1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spritc, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spritc

spritc Active Member

I received a Win. model 12 16 gauge in a trade. It has a 28" barrel with a solid rib and full choke. It was made in 1924 and has a 2.5" chamber. The metal has some blue wear, but the wood is excellent. Mechanically it is perfect. I would rate it in antique excellent condition. What is it worth?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

$600-700 if you can find a buyer. If not because of the short chambers you could be looking at buyers in the 450 range.
    Joe

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Thanks Joe, I've already been offered more than that for it. I was told it is a bit of a rarity with the solid rib for its age. Most good gunsmiths can open the chamber to 2.75" for under $100 if that is an issue, however I've been told many guys shoot 2.75" rounds through them without any issues to the gun, but the hulls are torn-up after being fired from a short chamber. Since it is a hunting gun, I assume it hasn't been shot that much.

Thanks,
    Steve

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If the gun were in 98+ % you could expect the gun to be in the $2000 range I was basing it on your condition discription. It is rare not extremly and I would not change the chambers. A real collector wants an all origional gun.

Mod12's have a wide range of values I can buy a few nice field guns locally for $275-400 for 12 ga plain barrels.
    Joe

5. spritc

spritc Active Member

Joe, certainly not arguing with you as I can buy 12 gauge field models all day long for those prices as well, but this 16 gauge is a different animal. I am truly interested in knowing what this configuration and condition is worth because I would like to sell it. I have several 12 gauges and a pristine 20 gauge, but I've never been into 16 gauge guns.

Thanks again,
    Steve

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The Blue Book shows that it actually came with a chamber of 2 9/16 inches (up to serial #464,565 in 16 & 20 gauge).

At 98% it lists for $735 ~ $ 785 with the solid rib.

The solid rib adds 40 ~ 50% to these prices...

100% - $700

98% - $525

95% - $375

90% - $350

This is for the 'plane Jane' shotgun - other unique attributes can add (or subtract) significantly from these numbers.

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.