1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the cause of missing lefts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by duffybear69, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duffybear69

duffybear69 TS Member

I know when I miss a left of the causes is stoping, the other is looking right instead of left. one of those there it is swing pull stop miss.

I seem to be hitting the hard lefts and rights but missing some straitways.

2. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

Have you patterned your gun? I was complaining about missing lefts and one of the instructors in the trap shooting arena grabbed my gun and marched off to the pattern board. 4" to the right was where I was shooting. No wonder I couldn't hit left angle targets. And, I kept chipping the front of the right angles. Pattern your gun would be one suggestion. Steve

3. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

I shoot with two eyes. On lefts from Post 1 or 2 I follow it fine and have to fight the tendacy to "peak" over the top with my right (dominant) eye and shoot over the top. TLC

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

First of all if your a left hand shooter, going left would indicate to me that you are swingong the gun and taking the stock away from your face. If your a one eyed shooter, maybe you don't pick it up thye target as fast as the rights.
    Again, Patterning is absolutely important. Most people dont pattern their guns and wonder why they miss. I don't care who you are you will never see where your shooting, cant see the shot string...pattern you gun

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I miss the hard lefts for the same reason I miss the hard rights-----bead checking. Make a good move to the bird, look back at the bead, stop the gun and pull the trigger! "LOST"
    Dammit! I could be wealthy and famous if I'd stop doing that!

John C. Saubak

6. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Try holding a lower gun on the left targets. You could be blocking out the target with your barrel which will cause it to appear from below causing you to "chase" the target. The lower gunpoint will allow the target to remain above the barrel and you will see it as it leaves the trap.

JMHO

Jim C

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Way too many possible reasons to discuss without some close observations. Could be left eye taking over. Could be a mental thing. Could be, but not very likely, your barrel shoots to the right. Possibly by holding off to the left side of the house you move your gun such a small amount that you do not develop a smooth swing.

Check your POI at 13 yards. Find an empty field and shoot 100 from post one. Try moving your set up to no more than the left corner of the house. Make certain that you can feel the stock on your cheek before, during and after each shot.

Pat Ireland

8. The Cedar Dell

The Cedar Dell TS Member

I was having trouble hitting left targets and an older shooter at the club told me my stock was to short. I promptly told him it was perfect for me. He locked the trap on left targets and stood behind me and put his hand on the back of my head. I called for a target and when I fired without being able to pull my head back just a little, my thumb hit me right in the nose. My stock was to short. I put a slip-on recoil pad on the gun and shot it that way until it was stolen. Hope this helps. Hunter

9. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

1. Head on the gun.

2. Eye on the target.

3. Proper lead, it's impossible to miss.

Todd Bender

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reason for missing left angle trap targets