1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what's th secret tokeep you head on the stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by romie, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I'll pay big money if it works.
    Monty

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I wish I knew the answer to that one myself! I don't even realize that I'm doing it until someone tells me.

ec90t

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

a gun that fits

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bring the gun to you'r cheek------->don't< bring you'r cheek to the gun.

You can deposit the money directly into my bank account Monty.

John C. Saubak

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

To keep your head on the stock, you must first pull it outa yer azz. Jake

PS. Gunfit can have something to do with it also.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

You could try sewing some velcro to you cheek. That would probably work fairly well.

8. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

some fishing line and two hooks , use your imagination

9. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

duct tape or bunge cords

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Lower your butt pad to bring the comb up higher. Shoot softer shells so you stop avoiding the recoil. Go see Dennis Default for a fitting.

11. Straight99

Straight99 Member

A had the same problem for years until I had a stock fitted for me. Now that my stock fits no more head lifting. And no more flinch. I can shoot Nitro 27 with no felt recoil. It's all in stock fit.

12. preacherman

preacherman TS Member

Put a $100.00 bill between your cheek and stock.

13. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

24str..........How can I follow a piece to the groung? I am getting all "Dirt Balls" or dark clouds.....Thank you for your help...........

14. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Whoops.........that is GROUND not groung !!!!!!!

15. debateableone

debateableone TS Member

soft comb on your stock, some type of mechanical recoil reduction system, like those made by Soft touch, Dawson enterprises- stock lock, Sietz recoil reduction sytem, etc....
    deaden the noise from the wood to the cheek bone and the recoil to the shoulder. It will work. Now you know the Secret.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... super glue has been mentioned, duct tape and bungee chords as well ... dang dang dang ya'll took my suggestions!

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The advice about following a chunk to the ground is what works for me. WHEN... I remember to do it. The other thing and it sounds simple is just to finish the shot. Stay in the gun and watch the target break over your gun barrel. I suspect that one of the biggest reasons that anybody lifts the head is a slightly slow pull. It's funny, Many people think that voice pulls provide on time pulls every time. It's just not so. When that pull is just a tiny bit slow the eye will jump from where it's looking for the target to where you normally break the target. It's very hard to explain but I think the at a sub- consoius level the brain thinks the target left the trap house and that the eye's somehow missed seeing it. So... The eye looks and the head follows and then that just off time target is seen and shot but it is done so with the eye rather then the eye in conjunction with the barrel bead. The barrel kills the target not the eye. This is why it is crucial to stay in the gun until the target passes your muzzel. I can only say one thing for certain. For me .. when I lift my head it's usally because the target is slow. Lifting the head has got to be the number one reason anybody misses a target and lots of guys with custom stocks and gazzillion dollar shotguns still lift the head so it's not a gun fit thing once that has been solved through a stock that fits just right. It's very true that a stock that hurts you is going to cause you to raise the head. One more thing, Your brain knows that an explosion is about to take place about 6 inches from the end of your nose. It's a natural reaction for your brain to see that as a bad thing and want to get the rest of the body a little further away. LOL Jeff

18. C H S

C H S TS Member

Nora Ross videotaped me at her school and showed me that the faster I move off my hold point and to the target, the more likely I am to relax my cheek pressure on the stock. She did a drill with me where I called for the bird, but was not allowed to move my gun until she said "GO". This got the bird clear of my barrel where I could see it clearly and got me over the rush of seeing the bird break out of the house. That has helped me more than any other tip I ever got. I still move to the target as fast as before, I just wait a little longer before I do it. I just wish I could get her to stand behind me every time I shoot.

Andy

19. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Do this. Take all the pins from state shoots and the Grand, put them and any other shooting related pins you have, on your hat. The added weight will "PIN" your head to the stock. I have been saveing this for my trapshooting clinic but it is yours for nothing..............Roger

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Roger IL, that certainly would give new meaning to the word, "pin-heads" huh? LMAO :) Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.