1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats best and cheapest way to ship shotguns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JodyR, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodyR

JodyR Member

Just curious from those that have done it...what was the cheapest and best way to ship a shotgun? Anything in particular I need to look out for or do? Thanks

2. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

I use an aluminum gun case and FEDEX online. You seal the case with tape and print out a shipping label which you also tape to the case but not covering the bar code. FEDEX will pick it up or you can drop it off. I keep reusing the same case.

3. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Cheapest AND best don't necessarily go together when shipping a firearm. Which ever way you go, don't forget to insure for full value with a tracking number.

Pat

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have shipped a lot of guns through the USPS. I ship priority mail, insured and delivery confirmation. Never had a problem. Ed

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most shippers will not insure outer container. Put the box in a box. Factory packaging lacks protection, use bubble wrap and lots of it.

I have an account (free) with Fed Ex, have had great feedback and no problems in years and many hundreds of shipped packages.

Go to the terminal, NOT a Fed Ex store. These are not the same.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

USPS is my shipper. I have also used Fedex, necessary for handguns and ammo.

The Brown Crushing Machine is not an option.

HM

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

USPS, priority mail, insured

When packing, assume the worse and you won't have a problem!

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Start with where it's going... ask the receiver which they prefer.

I've had to ship with both UPS and FedEx due to the preference of the receiver. UPS and FedEx may have significantly different delivery timetables. If your shotgun will arrive after closing hours and WILL require an adult signature, is your receiver going to pick it up?!

My experience has been FedEx and UPS request firearms go through a "depot"... stores usually will not accept a "firearm" whole or an "action".

As was said above, insure for full value and pack well - don't skimp on packing material. Call your destination and your shipping point for confirmation. Phone first before you go...

Best regards,

Jay

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fedex ground

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

Using USPS priority, will they ask what's in the package? And is it OK to tell them its a firearm?

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Per your original question:

UPS

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"Using USPS priority, will they ask what's in the package? And is it OK to tell them its a firearm?"

You TELL them what's in the package, whether they ask or not. How else would you insure it?

Yes, firearms are OK, ammo is not. If an FFL is involved at both ends, even handguns are OK. My last purchase was a revolver shipped from FL to NY via the mail. Only problem is that the receiver may have to go to the post office to pick it up. Not an issue for my dealer.

I ship by registered mail, though it's a PITA. Package requires special paper tape, so every seam is sealed and can't be tampered with without it being obvious, and the dlivery is slow. But It gets signed for at each handoff.

13. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

Thank you Mike. That makes sense. I'm shipping my first shotgun today (sold on here) and just wanted to make sure.

14. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

FedEx is 30 miles one way and UPS 30 miles the other way for me so I ship USPS priority with delivery confirmation. If it is a handgun I have my FFL send it USPS. If you have insurance on your guns check your policy or ask your agent if the gun will be covered in transit. My insurance covers in transit firearms so I insure for $300 which will require a signature on the other end. USPS Registered Mail is an option for high dollar guns as the insurance is generally less. Registered requires paper wrapping and paper tape so it can be stamped at the seals but it is also signed for at each transfer point between you and the delivery point. Registered is probably the safest way.

15. lwr_

lwr_ Member

@Surveyin - Most Postal workers will not ask what is in the package. I only divulge that it is a firearm when asked what is in the package. Do make sure you have the receiving FFL with you just in case they ask. I have shipped and insured firearms through the Post Office in amounts over $4000.00 and was not asked what was in the package. Do always have them mark the package as fragile.

I also carry a copy of the Post Office rules concerning shipping firearms to educate the ignorant when necessary. When they start interjecting their personal view on firearms, I remind them of para. 12.3 which states "Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms". It is just their job to comply with their established rules, not profess their political views.

Most Postal workers are professional and curtious. Some can be mean and nasty. Find the local Post Office and Postal worker that is most helpful and use them when you need to ship firearms.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

FedEx-cheapest with no hastle!!

17. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I tried to ship by Fed-X online and they would not accept a firearm unless I had an established account. Any other type shipment was OK. Others have said I should have kept the contents a secret or lied about what was in the pkg. Lots of luck if you do that and should have an ins claim.

About two tears ago I sent a Ljutic to the factory for refurbishing. Shipper was USPS Priority. Totally destroyed the plastic case, gun was OK I filed a claim on line and had a ck for full value in my mailbox in two bussiness days. Unbelievable but true. Marc

18. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Just shipped one the other day. USPS quoted me $18.50 and FEDEX did it for $13.50.

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

According to the thegunzone.com website FedEx requires shipments of firearms to go FedEx Priority Over night so I don't know how that could be cheaper. Additionally it appears that Federal law requires shippers to disclose that the package contains a firearm at least to common carriers.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I shipped over 40 guns through FedEx last month. Generally price is around 2/3 that of UPS. USPS still rules on handgun shipping. Is that knock I hear at the door the shipping police? Fat chance!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.