1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whats the deal with un singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I was thinking I need an MX 10 Perazzi but I saw where Phill Kinard and Ollie dog said you need to shoot one first.I shoot a MX 2000 over and under and thought I could see the bird better if I got an un single.
    Monty

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is to shoot it before you buy it. HMB

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have always shot top singles (Model 12's, TM-1's, TMX, etc) I bought a MX-2000 combo set with the unsingle and never know for sure if I was going to hit or miss the target ... Sometimes I would think I missed and smoke it and other times I thought I was all over it and missed it ... I never did adjust to the unsingle in probably 7500 shots so I sold it and bought an MX2000/8 with the top single and can honestly say I feel more comfortable shooting it and cannot tell any difference in recoil, besides knowijng when I am going to or not going to break the target ... You really have to try one and see what works for you, not everyone is the same ... I guess it all comes down to personal preference and I prefer a top single single barrel and obviously top and bottom on the over/under rather than a side by side ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have always shot top singles (Model 12's, TM-1's, TMX, etc) I bought a MX-2000 combo set with the unsingle and never know for sure if I was going to hit or miss the target ... Sometimes I would think I missed and smoke it and other times I thought I was all over it and missed it ... I never did adjust to the unsingle in probably 7500 shots so I sold it and bought an MX2000/8 with the top single and can honestly say I feel more comfortable shooting it and cannot tell any difference in recoil, besides knowijng when I am gooing to or not going to break the target ... You really have to try one and see what works for you, not everyone is the same ... I guess it all comes down to personal preference and I prefer a top single single barrel and obviously top and bottom on the over/under rather than a side by side ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I had the exact same story as WPT. On the other hand, I have shooting buddies that went from a top single to unsingles and are shooting better than ever. Best try before you buy.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Who is "Phill Kinard"???

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

How is shooting the bottom barrel of a O/U any different than shooting a unsingle?

If your supposed to look at the bird and not the shotgun when shooting why would rib height make a difference?

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

l-t-s, for any O/U with a rib lower than an MX-2005, the difference is there is a top barrel in the way. And that top barrel blocks your vision. I've owned both and shot both well. With the unsingle, I have a less obstructed view of the proceedings, I pick the bird up sooner and break it sooner.

Also, the unsingle moves through the air much better than my O/U barrels.

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Who is Ollie dog?

I shoot a unsingle 682 Gold E and honestly don't really see the difference between that and my old BT-100. I don't look at the rib or the barrel anyway. And if you get someone to tell you that a unsingle has lower recoil tell them I have ocean front property in Arizona for sale. I like my unsingle because I just think it looks BAD ASS.

Bryan

10. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

I just bought one today hoping that I can see the bird when I pull the trigger instead of having to cover the bird to grind it....and I also think its looks bad ass I have to say.....just find what you are comfortable with and keep crushing em.

Bryan

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

NSXER: That paintng messed up that beautiful picture of your gun. LOL Dave T.

12. johnboy

johnboy Member

I think a higher rib with the under single allows a more erect head which can reduce head lifting.

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Bryan, an unsingle rib is not necessary to accomplish this. The point of impact is the relationship between your eye and the front bead. You can have either a unsingle or top single with 100% POI.

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have all 3, top, mid, and unsingle. The all break targets exactly the same...Their recoil and balance characteristics are their only difference. I can switch between all of them and not have to reinvent the wheel. Being able to see better with an unsingle is not logical.

The unsingle rib is usually the same height as a top rib, barrel position has nothing to do with head position. Ultra high ribs are a different matter. The ribs on a trap special are all the same height, unless you have a pro-rib on 1 barrel.

15. build4u

build4u Member

I went to an MX2000RS and I keep my head very vertical. I see the target better with my eyes not looking up with my head tilted down. The recoil is pleasant I only have an adjustable pad, I never want anything that lets the gun move into my cheek parallel comb or not. I am 6ft1" 180. I had a nice HR90T that I shot well but with my MX I tell people I feel like I am cheating.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Calkidd, "who is olliedawg". Just simply a guy who sells plenty of guns. I believe Phil was referring to very high ribbed guns like Trap Specials-as was I. Plenty of shooters find they can't handle 'em which forces quite a few sales.

Back in the mid-80's when Frank Little shot a Perazzi TMX they were all the rage and everyone had to have one. We sold dozens and within a year or two over half came back on trades because few could shoot 'em. Some might recall when Dan Bonillas tried his namesake Perazzi DB-81 with the very high rib and we all should know where that experiment went.

That's olliedawg but who's that "Kinard" fellow-must be some other know nothing!!

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>Who is "Phill Kinard"??? </i>

Harland Camble's cousin.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just another know nothing wannabee!!

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Some people shoot off the rib and sme people shoot off the barrell. those who shoot off the end of the barrel have trouble with un-singles.

Bob

20. romie

romie Active Member

Oleolliedawg sorry about your spelling it would help if you shortened it to just dawg for some one like me who is stupid and doesn't spend the time to check it, but my question. Are you talking about the super high ribs are hard to shoot for some people and not the MX 10 RS.

A company had a used combo for sale and I asked could I shoot it to see if I like it and they said no.They saved me $10,000. I have just about figured I do not need one.It would have taken me a year to figure out If I could shoot it or not and with all the adjustments maybe two years.
    Monty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.