1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whats a tastee way to prepare duck on the grill?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by miketmx, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Use a George Foreman cooker and grill for 5 minutes - tender and great eating.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Charlie Morrison, our ATA Delegate, prepares the best duck I have ever put on a plate. It must literally be experienced to be believed.

OK. Charlie, give it up!

3. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

got this recipe from a duck hunter in missouri: get a plank of hickory, pin the duck to the plank, cook it until the plank is blackened , throw the duck away and eat the plank!!

4. zap

zap TS Member

place the duck on the grill at a temp of 187 degrees for 4 seconds then throw it in the garbage and place your steaks on the grill and cook to your liking

5. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

sorry MIA didn't mean to ruffles your feathers! so what if the joke is old its still funny and duck still tasta like chicken!

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor, eat the grill..........

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I used to cook duck breasts the same way we cook pheasant. Skin the pheasant, cut into pieces dip in flour and slightly brown the meat in frying pan. Place the browned pieces in glass caserole and cover with seasoning and milk and cook in oven at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes. This keeps the meat tender and not dry as roasting would certainly do. Like I mentioned, we now cook the duck breasts the easy way in the George Foreman lean mean grilling machine for 5 minutes and they taste great.

8. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

MIA its all good i read alot of your posts/comments laugh at some cuss at others......no harm.....no FOWL !! lol

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The best way to cook duck is to not OVERCOOK IT!! Lots of tasty recipes out there.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Tripod is right. Cook it as rare as you like beef or lamb. Blood rare if you eat other red meat that way. Duck is great. But most folks overcook it and it is then dry and not good. Then they blame the duck. (Course, it doesn't stop them from going out and shooting more of them.) Jake

11. butcher

butcher Member

Get in contact with the "Two Dog Deli" they have numerous tasty recipes for wild geese, ducks and venison to name a few.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

First thing..marinate them in buttermilk overnight....next day ..make a boat of aluminum foil use 1/8 cup of EVOO ( extra virgin olive oil) and pour into the foil bottom...spread 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic in the oil and lay 2 thick slices of onion..take the breasts still wet with the buttermilk..roll them in flour and lay on the onion..take another 1/8 cup of the olive oil and blend with 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar and pour over the breasts the sprinkle plenty of chopped rosemary leaves over the meat and grind a little peppercorn and a little sea salt...seal the foil and put on the grill folded side up....cook on low heat for 20-25min...at the last minute..open the foil and let the high open flame sear them about 1 minute per side...remove from heat and let them "rest" about 5 minutes...slice widthwise into 1/2" thin slices and the pour the juice mixture from the foil over the breast...it can be served over rice or also I have sliced portabello mushrooms and put them in the wrap too...you'll enjoy it

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have a couple of ways that work. The most important step is that the meat must be red in the middle. If this makes you uncomfortable then overcook it and enjoy your liver flavored duck. Italian dressing either bottled or the kind you make. Marinate overnight in a bowl or 10 minutes in a vaccum sealer. Grilled over hot coals medium rare AT MOST is one good way. I like to marinate them in soy sauce after splitting the brests in two lengthwise so you you will have two breats that are half as thick. 1 1/2 minutes maybe two is all that is needed if the grill is hot enough. Pink in the middle to red is the key. Any darker and you will have soy or Italian dressing flavored liver. Most people who rave about how they love wild duck have another wild game favorite in common. Care to guess what it is? LIVER.... Jeff

14. missed some

missed some TS Member

use a charcoal grill, get the brickets white hot, throw the duck on, cook for as long as it takes to drink 2 beers, remove from grill, cool off the brickets, throw duck away, eat the brickets, with potatoe chips they aren't bad.

15. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Fillet (butterfly) the breast
    Soak in a mixture of salt water and red wine vinegar for 2 days and drain
    Marinate for 3 days in
    6 tablespoons of soy sauce
    3 tablespoons of lemon juice
    1 cup brown sugar
    A taste of garlic
    ½ teaspoon of meat tenderizer
    Cooking
    Stuff with jalapeno rings
    Optional – add crème cheese filling
    Wrap with bacon
    Cook on gas grill on medium for 7 minutes per side

Options:
    Stuff with Greek or Italian sausage instead of jalapenos

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I use a mixture 1/3 Italian dressing and 2/3 7UP. marinade for 24 hours. Drain and grill over apple chips. I like garlic so use quite a bit for seasoning. As others stated, don't over cook.

17. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Admittedly -- there are some comical posts here......eat the grill, etc.

There are also some genuinely good-sounding recipes presented. I might even try one or two of them, myself.

What I will say, is that I recently hunted for ducks in Texas. The lodge where we stayed served farm-raised mallard breast and redfish for dinner the very first night we ate there. It was marinated in a raspberry chipoltle' sauce, and grilled to perfection.

We all remarked at how GOOD it tasted. Had anyone been asked what it was that they were eating, most would have offered "some type of pork fillet" as their answer. You could not tell that it was duck.

They also made a "hot" soup - featuring duck, jalepeno sausage, salt pork, rice, potaotoes, carrots, bay leaf and chicken broth that was "to die for". We could not get enough...........

As with most game meat, the secret is the proper preparation and seasoning. That often begins with the care of the meat at the FIRST step of the process, which is cleaning and skinning. It is difficult to expect anything to taste good, if you shoot it at 7am -- and (then) let it sit on the deck of a boat in the sun until you get back from the duck blind at 5pm.

I recently made a crock of chili, using Texas Red Heads as the meat stock. I pan-fried cubes of the breast in olive oil on a high heat, turning and mixing frequently. When they were browned well, I used my food processor to chop the cubes into small pieces. From there, I used my normal chili recipe for all of the remaining ingredients.

It turned out excellent, if I dare say so. A few guys at work (who do not hunt) even tried it, and everyone was clamoring for MORE !!

So -- to all those who would rather eat the plank, or the grill, or the aluminum foil, or whatever.................I'll take all of the fresh duck you want to get rid of.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jack...give it a try...and just so it will be easy for you..the recipe applies to squab too....just try it THEN give us all a review

19. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

My wife and I actually like wild fowl. This is how we fix it in the field on a hibachi. Remove breast meat and clean, pound flat. Season with lemon pepper and a littl salt. Wrap breast around a piece of Monteray Jack cheese and fasten with tooth pick. On a hot grill cook till medium, the cheese will be gone and either eat as is or with hoisen or oyster sauce. Makes a great noon time break in the action.
    Go Well
    Wayne

20. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

You don't use a grill here...but it's really good. Use a meat mallet and pound the breasts flat. Dip breasts in milk, then Bisquick, then fry in oil in skillet. Smother in Country gravy and enjoy with an Amber Bock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

7up marinade for wild duck