1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's inside?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kent, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent

Kent TS Member

What

For several years I have been seeing these heavy trucks hauling these unknown containers up Interstate 57 in Southern Illinois. What the heck are they carrying in this odd shaped vessel?

I was stopped due to road construction today and finally got a picture of one.
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. gunsmoke77802

gunsmoke77802 TS Member

I bet it's a windmill motor

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Wind turbine heads. Keep'em up there please.

4. bill2

bill2 Member

Wind turbines/generators? Bill2

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are specially constructed containers carrying politicians. They are designed to keep the BS from leaching out until they are intentionally opened. :)

6. Kent

Kent TS Member

Wind turbins!!!! I also see hellish long prop blades all the time on the highway. Maybe 100 foot plus long.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Head (nacelle) section for a wind turbine generator. Inside is a probably a speed-increasing gearbox, propeller pitch adjusting drives, a generator (approximately 1,500 to 2,000 kilowatt output), and some electrical controls and instrumentation.

Possibly an AC to DC converter, and a DC back to AC inverter.

I'm not up to speed on all the latest and greatest stuff regarding these, but that's probably what's inside.

8. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, it is hellish big and heavy. Seven visible axles at 34,000 pounds/double axle, 42,500pounds/tridem axle, and 20,000 pounds/steering axle gives a minimum road weight of 96,500 pounds for the rig. Judging by the flags on the drop-belly trailer, it is overwidth, and must be very nearly maxed out for height, as well. With an allowable GVW of 80,000 pounds on interstate and other designated Federal aid highways, this unit has an overwidth permit and an overweight permit to be running on an interstate highway.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thats a storage tank for human waste being taken to Sparta for the Grand and after it recycles it they will: send it to Iraq to feed all of the homeless and desparate refugees ... It was not Obama's idea but who cares them people have to eat too you know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. biff

biff Active Member

Hey Bill, Are you going to make to Sparta this year? A great place to shoot, hope to see you there. They have a great Walmart there, time to boost your stocks! Biff

11. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

what do you think?

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The turbine blades in the lower right corner of the photo are a dead giveaway.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I still say they look like something out of War of the Worlds.

Every time I see one I fully expect to hear a deafening "Ulllla" and get zapped with the heat ray.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

EE, I still want someone to explain why a square root of a negative 1 equals i thing, and how it relates to watts and vars and phase angle and reactance and all that stuff.

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

This piece of equipment is called a "nacell" and the one poster had it correct. Depending on the brand and size it will weigh between 125000 and 174000 lbs. They are very heavy. As a general rule they are mounted ontop of an 80 meter tower some go to 87 meters and the blades are mounted to a rotor then that is connected to the front of the nacell. I find them intrigueing. I have helped build over 310 of them on four different windfarms. They are big and take up the road when they are shipped. The three lengths of blades I have helped to build are 124 ft long, 132 ft long and 140's. Amazingly the 124's were at 17000 each and the 140's were 13000 each. They have a metal fram up front and are made of a composite epoxy material. The size of the nacell on the truck picture should be able to when operating at 100% supply 2500 homes for electrical juice. They turn in the wind starting at 5 mph and will continue to accelorate with a 17mph blow. They don't go any faster though the machines will turn when the winds are blowing close to 50 mph.The blades are pitched to keep them from running away to fast. They then go into emergency shutdown and will just stop until the wind dies down to managable speeds again. The ends of the blades will be slicing thru the air almost 200 mph. I asked a fiberglass tech what the biggest problems to fix were and she told me "Bulletholes" I know that lightening gives them a problem, one farm when we were almost done had a bad storm go thru and 19 of 120 of them were hit by lightening. they have to be checked and usually have to be repaired on one blade tip when that happens. I can't wait to go to another job we have no work in our area and unemployment only goes so far. Dan

16. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I ran the second biggest CNC in ohio and the windmill hubs, tower adapters and the bed plates were normal work for the last couple years. that piece there is technically referred to as the front and rear bed plate the side facing down will connect to the tower adapter and let it move with the wind when it changes direction. the side facing the semi is where your hub will bolt we have ran different size hubs ranging from 15 to 30 tons each. the bed plate is kinda lite around 10 tons after machining it everything that goes inside of it that makes it need a super truck to move.
    A Ive worked with caterpillar and MAK proving out programs for their cruise ship engines thats a big job straight sixes and straight eights as long as school buses and weight around 50 tons each and have 3 foot cylinder bores with 18 inch crankshaft journals.

17. recurvyarcher

Yeah, what Timb99 said. Watts up wid dat?

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

This is a photo of one of the biggest "boondogles" ever created. Totally unreliable and nothing but a pain in the ass for real power producers who have to adapt their operations to accommodate them.

Like WPT said, they're carrying shit but it's not human, it's Bull.

19. recurvyarcher

As EE states above, in the vector representation, the rectangular coordinates are called X and Y. But in the complex number representation (a + bi), the same components are referred to as real and imaginary. When the complex number is purely imaginary, such as a real part of 0 and an imaginary part of 120, it means the voltage has an amplitude of 120 volts and a phase of 90°. This would be shown on an X-Y graph as a vertical line straight up from coordinate 0,0 (forming a 90 degree angle with the X-axis).

As you can see, the imaginary number represents a REAL quantity (volts).

Hope that explanation helps.

Fields and Waves are boring. Let's get into rotation, where we can use MULTI-DIMENTIONAL numbers! LET'S GET DEMENTED!!!!

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

A well to do family, a few miles from here put one up in back of their palatial mansion, They ran it for about a month, shut it down, then had it taken down. Guess those were some of the "green jobs" President Windbag is always lying about.

One of the area schools bought into this "green jobs" BS and spent 4.6 million on theirs. Only problem was the "green jobs" they "created" were in India where the thing was manufactured.

What are the figures on these things? Something like "if they ever get all of them operating they will produce 1 to 6% of this country's presently required electrical needs, IF the wind is blowing between 5 to 17 mph"?

Thay've also found out there aren't any adequate/economical transmission lines available to handle the power they can generate. Even the seed farm that originated in California doesn't have a way to transmit the power it can generate because the transmission lines weren't big enough.

Does Al Gore sell stock in this junk? Evidently it isn't Haliburton, otherwise Reid and Pelosi'd have them all shut down by now, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.