1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whats best glue to repair wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by berettagold53954, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

have small crack on side of forend wood not growing but want to make sure it never does. whats the best glue??

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

The guy that made my wood PFS grips used Super Glue to stop a crack in my forearm. If you can spread the crack, carefully, good but not necessary.

JON

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with gorilla glue.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The forend is usually very thin wood that needs a little reenforcement. The way I would repair it is to take a small V file and make a channel on the inside of the crack. Then I would cut a few short channels at right angles to the crack and use epoxy to repair the crack and fill all of the channels. I also have placed some very small pieces of bamboo in the cross channels. Bamboo is a grass but it is very strong and flexible. All work should be done from the inside of the forend.

Others will recommend a dab of super glue but I prefer epoxy.

Pat Ireland

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Super glue is made for non porous materials, epoxy would be a better choice

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gorilla Glue, but use it sparingly and carefully, it really works ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Pat,

Good idea on how to reinforce the repair.

Jim C

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Gorilla glue expands as it sets up much like spray foam insulation. Elmers Carpenters wood glue would be my choice.

Eric

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Where do you get bamboo?

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If you use carpenters glue get the water proof stuff, might get caught in a rain storm

But Mr Ireland's idea is a good one, it will give it some additional strength

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane glue. It expands and bubbles as it dries. Don't use it where cosmetics count.

12. high 2

high 2 Member

Hot Stuff, super glue formulated for wood. Nothing better!

13. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

Another advantage to super glue (CA)is it will wick into the wood grain, which will help bond the repair.

14. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Southjblue, buy a Tiki Torch ($3) at a hardware store - I recently bought some at Home Depot. The handle is made of bamboo. You'll have a lifetime bamboo supply for small repairs such as described by Pat. Sometimes the chopsticks in a Chinese restaurant are made of bamboo also.

15. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

thanks guys im going to try the super glue its not really in a place where it gets alot of abuse its on side right behind iron that meets rec. just bought gun and neither of us noticed it. theres a tiny ding in forend iron where it looks like something got closed in it must have been just enough pressure to crack wood wish it wasnt there its a nice rp bt99 wouldnt be able to tell it wasnt brand new if not for that

16. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

whatever glue you use, an strand of unwaxed dental floss can help work the glue deep into the crack right up to the origin. This his been very helpful to me in the past to ensure the glue gets in completely.

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Super glue. it's the best. Not the jell get the liquid. All the others will leave a mark of glue that you will see. Split a few pieces of wood and test it for yourself. You will go with the super glue. To quote an old ad... try it you'll like it!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

southjblue- I get bamboo from the area behind my shop. I have about 500 bamboo plants. The stems are around 3.5 inches in diameter and about 30 feet tall. The smallest branches are around 1/64 of an inch. It still amazes me to see a new shoot break ground in March and be 30 feet tall in mid April. The stuff is very strong.

Pat Ireland

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Pat---Do you live in a jungle?---sjb

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have used Titebond type III carpenters glue. It is water based (and waterproof) and does not expand at all. Be sure to clamp it overnight and the fix will be stronger than the wood (clamping is the key). Its also leaves a thinner repair line than any epoxy (thicker) I have ever used so that the crack will not be as pronounced (I have used most types). If you still want to channel and fix (backside) with bamboo after the glue drys go for it. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

repair crack in wood forend