1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats average?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This has probably been asked here before but here it goes again.

What is the average section in each disipline? Where does the majority stand in the overall picture. Example: I have roughly a 93 singles average to date. Where would i rank in the whole picture? Middle? Below Average? What about Handicap? Whats the average yardage?

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I don't know but I do wish more statistics were available through the ATA on this subject.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Half the people I know are below average.

-Gary

4. grntitan

Gary--What average is it that they are below??

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

AHH...but the other half are ABOVE average..........

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"The "average" winning score in singles is 100 ....

And the "average" handicap score is close to that ...."

AT major shoots you may be close to being right. At all the smaller shoots in the country weekly I doubt it very much not even close.

Bob Lawless

7. grntitan

I want to know where the majority of shooters stands average speaking? I know what it takes to win most shoots. I don't care if i'm above or below that line. Was simply just curious where one needs to be in each disipline to be considered above, below or right in the middle of the entire ATA Membership? Thought surely someone here might have a rough idea of those stats.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Matt when you or someone can tell us how many shooters in each class from D to AAA. Then we might stand a chance of figuring out the answer to that question.

BTW I am talking about all shooter from all states. It is an interesting question. However their are not a lot of statistics on the subject.

I asked Trap & Field why they didn't offer the average book on disc? I got blown off with most shooter like the book instead of a disc. I was asking about making the offer as an option. I got the feeling that who ever replied could not field that question as it went right over their head.

Bob Lawless

9. grntitan

I see where it could be difficult but the ATA's computers should be able to give all that info. You would think anyway.

10. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

What is the class the majority of A.T.A. shooters are in the singles, that will answer your question.If I remember correctly at one time D was the biggest class.Not sure if thats up to date???

Sandy Holehouse.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There are a lot of Trap shooters that don't shoot registered targets. At the local ATA shoots I've been to, your 93 is in the lower 1/3 of the shooters. At the non-registered shoots or just practice, you are right where most shooters are or just above.

The numbers are available. It will just take a bunch of time to get them out of the website. They are all available on line.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Matt get a annual ATA average book. It's loaded with average info. Many think it's just a register of shooters and their annual target totals and average. It may not give you your exact answer but it will let you compare state wise and nationaly.

Don

13. grntitan

Don--I have been wanting to do that anyway. I'll get one and do some of my own ciphering. Like i said, i'm not really concerned where i'm ranked. I just want to know in general how it all lays out. Was just using my average as an example. I know i have to shoot way over my average to win. Been there.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Matt

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Better question is, what is average for you? To win at any tournament you have to shoot above your average. In my opinion, the average shooter in trap averages a 93.
    Steve Balistreri

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I just added and calculated the Missouri State Class singles scores from Thursday. 300+ entries and the average score was 186.

That should be a representative figure?

16. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The ATA has the results of every score fired by every registered shooter in each discipline loaded on their computer system. It would take about 3 key strokes to compute and publish an average for the total number of scores for evey discipline so you as a shooter could see where you fell in the whole ATA family.

Jeff

17. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I think the biggest problem would be calculating scores based on class.

If a shooter stated the year as a C class shooter and raised his average to B, I'm not sure they could separate the scores.

But I agree, they should be able to say last year we, as the ATA, shot at a specific number of targets and broke X % of them. It would be interesting to see.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

GoldEx,(Jeff) could you describe those three key strokes for us computer dummies? I think the question is a good one and would like knowing the averages myself!

Hap

19. milton03

milton03 Member

Rick
    You may want to check your calculation(s). Of the 328 entries in Thursdays Missouri State 16 yd class championships I count 225 that posted scores of 187 or better. The median/average score actually falls at 190; solid "A" class. This does however appear to correalte with the percentage of class entrants which breaks out to 49% A & above, 51% B & below. Entry's per class: AAA [42-13%], AA [60-18%] A [60-18%], B [68-21%], C [53-16%], D [45-14%].

What would be interesting is to see the lewis purse scores. My guess is at least 50% of the shooters didn't post a score high enough to even hit the lowest purse.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Just a best guess on my part would say around a med-high C Class ave. for all trap shooters. You have to remember there are many ave. type shooters out there that never shoot ATA, but only shoot in local League, or with local friends but need to be added to the ATA shooters. If you only wanted to ave. out ATA shooters I would have to say about the middle of B Class should get you close. I have no access to any other data. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.