release sear holding the hammer from moving forward. As pressure is released on the trigger, the release hook slides upward, freeing the hammer.

[​IMG]

Any other questions, just ask. I applaud your concern about trying something new and different.

Ed

10. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Sissy
    I have a Timny trigger on a Remington 1100 and it has a small leaver on the left side were the 870 leaver is to release it for the slide to work the pump. I do agree with all you say with the exception of the last part. I find it almost impossible and even unsafe trying to pull the bolt back or release the leaver to release the pump in the case of a right handed shooter with the right hand trying to hold the trigger. I am not trying to start a argument just expressing an opinion.
    Pete

11. AveragEd

Pete, I've had to "unset" my Timney 870 and 1100 releases many times and when I push the release lever upward, I can stop holding the trigger back as it will no longer fire. Without doing anything else, I can reset the trigger and call for a target. Cycling the bolt or slide is not necessary.

Ed

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If you get really good at operating a release trigger you can open the gun with the release in the "set" position simply by using your thumb and moving the top lever to open the gun. I have done this dozens of times with Perazzis without incident. The tricky guns are Mod 12s if you are left handed, Ljutics, and especially a Seitz as their whole trigger group has to be pulled back. Earlier 1100 releases made by Lew Waltersdorf back in the 70s had a small lever in the trigger assembly to disengage the release. Hope all this advice from me and others is beneficial to you, but remember this; Some people NEVER, EVER can get the "hang" of a release trigger. I adapted quickly, 35 years ago. Larry Evans

13. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

AveragEd
    Yes I agree with you 100% I do the same thing with no problem. I was trying to say that while holding the gun with the right hand and then trying to reach over with the left hand and pull the bolt would be difficult and unsafe. The same is true with the 870,while trying to hold the gun with your right hand and trying to use the release to slide back would also be difficult and unsafe.
    Pete

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I shoot both a release and pull triggers. For what it's worth, a release is easier to get a quality sear disengagement than it is to fine tune a pull trigger. I shoot the same scores with a release as I do with my finely tuned pull triggers. Bad pull triggers are what brought about good releases in the beginning for trap shooting. People are more sensitive to a bad pull trigger than a decent release and think accordingly. There's great releases and pull triggers but the average trap shooter knows little about either it seems. I don't mean that to be derogatory with either choice but it seems that way to me.

Hap

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bushmaster,

Also be sure to keep the gun pointed safely down range at all times...just in case. NEVER turn around to ask for help until the pin is back in the grenade. After you've done this a half dozen times, it becomes a very simple matter. As another poster sais earlier, practice with it a bit using a snap cap 'til you get the hang of it.

BTW - you asked a very good question and we are glad you did.

Shoot well.

Jon Reitz

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

To reset a release trigger with a Beretta 391 a right handed shooter has to reach around with his left hand to pull the bolt back (halfway back is all that's needed. It is neither difficult nor dangereous. There are thousands of 391 shooters using release triggers.

However, if you have a physical handicap that prevents you from using your left arm in this manner, well, that's a different matter.

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have shot a release trigger for along time . WinModel-12 LJutic Alfermann Kolar Perazzi and now Silver Seitz . All can be canceled with alittle practice . Kolar and Perazzi being very easy to use as would be Brownings .

As with any gun just need to remember what your doing at all times .

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I am a long time release shooter and let me add after shooting at least 20 different guns with a release over 40 years they are not all the same. Some set easy and slow or positive and some set fast and quick. I mention this because when shooting different guns you have to adjust to the feel and timing you will always remember this the first time you are slow in setting a fast release and it goes off inadvertently I remember it well to this day it will sure screw up your day and concentration. I now always use the same sequence 1 mount the gun if correct I now set the trigger with a quick set to make sure the hook is seated well then focus mt eyes out over the trap for that hold point for that station call pull release bang big black cloud of smoke repeat until finished with the round. This works 90 some odd percent of the time. I do not want to be negative but there is a learning curve just look at the shots that hit the trap houses. The post to use snap caps and primers only at first is a wonderful idea I will remember to use with new release shooters.
    Hope this helps,
    Buddy

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I totally agree that a person needs to practice this technique until they are comfortable with it. The main thing to remember is to keep the gun pointed downrange. Last year I shot with a guy that had a release. He had at least 4 broken targets in a row and he then let the gun discharge. (Downrange of course). He told me after the round he routinely does this. He said at least I know I will not have an accidental discharge. Whatever works I guess. Ed

20. JES

JES Member

Do a lot of practice with a snapcap. I have shot a Ljutic, browning and perazzi with a release trigger set. At home I kept setting the trigger and un-setting until it was very comfortable. I have shot with people who let the trigger go and I asked why they were uncomfortable unsetting it on the line? Practice alot before taking a field. I love mine!!! Would not be shooting without one the "f" word was almost comical. Releasing the trigger was very natual for me. Jan Slough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.