1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whats more important eye or barrel movement?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lkn4rocks, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

hill topper .... From one ol' fart to another, when they go to remove the cataracts and replace them with a new lens, request of your surgeon when he is making that educated guess on the power of the lens, to round that powder of the replacement lens up to the farsighted side of the scale not down to the near sighted side. As a trap shooter you want to be far sighted by choice not near sighted and more than likely you will be required to wear glasses anyway for your near vision.

Just something that will help you in the future, please try to remember this little tip when that time comes.

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Earl, Earl, Earl....

I remember that you took a Frank Hoppe clinic some time back. And as I remember, you did pretty well for awhile after that. Did he say anything about looking down the rib or moving either the gun OR your eyes around just prior to calling for and shooting a target? You should see the gun but not be looking exactly at it. I don't know because I have not had his clinic but I have had a couple others and that is one of the first no no's they discuss. You don't move the gun around till you have your eyes locked on the target. And you don't move your eyes around after getting your soft focus spot picked out for whatever station you are on. If you move your eyes around or blink just prior to calling for a target, they will not be focused. It takes a couple seconds. While that does not sound like too much time, in the lifespan of a trap target in the air, it is a lifetime.

Those folks that are moving the gun in the wrong direction are anticipating. They are anticipating the target that they fear and are attempting to get a head start on it. Which MIGHT work if the target comes out there. BUT, targets being targets, and they DO have ESP, almost never come out where you are anticipating them to come out at. The sneaky little devils come out the opposite direction, then the shooter has to make an out of control panic move to get to where it is. The next thing they will hear after touching off the shell is LOST.

You are overthinking the game. Lock your eyes on the target, let the gun move to it, and shoot it. Your brain can only think of one thing at a time but your subconscious can think of the thousand things that go into making the shot. Let the brain do it's job and the gun will do it's job. Then those pesky scorekeepers will be making more slash marks and fewer goose eggs on your score sheet.

Reread the notes that you took at Franks clinic. I am assuming that you did take notes. And try a Harlan Campbell clinic. I do know what he teaches and you will understand the theory of shooting after it is all over. And take notes. There is way too much information in any of these clinics to just remember.

Good luck, John

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Maybe its my eye, holding the gun steady is no problem before the call but my right eye is flickering. My right eye goes goofy and wants to jump all over the place. Perrhaps the cataract operation had someting to do with this. I just had another operation to remove material from my lense. When my dominant eye is looking down the rib i have to close my left eye to keep the dominant eye from going goofy and bouncing all over the place. My scores are all over the place and its making me crazy. (Daro Handy statement.) Never look for the target until it clears the barrel-rib area. It is super important that you hold the eye dead STILL down the rib-bead-zone path area until the target appears above the rib to accomplish this feat.The problem is my eye won't hold dead still.Futhermore all the great shooters have learned to disconnect the eye from the mouth-call,whether they know it or not.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Smsnyder, Qiut fighting the eye thing, just close one and keep it closed. I am a one eyed shooter and can't shoot with both eyes open. I quit trying to shoot with both eyes open and scores improved immediately. Bill

5. smsnyder

bill, that easy to say but i have been using both eyes all my life. perhaps i will try. thanks

6. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

smsnyder, Your dominate eye may be changing to the other, that may be why you have to close the left eye. Go do those little tests to see what your dominate eye is. Sometimes after (or before) surgery, eye dominance may shift. I unfortunately know a lot about it and cataracts. I was shocked to find my left eye had become dominate. I figured it out after the third car I pulled out in front of. AJ

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Then you may want to try a clinic with Nora. She is a one eyed shooter. John

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

You may also want a secound opinion on your eyes from another MD. AJ

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

All of this talk so far and nothing about gun hold. If you are having eye problems, of any sort your gun better be on the lid of the house. In fact it is just the way I am teaching these days. I think target vision is critical. If you do not get a good look at that target, loss is what you will hear. Most longtime shooters have no problem making a move from the lid of the house. Get the gun down and get a good look.

GS

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is the eye with the recent problems youe dominate eye? Maybe your having some eye dominance issues. If you really know that you shoot better one way or another, go with what You feel and shoot better with.

11. smsnyder

thanks to everyone .Ikn4rocks and Otnot thanks, i took your advice and broke my highest handicap score since 1992 today. I lost my yardage group by 1 target and fifth overall. I also used a little wider Rib on my gun this time. It helped keep my eye and barrel from moving before target left house. I did not let target control me this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.