1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

What's the deal with paper hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

What

I received a case of Federal Paper Target Load shells in my last order. I didn't order them intentionally, but there they were - unnoticed until I went to remove the UPCs and load my range bag.

So, I used them last week. My scores were okay (one 24 and the others in the lower 20s). There wasn't a difference in my scoring, but these paper shells felt a little different in my BT99. I'm not sure if I'd buy them again on purpose. Still, I'm wondering why someone would prefer paper over the standard plastic shells.

Larry
  2. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

For the smell after you shoot them!!!!

Ron
  3. perazziuser

perazziuser Member

The recoil is less from a paper hull.

Jeff Holguin
  4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The paper shell was what most of the older shooters shot years ago. It was a special time in trapshooting history.

The recoil was a bit less in most cases, and to this day, on a cold morning hunting pheasant, after I shoot one shell, I hold it up to my nose and I am transported back in time. Federal paper shells and Hoppes #9 will always bring back good memories when prices were low, and when the sport had some great tournaments.

To this day, if I could afford them, Federal papers is all that I would shoot. For the shooters who use paper shells, hold a fired shell up to your nose and you will have a smile on your face with good memories.
    Steve Balistreri
  5. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Nostalgia - even the wonderful smell takes a guy back into dream land.

I can't give you a sound technological reason but lots of guys love shooting them - me included.
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

The smell of Red Dot in a paper hull is almost as good as smelling a good bourbon
  7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how you didn't notice them! $20-$30 more a flat!!!
  8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The Federal Paper lost its appeal when Federal stopped loading them w/ the 12C1 wad. In my experience, the current edition federal papers kick as much or possibly slightly more than a comparable Remington STS shell.
  9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

BigM-Perazzi

How did I miss the extra cost of papers? I ordered five flats of Federals - WITH the $20.00 rebates. The papers were mixed in with the regular plastic Gold ones I ordered. I think I got the $20 AND a good deal ($83 papers instead of $75 plastic - $20). I'm not ready to regularly drop $83.00 for a flat of papers, but they have been an interesting adventure.

Now that the rebates are done for this year I'll probably go back to Estates and Winchesters with the rebate. I can shoot almost anything as recoil isn't an issue with a 10 pound BT99.

Larry
  10. glenns

glenns Member

Agree with the guys that love the smell. Only thing better is sex.
  11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If you shoot a BT99 ( unless they changed the steel ) you will probably notice your chamber will not rust, or as bad with paper shells vs. plastic.

The papers have just enough wax to coat the chamber, besides I think they still are the best shells made. Downside...cost.

Regards.....Gerald
  12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The feel of the recoil seems less for whatever reason. The small is a wonderful added bonus. Like the man said.. Red dot in a paper. AHHHH Green dot isn't bad either and nor is 700x. Jeff
  13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

I have a bunch in the garage that I got at the last Grand in Ohio. Just can't bring myself to shoot them. You could buy the papers for the same price as any other shell at the Grand, in Ohio. Bill Malcolm
  14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bill, in Vandalia's day it was a choice I also made. Papers for the same price!

The Grand American and Federal Papers...like apple pie and ice cream...
  15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AAANDDDD ... they are a joy to reload!
  16. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

Larry,

Where did you get Papers for $83 per flat?

-Aaron
  17. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

Aaron

Recob's has them at $82.99 / CASE.

See link above. They have plenty of fair prices. A great feature is that they deliver to the St. Charles club on a regular basis. They'll be there this Saturday from 9am to 2pm. I'll place my order on Wednesday and pick it up Saturday morning.

Larry
  18. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

That is very convenient. I have to deal with shipping to Ca so that always adds a fair amount to the cost.
  19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd bet a dozen donuts the reason people "perceive" lower recoil is the muzzle velocity is lower than advertized.
  20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I was happy when plastic AA shells came out. Much longer lasting. consistency. Smell, give me the scent of a female.
    Clyde
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.