1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whats the best new trap gun to buy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shooter mont, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter mont

shooter mont TS Member

Hi Folks Im new to the site today . I was woundering what would be the best brand & model o/u trap gun to buy under $10,000.00 & apx what it would cost to buy thanks Mont

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

theres plenty of them around for under 10k, just take your time and pick out a nice one thats not worn out

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

ander743 has a nice American made Kolar Combo for under 10,000.00. $6,750.00 to be exact. pull and release parts with a case too.

Bob S

4. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

check mine @9500 in the for sale section. GaryL.

5. superump

superump TS Member

Really nice Ljutics out there under $10,000.00 and I love mine and there are a lot of them at our club and they can have hundreds of thousands of shells shot thru them and never stop firing or need repairs. INCREDIBLE TRAP GUN (my opinion).

6. superump

superump TS Member

And BTW - welcome to the site, great, friendly and helpfull people on this site

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The one YOU shoot the best.. With nothing more than a sign on name.. I don't have a clue if you are 5'6" 120 pounds or 6'8" and 295 pounds.. The shotgun you pick.. and the barrel lengths.. and pull.. and cast off would be vastly different as well as the barrel weights and total weight..

Where are you in the shooting world?? Just starting shooting.. comming back after a long break.. a field shooter for many years??? What have you shot so far??? Here to help.. All Good.. Mike

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

WOW, need some more info, like: have you been shooting trap very long, do you want an adjustable comb and butt pad, do you want fixed chokes or tubes, triggers (selective or not), ejectors or extractors? Wide ribs, narrow, tapered, adjustable? Grade of wood? Stainless, nickle, case colored, 200-400-600 grit finished blue? Sorry to sound like an a$$. But you can go from a Stoeger to a Kriegoff for under $10,000. Welcome aboard Mont, just tell us what your looking for.

Wayne

9. shooter mont

shooter mont TS Member

Folks thanks for you your veiws. im looking for some info if I go to up grade in the near future to a brand new combo gun, just looking for some of your veiws on brands & models. Im in canada so I would have to buy here I would think .im about 177 ibs 5ft10 Ive been shooting this past year & dearly love it Im using a browning o/u xt 30in with adjustable comb nice gun so I would want the same options plus more in a new gun . all the best Monty

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Monty, bottom line is you will not find a better shooting gun than the one you already have. That gun will outlast you!!! Tweak it, to get it to fit and spend the rest on some "shooting lessons", targets, ammo and your good to go. Most shooters think if they spend more money on a gun it will buy them some targets. They will always be looking for that majical gun. Most never find it, I wonder why!!! Whatever you do keep that Browning as you may very well go back to it!!! Best of Luck on your jouney!!! Break-em all. Jeff

11. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I have to agree with Jeff. Unless you are having problems with shooting your current xt, put more time and money into shooting what you have and you'll be happy. I was in the same boat, I just started shooting myself this year, a $350 Benelli pump with zero disappointments, but like you wanted to upgrade to something a little more suited to the target games. I have a friend that had a nice Browning citori pigeon plus, he let me shoot it for a while, awesome gun. I got it for $1400, no turnin back now. Have fun shooting, and shoot'em all if you can before you decide. Bret

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Any money you spend to upgrade from a Browning XT you are spending to impress somebody, not to get a better gun. Maybe add a Ljutic just for the wonderful trigger. Then your grandchildren can shoot them both. Martinpicker

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Give me a break! You are basically saying an XT is the best gun made.
    Sounds like someone's elevator don't quite go to the top. LOL

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I'm of the mindset that I do not tell another man how to spend his money. If he has several thousand dollars to spend, let him spend it on a new gun, irregardless if his intetion is to find a better gun that what he has or just to impress somebody....

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Guns move and point differently. They recoil differently. Stay with your XT for now, and try to shoot other guns to determine what you like. Once the better shooters in your club get to know you, most will let you try out their guns.

ALWAYS use factory ammo for gun testing. Until you have proven yourself, some of us will not want you shooting reloads in our high priced toys. It shows respect for their property and you will win their respect in turn.

Whatever you buy, beware of the one great round you shoot with a borrowed gun. If you can, keep the XT but do not give up on the new gun until you have fired over 2000 rounds. It will likely take you 2000 rounds to shoot it as well as the gun you shoot now. Don't ask me how I know this.

Don Verna

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I'm with Don. Goose2 is clearly right that the Browning XT might not be the best gun you can buy, but I would argue that it might be the best *entry-level* trap gun you can buy.

My last three guns have been Perazzi's, but I've owned 5 XT's and have no problem recommending them to new shooters. Many shooters keep shooting them and never go upmarket. You'd have a hard time convincing me that spending five or ten times the price for a Perazzi or Krieghoff combo buys you five times the gun. No doubt they're better guns, but not 5 times better. XT's are purpose built trap guns, they hold up for years, and they keep their resale value pretty well. They're a little nose-heavy, but you can shoot some good scores with them without taking out a second mortgage on your house. You don't need an F-16 to learn how to fly.

17. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I went thru this a year ago. I shot trap at my club with my Browning A5 a couple of times and really liked the game, and rather than pelt the guy to the right of me I decided to buy a new gun.

I hadn't heard about TS.Com yet so I was looking at mostly new guns.

I was not willing to spend $5-10,000 or more on a gun I might not shoot that much and have to resell if I didn't like the sport after a while. It is not that easy to sell a high end gun unless you are willing to take a substantial loss on it.

After researching and talking to experienced shooters, I narrowed it down to 2 guns, either a Browning XT, or a Beretta 682 or whatever the current iteration of that gun is called. I did not consider the single barrel guns as you can't shoot doubles with them. I was lucky to be able to look at both and shoulder them both at my club. Both are very reliable and good looking guns and maintain their values well.

I decided against the Berettas for several reasons. 1. the Berettas don't fit me very well and they point like a club (IMHO) 2. I don't like the safety/barrel selector, it is very easy to inadvertantly switch barrels with it. 3.the Beretta is more expensive and there are fewer places to buy one so less competition in the market place.

The Browning fit me nearly perfectly, I got one from Smiley's Sports Shop (internet) for $1950+$30S&H. The gun works very well for me I have fired about 2,000 rounds thru it over the last 8 months and am finally getting used to it, my scores improve every time I go. If for some reason I decide to get out of trap shooting, I'm sure I will be able to set at least $1700+ out of the gun, as I take very good care of my guns. Even at $1950 this gun was 3X more expensive than any other gun I've owned in my life.

I'd say if you are serious about getting into the sport either one of these 2 guns would be a good way to go. You could also try a Remington 870TC for about half what these guns cost, and then if you don't like the sport you'll have something that would be easier to sell.

The difficulty of selling anything and especially guns goes up exponentally each time the price goes past $1,000, $5,000, $10,000. The reason why is the market for those items contracts exponentally at each one of those price points. It all comes down to the motivated buyer's ability to muster the cash, and as we all know that's a problem for many people right now.

It's just the way things go.

I hope this helps you decide on a gun.

Randy

18. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Take a look at Mike May's average's he shoots a xt combo. Also he shoots no mater what the weather is! He is from Wisc. Regards, Bill

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would get a really good trigger job on the Browning.. and a visit with a stock fitter just to see just how good the gun really fits.. Then.. just enjoy.. Shoot other guns when you can.. and in my book.. after over 10,000 rounds..I'd restart this conversation.. I think you're fine for now..

Shoot some 16's.. capps and doubles for a full feeling of what you'll need to do.. on doubles.. if you can't quickly catch the 2nd target.. the gun is to heavy.. You'll learn more about what YOU need in a trapgun..than any of us can tell you..

I will say however... the Perazzi dominates the winners circle around the world in trap.. There must be a reason.. You can get a good used Perazzi in the under $5000 price point if you shop around.. For $6000..it will be in excellent condition.. for $7000 it might be like new..

If you ever get to New Orleans.. E-mail me directly..and we'll hook up..All Good.. Mike

20. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Blaser super trap all the way. Best trigger, combo gun, all parts interchange with other Blasers. Awesome weights system for both barrels and in the stock. German quality with a 10 year warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best new trap gun
best new trap guns
best trap gun
best trap gun for 5000
best trap gun in world

best trap gun under 5000

best trap shotgun under 5000
resetarettrapgun