1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats going at St Chas Sportsmens Club IL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ok2spendit, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

Hey anyone know whats going on in IL at St Charles Sportmens Club, Elburn?

I hear that their club president is on a rampage, cancelled club support of the womens shooting group, ticked off the guy running the Junior program so he quit and now someone said he posted a terrorist alert on their newsletter but I dont see it online yet on their website. That is just great PR for a gun club. They are lucky they don't have the Feds knocking on their door.

Heard I hear a lot of guys talk about not shooting registered shoots there because charge more than everyone else. They have some Ladies and novice shoot coming up I was going to put my kid in but the fees are crazy $15.00/50 and then the ATA fees on top of that. Supposedly they call it the kiddie shoot. I don't see the point in being derogatory! Not a great way to promote the sport especially when we are seeing more women and youths joining the competition ranks.

2. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

"I hear ..........."

"...someone said he posted a terrorist alert....."

"Heard I hear a lot of guys talk.........."

Why on earth would you post these words? No facts here. Just innuendo, gossip etc.

And then after all these inflammatory words, you post

"I don't see the point in being derogatory!" Who is the "they" you refer to who call it the kiddie shoot? Never heard that term except here.

I think you'd be better off finding out facts before posting words such as you have. St Charles is a fine club, arguably the best place to shoot in Northern Illinois. Come by sometime and introduce your self.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

Hey I am not saying its not a nice club, I have shot there, it is a nice club. I just called a member there and he said indeed the Presidents Message says Terrorists Alert- Elevated! He said he got it like he does every other month in the newsletter. I dont have any problem posting it when I get it if you think I am making it up, I just thought it was a very odd statement for a club to make in light of everything else going on in the world.

As for the other stuff, my point is you have to support the junior and women shooters dont penalize them. My family shoots, got my 2 sisters to start shooting this year. Its got to be about promoting the sport.
    I have met a lot of nice people at a lot of clubs. Then again I have seen many members ignore new shooters. What's a target cost .06-.08 why charge kids anything to shoot?

Give your support/instruction, loan them guns, get ammo donated. Its not a cheap sport. My point about the 2 bucks is not the 2 bucks I would rather see it go back to the sport and not a club just because they can get it.

4. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good evening Tron, if you are in the area again, come on down to Downers Grove SC. I believe we have 4 skeet fields, and we would be happy to see you. I don't shoot much skeet myself, but would be happy to witness a master shooter such as yourself in action. Rodbuster.

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I go there to shoot and have a good time. Have yet to fail. Well, one day it was pretty darn cold so I didn't have much fun and another time they were closed on Tuesday (for the winter season). Went to Gander instead. Good location.

It's a great club. Targets are usually set well. Pricing is avg. People are fine. I'm quiet and I seem to find somebody to talk with every time...

They're open Tues & Thurs nights, Sat morn and Sun morn. Johnny and I hit the skate part in Batavia (Rt. 25), then St. Chas to shoot and back to the skate park. We're out of mom's hair most of the day. Now that's pretty good if you ask me.

6. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

Oops bad etiquette on my part, been a member for some time. Name's Mike Sullivan.

Called a friend of mine at the club tonight, after I obviously touched a nerve.
    Said they did get the April newsletter and yep it states Terrorist Alert-Elevated. My point is what value does that bring to the members or public to get that kind of propaganda? I have friends in Iraq and it pisses me off that some bozo would even use those terms to lightly when people are giving their lives to fight terrorists. Sorry but I find it disgusting!

Dave is it? If you are a member then you must have gotten it as well.
    I took a few minutes to discuss with my SC friend and yep you are correct the extension cords on the sporting clays fields are being cut and have been for some time. He told me to read the website and I just did.

I saw 5 candidates who ran for office, a lawyer, a woman veterinarian who works the trap leaques, a air traffic controller who worked 911, the guy who runs the Pheasant program and past VP of the club and 2 guys who work with the junior shooters. Sounds like an evil group to me with nothing better to do than vandalize the club. My friend also told me that the 5 who ran for office were well liked and shot with many of the existing directors until they ran for office. Funny what competition does to you!

What it really sounds like is that the old regime felt threatened by the folks running against them and let loose with the propaganda. Happens at the best of clubs. Its human nature. I know that Downers has had their fair share of it as well as have many other clubs.

So now it sounds like you all are accusing them of vandalizing sporting clays, a game they shoot in retaliation for losing an election? What did these folks do anyway in the first place other than run for office?

As for no one allows juniors to shoot for free,so what? Do you always have to do what everyone else does? Why not do it just because its a good idea.

I dont belong to SC. Obviously none of the folks that ran for office and lost were your friends or at least may not be after today. Talk about gossip, sounds like a lot of propaganda is going around that club.

7. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

tomk2 & Tron:
    I don't shoot much skeet, but tomk2, your reasoning about the skeet field may be correct. The club handbook says that the skeet field was designed to be member operated and members must receive instruction on the safe operation of the equipment. Sorry Tron.

ok2spendit:

The opening post of this thread is just plain gossipy and, IMO, designed to get something going. Dave T may be correct - that you (who remains anonymous and never posted under this screen name before) have some sort of motivation behind starting this thread.

If you really think juniors should shoot for free, then you can underwrite the cost; I'll present it to our Board and suggest we have a volunteer who is willing to pay the fees for junior shooters. If I do this and get approval, will you send the Club a certifed check for what we expect to spend on juniors this year? We'll square up with you at the close of the shooting season, OK?

Clubs are not in business to give things away. We promote junior shooting by discounting fees for junior members now - check our website - the fees are posted. Surely you must be aware that most clubs are not-for-profit and, in order to keep that status must carefully balance how they take in funds and how they spend funds; the federal and state regulations for non-profits are complicated and are such that an unwary club can lose their not-for-profit status unintentionally. Something as apparently innocent as free shooting fees for a certain group might, under some circumstances, cause problems. So please, if your true gripe with St Charles is that the Novice Shoot on May 5 has fees higher than you might like for your kids, take your kids somewhere else. Find another club in the area that has an ATA shoot specifically for juniors and go there.

And, the next time you decide to mouth gossip and innuendo, do it to someone who might be interested - do it in front of a mirror.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

Thanks Dave, be happy to shoot with you.

Sorry I misread your email thought you said you were glad they new guys didnt get elected, I assumed that included your friend(s).

Without going into it, the explanation I got on the "terrorist alert" was, it was directed at those same folks who ran for office because they asked for an environmental and certified tax audit. If you want I can email you offline the newsletter as I received it, it looks like it is the April one which I do not see online, it's a pretty big pdf file. Nice format, looks a lot like the Naperville newsletter.

Not at all related to the US News etc...

I know a lot of clubs are looking at their tax status because of what has happened to a couple here already. Makes sense to know where you stand and be proactive rather than reactive.

9. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Mike Sullivan:

The next time you come out to St Charles to shoot, ask your member friend to introduce you to Bob Scherf. If you come alone, find me and I'll introduce you. Make sure you are introduced as "This is Mike Sullivan and he thinks you're a bozo, Bob." Bob's our President and I'm sure he'd love to hear your opinions about our club newsletter and club operations. I suspect his first question might be, "And Mike, when did you become a member of our club?"

After you meet him, tell him what you think about his posting "News" in a Newsletter. In case you haven't been paying attention, Homeland Security posts the threat level each day on their website. Newspapers all around the US and websites are carrying it as News. Apologies if you feel it belittles what your friends are doing in Iraq. I've directed my disappointment and anger to those in Washington who claim to support the troops but won't support them by sending them what they need and are undercutting their mission. It seems to me your disgust is misdirected.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

I have no problem telling Mr. Scherf that using the words "terrorist alert" in in conjunction with one of his own club member or member(s) is in appropriate. Here, you obviously havent even read your own newsletter, is his statement,

I don't know the man but anyone who uses completely disregards the words should be sent overseas to really see what its all about, I am sure that he could have found a more professional and appropriate way to address the membership whether you believe his rhetoric or makes no difference to me. Sounds like he has something to hide!

President’s Message
    Terrorist Alert - Elevated!
    Sounds harsh? Well, it isn’t. There is
    a small minority in our membership
    who, I believe, would rather bring our
    club to its demise and ultimately close
    our front gate if they don’t get their
    way. Based on what has been happening
    at the last two meetings these
    President’s Message continued...
    members have their minds set on doing what I just
    described. Your board of directors and officers are currently
    taking some necessary measures to stem any further
    attacks on our club.
    Please remember that Sportsmen’s clubs and Gun clubs
    are very fragile by nature. One wrong action or one wrong
    decision can permanently close our club. Two areas in
    particular that are the most sensitive are the treasury and
    the environment. Club operation of both of these areas
    have been challenged at recent meetings. For the first time
    since I have been a member, our club has been attacked
    from within! I find this unbelievable but true! In my
    opinion, the reason is Sour Grapes! What a shame!
    If you want to see first hand what is happening at the
    club, please make it a point to attend the next membership
    meeting. I’m sure you will see what I am talking
    about as the challenges continue.
    Our club is known as a friendly and open club and I
    would like to see it continue as such. Therefore, I feel it
    may be time for some unhappy members to find another
    club to enjoy if they do not like the way we operate.
    Remember to share your sport and bring a friend to the
    club. God bless America. Hope to see you all shooting
    your favorite sport.
    ...Bob Scherf
    President

11. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well I have not seen the news letter since I signed up to read it online to save the club some money. I usually find one around the club and read it. If it was done as a joke to poke fun at those who ran for election then that is WRONG! I would be one of the first ones to call BS on that one. In fact an employee of the club during the elections wrote a letter and it was posted on our web site. He talked down to those running etc and I called BS. In fact now being around the guy who wrote it I can tell he isnt happy with me. Guess what? I DON'T CARE! He spoke bad about a fellow member and had no right to do so. I hope that our President etc is not being that inmature. I have heard about what clubs have gone through and I hope that we are taking actions to make sure our records and procedures are in order. I have no problem with people making the board be accountable and disclose to its members relevent information. As long as its for a useful cause and not just trying to annoy them.

If this is true I wish you would have put your original comments into context rather then 20 post later explaining what your actually talking about. It makes a lot of difference and I bet you would find many of us would then agree with you. The way your post have been not until your last one have you explained yourself and made what your issue with the terror alert clear.

12. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

Dave, when I wrote the first post I was asking, hadnt seen the newsletter. called a friend got clarification, and got a copy for myself. Hadnt realized you all hadnt seen it.
    I thought you had, round we go.

13. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Send it to me I would love to read it! K80Dude@yahoo.com

14. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

OK, Mike Sullivan. I apologize. I hadn't seen the newsletter but thanks to you I have seen part of it. And guess what? Within the context of what I know about recent behavior by certain folks at the club, I have no problem with the President of our club MAYBE getting people's attention by using the analogy he did. There is a good deal more to this than even your friend knows and it will not be discussed here. In any case, analogizing it to terrorism, while a bit of overstatement, isn't far off the mark. Maybe he should have called it an attempted coup in progress or something else. In any case, I don't find fault with him for it at all. And he's certainly not a bozo.

I do, however, still find fault with your original post which, we now know by your own words, was posted without all the facts at hand. Indeed, you are getting your facts from your member friend, who may not himself have all the facts. So please, be careful what you post here before you have facts.

And come out to our club. You'll find it a nice place to shoot. And we aren't all bozos.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

15. ok2spendit

ok2spendit TS Member

Thanks, ya know I got to say I dont want to know what "this recent behavior" is, but being a betting man, I would be willing to bet that everything that everyone says is all heresay about who did what etc...
    Usually always is, starts out something that someone said and turns into a life of its own. Just like this sporting clays thing. From what it sounds like they have no idea who is doing it but obviously are pointing the finger.

I wish you luck in finding the culprit(s) Why cut a cord? I have seen your machines they just sit out there dont they? Sounds like it could even be someone wanting to make it look like these guys, some damage but not enough. Doesn't make any sense.

16. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

How does St. Charles get away with charging $30.00 for 100 registered targets anyway? The ITA rules state no club can charge more for targets than the price charged at the Illinois State Shoot. This year it's $26.00 per hundred. Maybe the law of supply & demand will prevail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.