1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the Best all-around 12G Load ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lineman41, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lineman41

lineman41 TS Member

Hey Guy's , I don't reload shotgun shells and I have been shooting 1 oz #8 Estates and winchester shell for singles and handicap. What is the best shells to shoot if not these ? Should I be shooting different loads for handicap ? All opions will be appreciated . Thanks Brett

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shells don't matter that much, If you want top dollar buy Federal papers,Nitros or Superhandicaps.

Your current pick is also fine.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

What's your handicap yardage?

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A good 1200fps 1 oz load is nearly ideal for everything except long distance 'caps (beyond 23 yard line). Then a good 3dr 1 1/8 oz load is needed for maximum effectiveness.

ss

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Anything built around an 1145fps, 1.125-7.5 loading.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

3 Dram, Red AA's, in #8's.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What pheasantmaster said.

That load will break any ATA target.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This is like asking what is the best kind of motor oil, or what octane should you run. It is a matter of preference.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would also take "pheasantmaster's" advice. He has the numbers to back it up.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Me too, I know several serious long yardage folks that shoot nothing but factory shells, 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s at give or take 1145 fps.......breakemall

11. lineman41

lineman41 TS Member

Thanks for the info guy's ! Brett

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I would have to agree with vance and hines. That is a real nice reload. Jeff

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Not a legal load for trap,but my favorite all around 12ga loading is the old pigeon load. 3 1/4-1-- 1/4 at 1310fps.

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Vance and Hines has got it right, except I often use #8's!! I also use Green Dot for a nice 1 oz. load using Gold Medal plastic hulls, Federal Primers, a 12SO clone, #8s and 19.5 grains of Green Dot.

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

V&H I've gone from Green Dot to American Select. Some of the argument being that the single base powders produce less carbon fouling, and thus, are cleaner burning. (second hand info from brother Phil) American Select has sufficient bulk to fill the Remington STS hull under Spolar's fine wad and produces wonderful crimps with 1 1/8oz loads, and meters very consistently with P/W's bushings. The price is a little higher than Green Dot, but then, it chronographs the same with ~1/2 gr less powder per load, not to mention cost is significantly less than Hodgen's offerings of the same ilk.

Of course, because of significantly lower pressure, there's much less recoil.....grin

best...mike

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I shoot 19.3 (can go to 19.5 but I load less in case ever challenged)of regular Clays, winchester 209 primer,1 1/8 (less a couple of pellets)ounce of top gun shot which is softer(heavier per BB), and windjammer wad in AA old red hulls. I shoot it from all yardage.

17. Buck72

Buck72 Member

Im going to load some long shot loads for tomorrow nights shoot and what do you think, 27g of 800x 1 1/4oz of #6 shot in fed gold medal hull with win 209 primer.Im only going to load one box because they are only going to be for the 60 to 90yd distances.

18. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like a 1oz load with about 1200 pfs. It is what I use for all my clay shooting.

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Vance n Hines, I would not seek out another load. I have used the very one that you specify and have done so since the early 90's. I use a CCI209M for 16yd verification with 8.5's. I have not had a residue problem in the barrel when using a Fed209A. Are you putting much of a crimp on the hulls?

20. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Vance, I'm no fan of the Gold Medal hull with the Windjammer wad because of the volume of that hull, not to mention it's somewhat limited longevity, compared to STS. (at least in my hands) Dixsie Spolar expressed the same volume reservation to me since their great Spolar Gold is specifically designed for STS style tapered hulls.

Most competitive back fence shooters recommend 7 1/2 magnum shot over #8's and that's all I shoot for everything, excepting sporting clays. Keeping in mind, for those folks, 1 target in 1,000 is significant.

I used, and liked Clays excepting the significantly higher price, and availability. It's nearly $30 more / 8 lb jug, last time I checked. So far as using Clay Dot as a substitute, don't even consider it. Look up filthy in the dictionary and you'll find a photo of the stuff...grin

best...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.