1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What's a perpetual purse?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

What

Explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chip Porter

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Forever !!!! Keeps going and going until someone hits it.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's a devastating disease my wife has which causes her to buy a new purse every 4-6 weeks even though she has never used 18 of the last 20 she bought ;)

-Gary

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Chip -

The ones I'm familiar with work this way (sometimes called a Sponsor's purse) . . .

Club gets six business/individuals/clubs to fund the initial purse, say $500 each. There are six purses that can be won.

Purse money is paid to anyone who breaks two 25's in handicap. Doesn't have to be 50 straight, just any two 25's out of the four traps. That leaves six ways to win (which is why there are six purses). Trap 1/2, Trap 1/3, Trap 1/4, Trap 2/3, Trap 2/4, Trap 3/4. The shooter breaking two 25's gets a percentage of the purse (50 percent where I'm at) that corresponds to the two traps that he recorded 25's on. A 100 straight in handicap would hit all six purses.

In order to be eligible you have to play an option. Around here it's $18, which is $3 per purse. That money is added to the purse money. Some clubs add the money paid the day of the shoot to the purse for that day, others apply the option money to the purse after the shoot.

Since you will never pay out more than a percentage of the purse (i.e. 50 percent, multiple shooters divide) there will always be money in the purse - thus the name perpetual purse.

Scott

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Is that what the Ford purse would be Scott.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Big M -

Not the same as a Ford purse. The perpetual purse is paid to anyone who breaks 2 or more 25's in a handicap event. No carry overs, no 2nd trap determining the winner of the first, etc.

Scott

"FORD PURSE

There are five individual purses, one of $1 for each of four sub-events (events of 25 targets) plus one of $1 on the total score on 100 targets. To determine the winner of a Ford purse consider all the high scores on the first sub-event to be in a tie for the first purse; then these same shooters decide the winner on subsequent sub-events exactly as in a shoot-off. Ties will be decided by reverse score by sub-event, if necessary, for the second and third purses, and completely by reverse score by sub-event on the fourth purse. The fifth purse or total will be won by the high score, ties divide.

The maximum amount a shooter may win is the value of two purses: one from winnings on score in the sub-event plus one from winnings on the total score."

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

My $0.02 on the matter. A perpetual purse is not anything specific at all. All it means is that the money keeps carrying over until it is finally won by somebody. Clubs can make up any rules, it can apply to singles, caps, one shot from from the parking lot, etc.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have problems with lotto games also! Lol

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It is what my wife thought she had every time she went shopping. lol

Hauxfan!

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

This was explained by V10 about a month ago regarding the Ford purse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the 2011 Empire Grand program:

"FORD PURSE

There are five individual purses, one of $1 for each of four sub-events (events of 25 targets) plus one of $1 on the total score on 100 targets. To determine the winner of a Ford purse consider all the high scores on the first sub-event to be in a tie for the first purse; then these same shooters decide the winner on subsequent sub-events exactly as in a shoot-off. Ties will be decided by reverse score by sub-event, if necessary, for the second and third purses, and completely by reverse score by sub-event on the fourth purse. The fifth purse or total will be won by the high score, ties divide.

The maximum amount a shooter may win is the value of two purses: one from winnings on score in the sub-event plus one from winnings on the total score."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Beware - the people who contribute the purse, after they are gone, can't defend the use of the money and in some cases the money is spent on other things and the original sponsors are just forgotten. Damn shame!

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like what our government does.

13. 3357

3357 Member

One club I shoot at has a perpetual purse: Buy in is $1.00, it pays to whomever runs the first 50 targets in any registered handicap event. They post the updated total on the wall behind the registration desk. I have seen it as high as $400 plus.

14. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

I think that it is given different names by different folks but the outcome is the same. We call it a Handicap Jackpot. It was started by funding from the club and is meant to perpetuate. We collect $1 from all handicap shooters and put the money into the purse. The purse is paid out by a percentage based on score. IE: a 100x100 will get you 100% of the purse, 99 gets you 75%, 98 gets 50% and a 97 nets you 25%. When someone wins the amount reduces but will increase again as shooters play the purse or the club antes up again to make an attractive dollar amount. We are something over $400 at present.

15. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

When you win it, you have to give it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.