1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's happening to Remington?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

What

I was just reading that the new Versa Max shotgun was recalled? This company seems to be going down the tubes...First the issue with their rifles, then the 105 Cti and now this? What's up?

2. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

What I find interesting, is that they bought Dakota Arms, in Sturgis, SD. That was sometime last year............Rob

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Really?

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Mostly they are under attack by the left wing anti-gun factions.

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Yeah but their products are failing....Seems like their design testing and Q/C are something to be desired...Another recall will not help Remington's slipping reputation that's for sure!

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Aren't they owned buy an investment group? If so what do they care about quality?
    All they want is their dividens. Dave T.

7. tj303

tj303 Member

Google is your friend.

Cerberus Capital Management

"Firearms - Acquired Bushmaster Firearms, Inc., from Windham, Maine native Dick Dyke for an undisclosed sum in April 2006, and purchased Remington Arms in April 2007. Under Cerberus direction, Bushmaster Firearms acquired Cobb Manufacturing, a well-respected manufacturer of large-caliber tactical rifles in August 2007. Cerberus also announced the acquisition of DPMS Panther Arms in December 2007. Remington Arms is in the process of acquiring Marlin Firearms."

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Remington Arms is in the process of acquiring Marlin Firearms"

Glad i have some older Marlin rifles before Remington had a chance to screw that up too. Remington has went to hell in a hand bag. It's a shame.

Matt

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sad state of affairs when companies are run entirely by accountants. Problem is the accountants think they are doing just fine because obviously there is a market for poorly made crap. Want an example, compare the 870 Wingmaster that we could get 25 years ago to the modern day 870 Express.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The express came out long before Remington was owned by Cerberus.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It appears Remington is spending more time on military contracts than before. They may have moved more of their resources to that area?

Ajax

12. 527varmint

527varmint Member

I would never buy another remington unless it was an older wingmaster. Their guns are junk these days.

they are living on the name.

You could get so many shotguns and rifles that cost less and perform better. like how can they compete with a beretta 390 for 550 bucks? Or cz, tikka, howa, savage, stevens all cost less then a 700 and will shoot as good or better then most 700's. Just because your grandads 700 or wingmaster is a fantastic gun doesn't mean their new junk will compare!

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't know, what is happening? I see the recall on the Versa-Max, but what else has suddenly happened to make Remington "junk" as described above? I have no use for an Express model of anything, but some sure do. I believe they still make Wingmasters, I wasn't aware they are junk. Same for the 700.

14. wolfram

870, you are correct that you still can get a Wingmaster but even those aren't what we took for ganted not so many years ago. The 700's really do suck and it pains me to say that because I have been a life long M700 fan.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you think those are bad,..you should see how terrible current Marlins are that are now coming out of Ilion NY...I'm glad I have a bunch of old Marlins too..any ser# that begins with 91xxxx or lower should be a suspect

16. wolfram

It may well be that we are just showing our age but it just seems like everything is getting cheap and ugly theses days. Clavin, I know what you mean and when you talk about a Marlin lever gun I think of a nice shooting rifle with a decent piece of black walnut, silky smooth action and decently polished and blued steel. That just isn't reality today, sadly the consumer will accept this crap rather than pay for real quality.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

My TB was made in'69, but I have a 700 that is only a couple years old. What on the current 870's (not Express model) makes them junk? There aren't a bunch of tight tolerences to consider here. Same for the 700, I like mine, don't consider it junk, but admit I am no rifle expert. I wish you could get wooden stocks on some calibers that are only available in plastic now, but that's how it goes.

The 700 trigger issue may be rather current news, but the "problem" started 50 years ago and has nothing to do with current rifles. Not sure if that is what the OP was referring to.

18. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Didn't Cerberus also own Chrysler and sell it to Mercedes Benz ....full name as I recall was Cerberus Capital Management ..sharpshooters of a different kind !

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

So much for your ISO cetification. This should not happen with the One World Order of Quality. The well educatated college dumasses that no how to take the money off the top. With what is left buy another co. Dump the loosing company on the market and start all over again leaving the stockholders of the loosing co. with the scaves.
    Ameericans better wise up real fast or no matter what you have paid for in full, whether its you home, have a nestegg put away you are about to lose it all. Bill

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I believe Cerebus got Chrysler when they split, or were dropped, by Mercedes. Dunno how Cerebus made out on that. If they held Chrysler bonds they were screwed. It they did, I don't know how they survived.

If they held Chrysler equity?....well things were happening so fast then I'm not sure how the equity holders fared. Pension plan got special favorable treatment by act of congress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.