1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the difference between 2& 3 hole targe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Phil, seventeen degrees right, seventeen degrees left is the rulebook minimum and as you say, the accepted norm.

Distance is 49/51 yards in still air over flat ground.

The speed that will get you there is 67+/68 ft/sec with a tilted chronograph or 42+/43 MPH with a radar gun used as recommended on the ATA website link.

Neil

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

so what is the angle difference between the 2 hole at 17R and 17L, and a three hole angle?

And while we are at it, can you make sure I don't get anymore darn near straight away targets?

AL

3. Neil Winston

Call three-hole targets, at a maximum, about a straightaway from posts one and five. Around 44/45 degrees total included angle, 22+ degrees right, 22+ degrees left.

Neil

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Must not a been any AA or Master Class Sporting shooters there. They throw those kind of targets all day long at most big events.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

watch a 2 hole hard right or left, then go to 3 hole. BIG DIFFERENCE in my opinion.

our club use to throw 3 hole targets off of westerns using lawrys. i'm sure that alot of clubs did, but man what a difference when we went to superstars, 2 hole, and eventually white flyers.

but as with all things, the newness wore off and now i can get just as lazy on the new set up as i did the old one.

brett d.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Call three-hole targets, at a maximum, about a straightaway from posts one and five. Around 44/45 degrees total included angle, 22+ degrees right, 22+ degrees left."

Neil

"at a maximum" Was that the stated rule or interpretation? My old rule book said the lefts and rights could be several degrees outside those parameters and still be a legal target? Without looking it up, I've forgotten the exact wording used. That addition prevented target managers turning down tougher angle targets. Those targets were much tougher set targets than the current rule. Hap

7. blooper

blooper TS Member

he must have meant minimium

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Neil...

Just to pull you chain a little. Tell me where the word "radar" is mentioned in the ATA rule book. I did a word search on the 2007 book and can't seem to find a reference to this method of setting targets.

TB

9. Neil Winston

Hap, I'm not talking about the rules, I'm talking about the trap. A three-hole target is as I have described it.

A legal target can be 10 degrees more just as you remember it.

Also, of course, clubs can set any width they want, as long as they are at least like two-holes, as described above. In the Central Zone, plan on shooting two-hole targets.

The new rule books have been sent to clubs. The word "maximum" in the context of doubles which was pointed out (here on TS.com!) to be an error has been fixed.

The field drawing is also now correct (I hope!)

Neil

10. Neil Winston

Maybe someday, Tom. Maybe not. It's not in the International rulebook, yet as Les G's column in T&F recently mentioned, someone apparently snuck one into Colorado Springs and worse yet, used it! It did my heart good.

Neil

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our local club that throws ATA targets has GMV Superstar Traps and it seems pretty easy to get the 2 hole setting. I also belong to a small club that has 2 Pat Traps with the wobble feature. This club only has Fun Shoots and League Shooting and tries for a 3 Hole setting but it is still a mystery to me how to set the micro-switches on the Pat Trap for angle other than "By guess and By Gosh".

12. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

You are looking at the wrong site go to the Pat Trap site.

13. CIM

CIM TS Member

You can call Pat Trap and they will send you a metal tab that you will put between your (2) limit switches.They make them all the way up tp (4) hole.

CIM

14. CIM

CIM TS Member

You can call Pat Trap and they will send you a metal tab that you will put between your (2) limit switches.They make them all the way up tp (4) hole.

CIM

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

White Flyer makes a 2 hole target. It will break with two or more holes. Federal makes a three hole target. It requires three or more holes to break. There are some target manufacturers that still make 4 hole targets.

Pat Ireland

16. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

We got some two and three hole targets in the last load. The manufacturer graciously took them back and filled the holes....What Great Service.

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Here is the method I've been taught to use to set proper angles on the pat trap for two hole targets,
    1. Set the machine to throw straight aways as observed from post 3. (as the target leaves the house not where it lands)
    2. Take a measurement from the main cylinder to the base frame and record that measurement. You now know where center is.
    3. Smear some light grease on the cylinder (the shinny part) and traverse the machine a couple of times and ensure the machine has traveled to the left stop a time or two. Set the machine back to the center position. Measure from the cylinder face to the wiped clean mark and take a reading. It should be 3 inches. Adjust the left limit switch until you get that reading.
    4. Once you have the 3 inch left limit set now traverse the machine to the right limit and stop the machine and measure the entire length of the exposed cylinder rod. It should be 6 inches, if not adjust the right limit switch. (Be sure you let the machine travel on its own and flip the manual/auto switch to man as soon as the machine starts to go back left. With a little practice it is easily done.)
    5. To set doubles you simply put the machine back to your center position set speed and elevation and make a minor finger adjustment and your all set.

I'm sure someone will tell me how wrong I am but this system is quick easy and works for us. Shoot um all! Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.