1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's it worth... Dodge Diesel

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by deoncoxj, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deoncoxj

deoncoxj TS Member

What

I would like your opinion on a Dodge Cummins Diesel motor. Could you give me what you like about the motor, and what problems you might have encountered with them. This is a 24 valve engine, from a wrecked truck. What might it be worth? It has 390,000 miles on the motor.
    Thanks, Perry

2. philk

philk Member

Are you buying or selling ?

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

very little. Core price is 800 if turbo is good. That kind of mileage nobody even wants them for conversions. You can buy low milage complete units for 25-35 hundred.

4. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

I guess core value. One never knows what fuel pressure was before wreck and low pressure can damage the injector pump.

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

You can buy a whole truck for $2500-5000 from that vintage check Auto Trader.com weekly they are there frequesntly. The 12VV ones are most desirable for conversions 89-96, nobody uses the 24VV ones as they are not "Mechanical" engines they are computerized, you want the mechanical reliability. If you want a computerized one then might as well go to a late model engine like 01 or newer. Personally If I was looking at a computerized engine I'd be looking for an 07 or later they are CRD and much more powerful and can be hopped up by just changing the chip. About $5K for one of those with less than 100K miles, and 450HP is no problem at all. All of these engines are as good as it gets but the 97-00 versions have the most problems with electronic crap. New ones 01+ are good.

With that much mileage on it however I personally wouldn't touch it. Maybe $500 for parts. A New long block for that motor is $5K on Ebay, but you can do a "freshen up rebuild" for about $1200 as long as nothing is broke, kits available on Ebay from reputable sources.. There are plenty of these engines available on Craigs list and ebay, But you really need to do your homework so you know exactly what you are looking at. Just about any of them that look clean and have some way of documenting the mileage less than 200K would be OK, but really it's Caveat Emptor. You are really better off buying a whole truck so you can better assess the condition of the engine which usually is about the same as the looks of the truck, paint condition excluded. DO NOT TOUCH A MARINE ENGINE, they get worked hard and put away wet.

There are alot of little nuances with these engines and you need to study up before you jump in.

I do know something about these engines as I have a 95 Dodge 1 ton, and I am building a Jeep Scrambler from scratch with a 4BT in it.

Randy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just about alive!!!

6. team henges

team henges TS Member

The cummins is the best diesel ever built

7. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

I agree that these motors are the best ever put in a pickup, period. I do however prefer my CAT motors when it gets heavy. With 390k on a motor that is technically a throwaway I wouldn't buy(throwaway means not wet-sleeved to me). these are great motors but are still a 250k motor that anything over is gravy.spend a little more money and get a lower mileage motor.

Andrew

8. deoncoxj

deoncoxj TS Member

Thank you for your information. I do appreciate it.
    Perry

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Perry,

Check out EBay.com, or Racing Junk.com they will have what you are looking for sooner or later and it will be a good price also .. WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

What's the going price for scrap? Might be worth a core at the best. Who knows what's wrong with it. Did you hear it run? Did you drive it? If not, it's an unknown and not worth much at 390K. I'd rather start with something known to be good and with WAY less mileage.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Our son has a 1990 4x2 Ram 250 (2500?) with a stock, unmolested Cummins diesel and a five-speed (creeper low) transmission in it that he's selling. It has 330,000 miles on it but the cab and chassis had a frame-off restoration about five years ago and the engine was rebuilt something like 50,000 miles ago. It has a stake body on it that has some patchable rust issues in the floor above the rear wheels but the rest of the truck is nice, especially for its age and mileage, and it runs great. I don't know exactly what he's looking to get out of it but it's in south-central Pennsylvania, in case that's close enough to you to warrant investigating. His telephone number is (717) 991-4609.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.