1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's everyone using for sorting shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I made about 160 lbs of shot yesterday and am wondering what everyone is using to sort there shot by size. I an not too picky and will take anything in the 7 1/2 to 9 range. What is a cheap and effective way of doing this?

2. virg

virg Member

I used to use a vegetable collendar, the rounded type, drilled some extra holes the same size as the ones in it. Worked ok, just a little slow. Now I have several trays that are about 14" square and thousands of holes in it, can sort 500# in about 10 to 15 minutes. Virg

3. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

virg, you mind telling us what kind of trays you have ? I get some large shot in with the 7-1/2 and have tried the collendar but it lets 3 2 shot through so must be too big holes.
    chuck-d

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

still looking for a sorce of perferated sheets of steal with the right size holes for 7.5 shot. I started making my own, painfully. I found some cheap radiator cover material at hard ware store. A tad to big of holes. but works pretty good sifting lead from range. Called Radiator grill cover.

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

why not use steel mesh in the right size. That is how we sort gravel in a crusher operation. We use a series of screens on a slant shaking with the largest holed screens on top. Each screen keeps gravel larger than the mesh above it and goes off to a seperate conveyer. The bottom is a pan that takes off the sand. Why not just steel mesh in the right size made with rolled (round) steel wire? Jake

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Jake good point, what im having a problem with is finding screen mesh in my area thats will hold up. All I have been able to find locally is your average 1/2" chicken wire or house screen. They do not hold up well. house screen that is.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Jake good point, what im having a problem with is finding screen mesh in my area thats will hold up. All I have been able to find locally is your average 1/2" chicken wire or house screen. They do not hold up well. house screen that is.

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

There must be some where to get it. Maybe if you ask specifically for that with a specific new topic on this or some other forums someone will know.That bunch over at the double gun forum are smart as whips. Best Regards, Jake

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have found several sources, but nothing of any quality. been searching web sites etc ect. Have found some perforated steel sheets but not the correct size holes? Next time it rains Ill go back to drilling some more holes?

10. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

Check ebay, I bought some perforated trays that are sized for 7.5. The guy was selling them specifically for sorting shot.

11. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

this place sells stainless steal screens all sizes

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Nice work jornski.

13. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

look here also

14. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

look here also

15. 333t

333t Member

Your local hardware store carries a heavy galvanized screen called hardware cloth. Have them cut you off a piece of the size you want with 1/8" mesh. If you run your shot over this with the screen held at a slight angle, the larger stuff will roll right off and the 7.5 and smaller shot will go through the screen. Works great and doesn't cost much at all.

Phil

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Try these people. Very helpful, and had round punched sheeting, sheared to your specs.

Tell them what size holes you want in .000, and they can recommend something very close. I always go just a hair bigger than shot size.

Shot size: #9 = .080, #8 = .090, #7.5 = .095, #7 = .100

Danny

17. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Get a sheet of the decorated expanded metal at one of the box stores , but one coat of enamel paint on it and your 71/2 home brew shot will screen through just lovely.

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Try this place. Go to page 368, They have more screens than you can shake a stick at.

Jim

19. barnbarron

barnbarron TS Member

Go to wally world in the office supply section----screen trash baskets and memo trays that could be used in a variety of ways.
    Barnbarron

20. GoldEx

GoldEx Well-Known Member

The thing you guys keep forgetting is that when you sift using a flat screen of some type, once a hole gets plugged with an oversized pellet, that hole is useless. The sifter needs to be self cleaning. A rotary type sifter is the only way to fly. The sifting holes turn upside down and release the oversized pellet and allow the hole to be used again. We are still working on a simple design. One method we are tinkering with is to take a 5 gallon bucket and cut several 2 inch wide by 12 inch long rectangular holes in the bucket. Mounted from the inside of the bucket are pieces of the mesh material you guys are talking about here. They are held in place with strips of thin gauge flat stock and short pan head screws. The bucket assembly (which has been shortened to the proper length)fits inside a cheap mortar mixer. This is the mixer they always have on sale for $99 at Harbor freight. The mixing drum is a 2 piece set up. You remove the front of the drum (and the vanes from the inside of the mixer)and then insert the modified 5 gal bucket and bolt the mouth of the drum back on. The mouth of the drum holds the bucket firmly in place. Shot is poured into the 5 gallon bucket and as the drum rotates, the shot falls through the mesh and collects in the void between the plastic bucket and the metal drum. You can accomplich two things here at the same time. If you add a little graphite to the shot while you are sifting, it gets graphited at the same time it gets sorted. Two operations for the price of one! You will need to modify your mixer by cutting an access hole through the outer drum wall to allow the removal of the sorted and graphited shot. If not, you will need to unbolt the drum mouth and empty the shot out that way once the unit gets about 100 pounds of shot collected in it.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.